Best turn-based RPGs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Aug 26, 2011.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I still consider Chaos Rings to be the best turn-based RPG on the iOS, and, of course, there's the Square Enix FF ports.

But the vast majority of RPGs on the iOS generally are action RPGs. What are the best turn-based RPGs? I know that's not necessarily what's in style but I still like 'em for a change of pace.

2. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Do you like retro style or more modern graphics?

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Ahh, I like both. Just remembered that Sacred Odessey was another one in the later category, but can't play it on my 2G.

4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    - Rimelands: Hammer of Thor. Currently a buck and a great turn-based RPG.

- Battle for Wesnoth /HD is a personal favorite of mine but it's scenario based. Highly recommended.

- 100 Rogues. A great Rogue-like with RPG elements. Great for pick-up and play.

- Wolfenstein RPG. Classic!

- The Quest. Classic and very long 1st person view.

-Palm Heroes 2. Scenario based with rpg elements. Great strategy game.

- Crimson Gem Saga. Long RPG with an engaging story. Solid Turn based play.

Off the top of my head, these are good to look into if your looking for turn-based RPGs/Rpg elements. :)

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yes, I've got a few of those -- 100 Rogues, Wolfenstein RPG and Rimelands. Was looking at Crimson Gem Saga, but reviews seem to be mixed, particularly on the controls. Rimelands is good with its dice-based twist on the turn-based gameplay.

Guess I'm looking for something more in the battlescreen FF-style turn-based play. Didn't know if there were any hidden gems that I was missing.

6. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Crimson Gem Sagas' Controls just take a good 20-30 minutes to get used to. It's smooth sailing from there on end. When I initally got it, it was for my iTouch 2G(before I upgraded devices), and I can confirm that it works like a champ on that device. It's honestly a great RPG to have no doubt. The file size may be a turn off to some, but if you can get around that, you'll enjoy it I think based off your liking for FF titles.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    CGS's controls are awkward but definitely playable -- you just have to get used to them. If you are looking for a 16-bit FF-type experience, that's your best bet. Look our for the port of Lunar, which should be out soon; there's also Monster RPG 2.

8. thethird84

thethird84 New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    iOS RPG

Also for games like Retro style games like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior is Dragon Fantasy and Guardian Saga both are really good. IMO I like Dragon Fantasy better.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll have to take a look at those.

squarezero -- definately intriqued by the port of Lunar coming.

10. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    battle of wesnoth is not rpg but a strategy game. palm heroes is game with rpg elements? why people always mess with definitions? and Chaos Rings is jrpg. f blizzard and consoles.

11. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Monster RPG 2 is another good turn based RPG. It reminds me most of Final Fantasy IV, in that you have a plot determined, ever changing party of four, a last boss pulled out of nowhere, particularly challenging battles, and a battle screen GUI and battle animations reminiscent of the old Final Fantasies.

12. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    these 2 games is a must:

1- Battle for Wesnoth ( dont bother what people is saying its fantastic TBS)

2- Tactical Warrior ( has a a lite)

you may also try this other games

1- great little war ( has a lite)

2-Tactical soldier

13. klako

klako Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Undercroft is great. And it is free!

14. Gonzo_Gamer

Gonzo_Gamer Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Psychologist
    Sanger
    ive been looking for some good turn based rpgs myself. Here's what ive found so far

old school jrpg:
    final fantasy 1-3
    Ash
    gailardia 1-2

3D turn based rpg:
    eternal legacy
    chaos rings
    wolfenstein rpg
    doom 2 rpg

turn based strategy:
    battle for wesnoth
    great little war game

thats just what i remember off the top of my head, ill look up the rest of the jrpg's i have on my iphone and ipad and do another post within the next few days with a more comprehensive list.

if you enjoy the older 8-16 bit final fastasy rpg's then you will love ash. gailardia is an amazing rpg with great depth if you can get past the look of the control scheme, which works great but makes the game annoying to look at for the first 20 minutes untill you get used to it (you'll know what i mean when you play it).

15. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    #15 plasmakirby3, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    Crimson Gem Saga is the best; it's a PSP game ported to iPhone. Menu controls take a while to get used to but once you do, you're getting a more complete experience than Chaos Rings or Final Fantasy III.