Is this game so BAD?!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by goldneptune, Feb 17, 2012.

1. goldneptune

goldneptune Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
  2. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied

If you only get several free downloads each day, why does the appstore description say: "Over 650000 players enjoyed Labyrinth Game!!!"?

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Shared devices? ;)

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    He's either lying to gain trust... Or talking about the Labyrinth game by Illusion Labs.

5. goldneptune

Aug 26, 2009
    I think curling run is a Labyrinth Type Game.And my english is poor.If it's not good,i think i should delete it!
    Thanks a lot!

6. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    As a graphic designer, can I say, from the icon and screenshots, it looks extremely confusing. I know it seems rough to think people aren't even downloading something for free, but when they look at the new releases, there is so much to sift through that you really have to look good for them to take that time where they enter their password, allow their device to go back to the home screen and start downloading, before re-entering the app store to continue browsing, so even to get people to grab something free, the icon and screens need to be really attractive and interesting to them.

If the game is really fun, perhaps you could either take screenshots which better portray what happens in game, or even do those enhanced screenshots with borders which give you little blurbs of info on the game?

7. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    right!
    the quickly updating stream of new releases is quite overwhelming at times. gotta stick out in order to stand out.

8. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    According to iTunes (UK) the game doesn't actually have IAP, so that explains why you don't have any In App Purchases for it.

As DistantJ says it's all far too confusing. The screenshots look interesting, but without a proper explanation in the blurb, mentioning 'classic labyrinth games' when this clearly isn't one, calling it '___ Run' when it's not an endless running game, and listing "3*3*3*99 = 2673 combinations" as a FEATURE just throws off any assumptions that a player has to make about what you have to actually do. So they ignore it and move on.

Look at it from a potential player's perspective: If the developer can't be bothered explaining a game in iTunes (or having a website that does) how are they going to believe it's worth downloading? Being free makes little difference on this count as you're asking for their time whether it's free or paid.

I'm seriously curious though what "3*3*3*99 = 2673 combinations" actually refers to in the context of this game from the screenshots. It's like trying to understand 'i' the square root of -1 in your head or wondering what "4 8 15 16 23 42" meant in LOST.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think its good you deleted that text as it was misleading, millions enjoy Mario Land but you wouldnt mention that in the text of your own platform game.

Still think the app description needs changing and also the 'features'. I mean a feature which is 'doodle' doesnt tell you anything.

Have a look at similar games and see how they word their description and features, not saying copy it (!!!) but its worth looking how others have done it.

Your text/features do not help sell the game at all. Think the screenshots look quite confusing and again dont tell me much about the gameplay (i dont play any of these labyrinth style games you mention but looking at the screenshots i wont anyway)

Also i know the game appears to be 'hand drawn' kinda thing but the app icon looks very bad and will put some people off for that alone.

Sorry just being honest as an iOS fan who buys 100's of apps.

10. Chopper12

Chopper12 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I agree with everyone. But you should also make a thread in the iTunes games and apps section in the forums so people will know about it and maybe try it.

11. goldneptune

Aug 26, 2009
    My desc only left:
    Curling Run is a game where you control the curling while avoiding holes and traps to reach the destination.

99 gorgeous looking levels with challenging puzzles to solve!

No IAP in UK?Why?

12. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    IAP doesn't show up in the iTunes description until someone buys it I believe.

13. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    I can't find an iap inside the app either lol, it's pretty fun though a bit hard for my casual tastes and the menus are slightly confusing (how on earth do I get from a level back to the menu!?)

14. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I think this game is too difficult because of the control. If the tilt is smoother, it will be more enjoyable. Also at some levels there are too much things on the screen that makes me give up instantly. Things are overcrowded for me.
    I can't find the IAP options also, maybe because it will pop out immediately after one of the latter levels. The problem is, this version doesn't make me curious about the upcoming levels. Even level two is too much for me. I think as a free teaser, the game should give something not too easy, but definitely not hard. If I can't stay playing until, let's say, 10 levels, how will I buy the IAP?

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    From looks alone I wouldn't download it. It looks like a confusing mess.

16. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    looked at the screenshots, and there are two issues that would put me off the game.

1. Like everyone here has mentioned, it's too complicated looking with all the [ugly] shapes on the screen, it's not really clear what you have to do, and doesn't look visually pleasing, which I think is extremely important looking at the number of similar [and other] games on the App Store, looking nice is a basic requirement to standing out.

2. The game is called Curling Run but it doesn't seem to be either of those things? it's not a curling game, as is evident from the screenshots, nor is it a running game. i'm sure you got more than a few downloads of people expecting something totally different than what they actually got.