Heads up: don't update Atari app if you got the free games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greyskull, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    You might recall that Atari gave away all of the IAP games in its collection to celebrate its anniversary. There is a new update out which, judging by the description, adds tickets which allow you to play 10 arcade games per day.

If you didn't take advantage of the freebie deal, it might be worth DLing now since you can play for free...but if you, like me, DL'ed the entire catalog, I would be cautious I'm regards to updating.

At least this app update says what it does!

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    They also said during the promotion that it was a temporary thing until the app was updated.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#3 Eli, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Is this a real thing?

I mean, I read the original sale as being "limited time" as in you can only do the free unlock for a limited time. Not as in, there is going to be a massive shift in the IAP model and you'll only be able to play them for a limited time?

4. RodGreen

RodGreen Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I thought they said that it will 'stay free until you reinstall the app' - so they implied as long as you don't delete the app and reinstall, it will remain free.

But I maybe wrong.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Per Atari's PR dudes:

6. esmith13

esmith13 New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    I had the free app with everything unlocked. i updated mine and it told me about how the token system works. Once i passed that screen it showed me all the games and every one said "unlimited play" on the start button.

I played Breakout 11 times (quitting after each game) and it continued to launch and say unlimited play on the start button.

Of course, I backed up my .ipa from iTunes just in case. :)

Eric

7. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    #7 smes3817, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    I can confirm this is correct. I downloaded each game during the free promotion, updated the app this morning and I still have every game for free. There is an initial popup saying something like "hey we've added tokens blah blah blah..." but once you click through it, everything is still unlimited. I don't even see a place where tokens would be. All is good! :)

Edit: I would change the thread title as to not confuse the rest of the readers. Atari did well with this update for it's prior customers...

8. coolpowers

coolpowers Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Indie developer
    Coralville / Iowa City
    Another confirmation that everything is still unlocked. I only ever downloaded it during the promotion.

9. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Buy, what happens if you did not click on and unlock all 100 of those games before updating it? Would only those few games have unlimited gameplay then?

10. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Perhaps a mod should change the headline? :)

11. Yeah! Alright, now I can update...