What kind of games is the App Store missing?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Neehan, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    The App Store is littered with awesome games. But some genres just have a million stinkers, and some genres haven't been touched on much at all. This thread is to gripe about what's missing from the App Store.

I really want to see an NBA Jam or NBA Street type of game. I have yet to find a decent b-ball game on the App Store and refuse to buy the EA title after so many disappointing attempts playing their iOS sports games.

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

There are hardly any Cart Racers in the AppStore. (and those that are there are all old and ugly and so on.)

3. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Errr realy....

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I agree with the Kart racers comment.

Can't really think of genres that need more games, but I'd like to see games like Hot Shots Tennis, Super Smash Bros, Powerstone, and Crazy Taxi, and Pixeljunk Monsters in the App Store.

Those(not including SSB) are some of my fav. games on my PSP.

5. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Games like condemned. Also a lot of amazingly fun and (mostly) original flash games that I am really surprised have not been ported/recreated on to ios.

6. appfreak

appfreak Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Geek (Media editor)
    London
    I have to agree with really simple but addictive Flash games which could benefit from the device's portability and social features (Pandemic anyone).

But to be honest, what I'm really craving is a REAL tycoon game such as the classic Detroit (Wikipedia) or a version of Transport Tycoon. The experience with Sim City on the iPad makes me believe that they would be awesome!

7. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Pokemon. Pity it will never come :(

8. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    True, the EA basketball games are terrible if you're any kind of actual NBA fan. The thing that annoys me the most is how off their stats are. Guys who are actual lights-out 3 point shooters are mediocre or bad 3 point shooters in the game. Guys who are ferocious dunkers are, again, mediocre or bad at dunking in their games. It's really pitiful. And the gameplay has no realism at all. If they're going to make such arcadey sports games they may as well focus on the fun styles like NBA Jam or NFL Blitz.

As for Kart racers, I quite enjoy Crash Bandicoot 2. It's no Mario Kart, but then what is?

I'd also love to see more interactive novels, gamebooks, and more sci-fi RPGs.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    We need a game like Super Smash Bros. And we could also use more great platformers with great controls like Grokion and such.

10. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    +1 to PixelJunk Monsters! I'd love to play that game on my iPad. That is the first tower defense game I played, and it is my favorite! :)

11. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Rather than just games, I'd like to see more companies try to make quality First Person Shooters than just Gameloft.

12. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Metroidvania.

13. leslie2233

leslie2233 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    2K should make NBA 2k, Activision should stop being lame. All their owner tinks about is realeasing a new Call Of Duty game 2 months before the year is over & make a billion dollars in 3 weeks. While EA can't make high quality games without making so much money from it. The only good, big companies are Epic, Gameloft & chair they actually care about us IOS gamers.

14. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
  15. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    a real good hockey game.......there have been good attempts but no one has come through

16. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    NHL 2011 is very good... I want to see Super Smash Bros. or at least a very good online 3D fighting game

17. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    i play nhl 2011 but it is missing the one thing that i feel is necessary for a good hockey game and that is the dangle button

18. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    it misses a slavehack kind of game. That game had the 'mmo' formula in it, that most mmos on the iphone seem to miss.

19. XxlCraiglxX

XxlCraiglxX Active Member

Jan 19, 2011
    If I were to list the games I want on my iPod Touch, I would take up about a page and a half of space. I would love to see some games that have free-roam options. Right now, we have great games like Aralon and Silent Hunter, but wouldn't you love to see Bioshock, System Shock, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, or Fallout on your iDevices (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=81774). Also, I would love to see some stealth action games like the games of the Hitman series. The thought of Hitman: Bloodmoney on my iPod just made my heart skip 10 beats.

20. Tommy_jr

Tommy_jr Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #20 Tommy_jr, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    How about a game like notrium? Or a port of it..I've spent many hours playing that game..it's so good