Wayward Souls - Pixel Art Debate

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jyhjyh, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Is this ten pages of whining about pixel art? Pixel art owns, this game owns, shut the hell up

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    No. It's just one person whining. I put up my impressions a page back. #WS4Life

3. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
  4. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
  5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #25 Vovin, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

I guess that all those people loving pixel art so much just love to take a dive into the past again - with all those fond moments - when Amiga / Atari ST / SNES gaming was popular... and all those games from Square / Enix, like Chrono Trigger, Secret Of Mana, The Final Fantasy games ruled the gaming scene. We were used to pixelated graphics, and with these, many of the greatest games ever came. Sure, I guess we can call it "retro graphics", it's not an insult or something, but even today, pixel art games can be crisp and crystal clear, and beat some modern 3D games in beauty, style and love for details.

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I love pixel art and I've never played a retro game or an SNES game or any of those games that older games have nostalgia for. They're all before my time. I love the incredible diversity of the style and how it can be everything from charming and vibrant to dark and atmospheric. Pixel art has a minimalist vibe to it, not in terms actually being minimalist and abstract, but by subtly implying details rather than showing. Fluidly animating pixel art is a joy to watch (check out Crawl or Rain World again). And modern tech plus pixel art can lead to some really cool innovative styles; for example Rain World combines procedural animations and soft body physics over a skeletal frame and pixel graphics to give its creatures such natural movements.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #27 Vovin, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

Sure, it wasn't my intention to exclude the younger gamers among us, but I noticed quite a few of the older members here were really hyped for the pixel graphics. Still, without these, we wouldn't have all the other modern stuff, and yeah... thinking of it as a nice, old grandma or granddad, which you like to visit once in a while, retro graphics offer some fantastic remembrances about games from your past.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've heard this sentiment before, but my own experiences, coupled with that of the developers and artists I've worked with, indicates the opposite (hence my post, which was not based on idle assumptions). Perhaps indicative of very different artistic processes, no matter the medium.

Pretty much what I assumed and theorized in my initial post :) Luckily, Wayward Souls, more than most games, pulls it off with flair.

Ah. Ah, well, complex, varied characters beat out a large number of classes almost any day.

I doubt the effect would be as such. But yeah, sounds like a sound plan. A clear distinction and divide might just be the way to go for the platform.

9. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I haven't played wayward or watched any videos. Some pixel graphic games really do pull it off with such flair as to be "pixel art". A lot don't. Again, not commenting on wayward directly, either way. Pixel graphics are fine by me. If there is an added effect of keeping costs down, that's just a bonus. They also age well. Games from the 8/16 bit era can still look really good.
    In all honesty 3d graphics tend to age the worst. Look at 3d games from years back. Games we thought were amazing are ugly ducklings. The same thing will happen with the ones from today. Not really a reason to not make them. Just something to consider.
    Hand painted graphics are my personal preference. They age well. I'd argue that they look the "best".

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I like the graphics here. They put Infinity Blade to shame. #WS4Life

11. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    #31 brighteyes74, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Ok I'm quoting myself but I'm back to wifi and I made a mistake, these graphics are not As retro as I first thought . After watching the video.9