Updates not working

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by psj3809, Oct 10, 2014.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Strange issue today

Got 3 updates, everytime i click on one to update instead of updating the app it takes me straight into the game ??

First time it happened with Motorsport Manager today, thought it might have been an odd one off. Happened to two others now.

Can anyone else update apps?

2. C3FFF0E

C3FFF0E Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Moderator in Vainglory Forum
    Philippines
    #2 C3FFF0E, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    This fixed your problem!

[]My Side[]

Me too :(

Got 3 games to update. Infinity Blade III, Deemo & Temple Run 2. Instead of updating the games, it straights me to the game. Can't update anygame since appstore updated this week. I already contact the dev. Of those games, they said everything is fine. But for me, its not working. :(

I know one thing to update those apps.

Hope this help because I already done this ealier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[]Methods[]

1.) Open Appstore.

2.) Instead of going to "Update" section, go to "search" then type the app/game you need to update.

3.) For exam. Temple Run 2, once you see the app; go tap on it. Then you'll going to see "Update".

4.) Click "Update" then it will confirm you Appstore Account. Go type on it.

5.) Wait until the update is finish. Then close the Appstore from Multi Tasking. Open the app (Temple Run 2) NOTE: IT UPDATE SUCCESFULLY! Then check the Appstore logo. NOTE: SEE, THERE NO RED NUMBER TO UPDATE RIGHT?

6.) But Sadly, If you open again your Appstore and check back the "Update" section, you'll see that the app (ex. Temple Run 2) is NEEDED TO UPDATE. But don't worry maybe it's a BUG! And Apple must fix this ASAP!!!

[]Another Method[]

1.) Uninstall the App you need to update.

2.) Go search the App you uninstall.

3.) Re-install it again. NOTE: NO MORE "UPDATE" TEXT ON THE SELECTED APP YOU INSTALL ON YOUR "UPDATE" SECTION.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this help you out guys! And this need to be report ASAP! because it is a serious BUG!!!

P.S. I SUCCESSFULLY UPDATED MY APPS. EVERYTHING WORKS FINE BY USING THE METHODS. BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE APPS STILL SAYING THAT THEIR NEEDED TO BE UPDATE.

-C3FFF0E

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i tried deleting and then re-installing but it still says it wants to update

Well its not just me then, i'm sure Apple will sort it out soon as its a bit bizarre. Had a quick google and didnt see many chats about it though

4. C3FFF0E

Aug 3, 2014
    Philippines
    It works for me but I have a feeling that I'm not totally satisfied.

Me too I search about this problem, same as you. Not yet known.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Same here. I thought my Wifi has a hiccup again, but it didn't work in the office either.
    Ah well, Apple will sort it out sooner or later...

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Anyone still with this problem ?

Emailed apple 2 days ago but nothing. Posted in an apple forum but nothing

Just got an update for callys caves which does the same thing

Might have to format my phone. Just don't want ios8 on it though

7. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    It's a common issue since a couple of days and is also discussed at reddit. Seems like a problem on Apples side.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks for telling me. Was about to format my phone. I'll wait a bit

9. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Isn't there a way to format the phone without installing the update? I think there used to be - like pressing Alt while you plugged in the phone or something?

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well i must admit its a fair bit of hassle for me as i then have to jailbreak it, add all the apps etc.

I think i'll wait a while and try to prompt the Apple agent about my question (they said within 48 hours !)

11. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #11 Nekku, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Unfortunately, there isn't any way to restore your device to iOS 7.xx.xx due to Apple don't signing it anymore except it's an iPhone 4 or lower. If you don't want to lose your jailbreak, stay the hell away from doing anything in that direction. :D
    Also don't use the reset to factory settings option as it will lead into an bootloop.

I'm curious how they will react to your reported issue.
    Usually it's something like "dear customer. First, update your device to the latest ios version available and then, we're talking again." :D

Btw, I had it too. Updated some apps and 2 days later the same update which I'd already installed popped up again.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well it seems to have 'picked up steam' as i've seen numerous people saying theyre having the same issues. Seems to mostly be people on ios 7.1 or 7.04. I'm hoping theres no conspiracy theory about this due to jailbreaking etc.

I cant update 3 apps at all, just keeps opening them. Finding it quite frustrating and the lack of response from Apple (who normally always reply early or within the 24 hours they 'promise') a bit frustrating.

I went to reset my phone but in the end i cancelled it which i'm glad about. Having an iphone 4s means i dont want to update due to issues i've heard on the 4s and also issues with apps.

Just want Apple to sort this out !

13. C3FFF0E

Aug 3, 2014
    Philippines
    Yeah, don't ever... Ever... Reset factory if your iDevice is still in jailbreak, your iDevice will might be broken. Factoring reset with a computer is advice. Anyway, im still in this problem and still, dont know what to do.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well i had a reply from Apple email, surprise surprise 'have you tried updating to the latest ios ? heres how to...'

What a load or rubbish

Called them up instead. The guy i spoke to was kinda helpful. He said the update 'might' be for ios8 users only, so thats why when i press update it opens the app as the update isnt applicable for me.

However take Callys Caves I and Callys Caves II. Both said 'updated to ios8' , i press update for Callys Caves I and it updates, now says 'open' on the app store.

I do the same for Callys Caves II and it opens the app.

This is nothing against the dev, both are great games, just wanted to point out an issue where its the same dev.

I 'kinda' get Apples point if that is true but imagine someone with say 15 updates, you have to go through each one to see what ones a 'true' update and what ones an 'ios8 update' so it simply opens the game, what a pain.

I havent had any other updates yet for games for a few days which surprises me. When i get another one i'll be interested to know if i can update or not.

Previously on ios6 i never had this issue if games were updated to ios7, it simply updated the app and then that was that, said 'open' instead of 'update'. Pain !!

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Update !

More and more people are reporting this.

If you have an update and it opens the app instantly when you press 'update'

Try this method...

Press the apps name (not Update), then on the app name/description screen press Update there. It seems to update the app (gets rid of the red 1) so that works. It will still say 'update' on the app store but theres no red 1 and the apps updated

It worked for me just then with Kindle but other ones (Wayward Souls) it still opens the app whatever instead of updating.

Opened another case with Apple support as the last one seemed to be locked after the patronising 'please update to the latest ios'

16. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Thanks for sharing your progress here. I don't have any updates yet but if one comes around then be sure I'll try this method!

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well todays update !

Firstly using that process i described above you can update apps. So that proves these updates arent 'ios 8 only' as some advisors have said.

I thought once you opened a 'case' with Apple support you could keep replying to it, but after they're replied with basically 'update to ios8' you cant seem to reply ! Arrrgh

So i have to open yet another case.

Opened two so far, both answers have been 'update to ios8' despite telling them i dont want my phone to be slow (i've got an iphone 4s and ios8 runs badly on it) and i dont want to due to many of my 500+ apps on my phone not working on ios8.

I'll call them up again later today. Someone posted that the same issues happened when ios7 came out, there was a bug for ios6 people which was eventually fixed.

No way am i updating to ios8, even more so that Apple seemed to be trying to 'force' you to update by not admitting this bug. So frustrating

18. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Wow. Glad to know it's not just me. I've experienced this same thing and found the above work around is the best solution. I'm ios 7.0.6 I believe. Jailbroken. So, maybe we can find a common thread. Is it for sure only iOS 7 users?

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well on various apple discussion threads it seems to be ios7 only. One person mentioned ios8 but that surprised me.

Its just frustrating as anything. Apparently if you go to the app store then instead of updates press 'purchased' and select the item there it'll update it.

At least theres a workaround. Theres a new Pinball arcade table coming soon so i would have been annoyed if i couldnt update the app so i could then buy it !

I've got two devices, an ipad which isnt jailbroken and is on ios8 and a jailbroken iphone 4s running 7.06

The ipad updates any app instantly, the iphone has this issue ! But also non-jailbroken people have had the same problem on ios7*. Its an ios7 issue not jailbreaking

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Right final update ;)

I give up ! ;)

Had a 30 minute call with someone, to be fair she was good, didnt come out with the usual patronising 'update to ios8'. She understood why i didnt want to update. She had an ipod touch with her on ios7 and said the update all button wasnt greyed out, asked her to update one app and she said it was fine, asked for her password.

I've had a few more app updates (Audiobooks and Monument Valley), both open the app if i press update, if i press the app name then Update it 'updates' ! Just going to have to do that for now.

I'm stunned anyone from Apple are oblivious to it. Its not a jailbreak issue its just happened this week, like they've changed something on the app store. Bizarre.

Anyway give up for now, i'm sticking to ios7 and updating my apps a slightly slower way from now on. Arrgh ;)