Best feed reader for iPod/iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SkyMuffin, Nov 11, 2010.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #1 SkyMuffin, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
    I'm looking for recommendations for a feed reader-- preferably one which displays imaged consistently and has some zoom/save function. Any ideas?

edit: preferably one which doesn't have to use Google Reader.

2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
  3. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Ah, i'm sorry. One that doesn't need Google Reader. I hate Google Reader.

4. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    That's a shame because Reeder is probably the best in the App Store in terms of polish, ease-of-use, UI, speed... blows everything out of the water. Also has a killer services panel for sending/sharing with other apps/people.

I've heard from some people that Newsrack (i think?) is pretty solid but has a cheesy skeuomorphic design... Also have heard some praise for Byline.

I personally love Google Reader, have all my feeds at whatever computer/device I'm at... and Reeder's integration is perfect.

5. spyky

spyky Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    I have Reeder, and yes I do not like it due to it being google-reader-only..

I have though of purchasing pulse, but still on the fence.

6. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Pulse is pretty lame IMO. Not for RSS-aholics, that's for sure. Loading time is pretty painstaking.

Reeder also is nice as it has great settings for image caching depending on connection type, for example.

7. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I use Free RSS at the moment.
    I used to have the upgraded version of it, which allowed saving feeds, in-app browser, archiving, pictures, etc, but I found out they removed it from the app store when I tried to get it back after reformatting my laptop. Was a pity, I liked that app. :\

And I also dislike google reader.

8. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I looked at all of your suggestions, and none of them seem to have decent ratings (except for Pulse, but that looks like it only supports Google Reader). Any other suggestions?

9. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Well, Pulse is free at the moment, so it might be worth downloading just in case.

10. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    @SkyMuffin

IIRC Pulse doesn't REQUIRE Google Reader, but there's an option to pull in your GReader feeds if you have them and display them in pulse, because unless it's changed you can only load like 20 sources.

Very limiting for info-junkies.

According to the NYT article it will remain free due to 800k in VC money. Funny stuff.

11. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I just downloaded Pulse, and it's very nice. Only thing I dislike about it is that it updates feeds upon opening, since it can use a lot of data for 3G downloading the feeds.