Armor Alley for iPhone is in beta. Beta testers wanted.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ahbritto, Jul 7, 2009.

1. #1 ahbritto, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    Armor Alley for iPhone is in beta.

Armor Alley is a multiplayer, combination arcade and strategy game featuring head-to-head battles and helicopter combat.

Awarded: Best Strategy Game, MacWorld Game Hall of Fame 1991

Home page: http://armoralleyiphone.com

A blog entry on Armor Alley: http://www.rampantgames.com/blog/2006/03/back-o-rack-armor-alley.html

Screen shots:
    Title.png aa_logo.png aa_destroy.png

Video:

The graphics and Internet multiplayer are currently being worked on.

A few Touch Arcade members are now wanted to test and provide feedback on the single player play. When multiplayer is working, more beta-testers will be needed.

Edit:
    Thank you everyone. I have enough testers for now. It's really great to see so many responsive senior members of Touch Arcade. I really, really appreciate the help. :) Added title page screen shot. Added link to home page.

-Arthur

2. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    email sent and also can we have some kind of chat system where we can talk to each other and/or issue orders like player so and so drop units here or player so and so attack/defend here and this would give you more strategy and maybe a player can issue orders that the other players follow but he can't play in it because he's the general :p Also can we chose our air units and maybe we can play as ground units? Also can you upgrade the visuals to something like Chopper or so please because a lot of games at the App Store is bought by looks and good icon designs.

3. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I have sent you an email as well.

4. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
  5. randomdude

Mar 21, 2009
    Clymos you forgot about the new beta awaiting for you at the beta site for Ezone ;)

EDIT:Also are we suppose to send you our credentials? If yes look at my sig.

6. Chat: The plan is to have in game player to player voice chat.

Units: The player controls the helicopter and orders ground forces.

Visuals: The plan is to add colorful backgrounds. Depending upon when the game is released, the first version may or may not have updated sprites.

-Arthur

7. randomdude

Mar 21, 2009
    thank you for the answer and that was quick! :D Also how many players are allowed into one game? I would prefer it to be 2 to 2.

8. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I like this DS game that was somewhat a remake of a classic like Armor Alley. It is an under-rated DS game.

9. The game is for 1 to 4 players:
    1 person vs 1 computer
    1 person vs 1 person
    2 people vs 1 person and 1 computer
    2 people vs 2 people

Just a reminder, multiplayer isn't working yet.

-Arthur

10. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    So this is multiplayer online right? bluetooth, wifi, edge, 3g?

11. The plan is stand alone single player and online, Internet multiplayer:
    WiFi: Yes.
    Edge and 3G: Depends on performance and what Apple/AT&T will allow.
    Bluetooth: Unlikely.

-Arthur

12. randomdude

Mar 21, 2009
    Yay thank you for inviting me to the beta! Also can you tell who else is in the beta and if you haven't chosen him yet I nominate Clymos to be one of the testers. He gives very detailed advice and feedback trust me. ;)

13. Anyone is welcome to say, if they are testing. I accepted everyone who asked: all the senior members and one junior.

I wanted to leave the testing open longer, because I hate it when I miss out on something just because I don't check in often enough. But, I closed the testing because I was getting swamped with e-mails.

I'll probably open it up again in a few days. :)

-Arthur

14. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    This is awesome! I used to love playing this game on my Mac SE so many years ago... I even posted about this game a little while back asking about the name of it (I'd forgotten). I've seen so many Choplifter lookalikes, that I really wanted an Armor Alley lookalike, or even port, and now here it is!

Sent an email asking to be a beta tester, but if you've stopped taking more testers, no problem.

15. You're in! I sent you instructions. Let me know, if I need to send them again.

BTW, I hang out a lot in #iphonedev on freenode.net IRC.

-Arthur

16. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Awesome! I don't know how I missed this game back in the day but it looks fast and fun. Can't wait for this to come out. Best of luck and I'll be keeping an eye out for the release.

Oh and let know if you another person to break.. Uhm, test the beta :)

17. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Great! I haven't received any messages though, either through toucharcade or my email address.

18. chrisdrackett

chrisdrackett New Member

Jan 8, 2011
    I've been looking for a version of this game that runs on "modern" systems forever! My brother and I used to play this for hours on end way back in the day. Best 2D helicopter game ever made by far! :D I'd love to help out with the beta!

19. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    I was meaning to post here about the game. I was a beta tester for the game last year, but unfortunately, the developer gave up. I was hoping to garner some community support to try to convince him to start up again. The game is pretty much in a releaseable state - it's missing multiplayer, but it's fully playable as is (other than possibly a few minor bugs). He just didn't want to release it because he 1) was concerned it wouldn't sell w/o multiplayer, 2) couldn't find a publisher he liked, and 3) said he had a work project he had to focus on. Personally, I think he could have sold the game on his own just using viral marketing. The game was awesome - just like the original from the 80s, but with improved graphics!

Maybe if enough people post here asking for the game, he'll get back on the horse. Come'on guys! Show your support!