★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
06-24-2016, 06:34 PM
I wonder if Twilight Struggle will appeal to mobile gamers who tend to be more casual. This is a very complicated game which takes a lot of time and reading to learn. It is not something you play at the bus stop. I had it on Steam but got a refund because I could not get my head around all the rules, and exceptions to the many rules. Anyway it is dollar cheaper on Steam right now because of the Summer Sale.
06-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS77 View Post
Sir, you are too kind......and by far a better 'Googler' than I! Thanks again, that's really helpful. 😀
You're welcome! Found not on Google but on BGG to which I linked earlier. THE resource for all board games, and certainly for Twilight Struggle.

06-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
I wonder if Twilight Struggle will appeal to mobile gamers who tend to be more casual. This is a very complicated game which takes a lot of time and reading to learn. It is not something you play at the bus stop. I had it on Steam but got a refund because I could not get my head around all the rules, and exceptions to the many rules. Anyway it is dollar cheaper on Steam right now because of the Summer Sale.
As much as I'd like to see the game succeed, it is definitely not for the casual gamer. I'm a cardboard player of TS, and it was work to "get it." I couldn't say how getable it is digitally if you've never played it in real life. I suspect it would be a real chore.

It is, however, an outstanding game, one of my top favorite games of all time. Then, of course, I am a child of the Cold War, War Games, and The Hunt for Red October. So, TS was right up my alley.

Don't know how meaningful the subject is for those under 30 for which 911 is a vague, faded memory, and to whom history and geopolitics was never substantively taught.

Last edited by Peripatetic; 06-24-2016 at 07:44 PM.
06-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Another voice to confirm that yes, iPhone is in the cards, mentioned during the Kickstarter campaign and post-updates, and confirmed in yet another backer update a few hours ago.

Quote:
I wonder if Twilight Struggle will appeal to mobile gamers who tend to be more casual.
I doubt TS will appeal to most casual gamers, regardless of platform. But I also think it will appeal to many hardcore gamers, regardless of platform.

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
06-24-2016, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
I doubt TS will appeal to most casual gamers, regardless of platform. But I also think it will appeal to many hardcore gamers, regardless of platform.
I wanted to say something similar. Well said.
06-25-2016, 12:00 AM
From what I recall after my brief time with the Steam version some time ago, getting the basics on the game's 4 types of actions or so wasn't too tough but the having any clue how all of the game's many events interact or knowing when they might appear is a whole other level I hadn't achieved yet.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
06-25-2016, 03:40 AM
So I TOFTT'd and bought this to then force install on my jb iPhone 6+, and guess what.....

It works!

Has black bars on the side but then using forcegoodfit tweak makes it fit perfect. I Scratched some of the tutorial just to see card text size, and you know what, it's actually reasonable as is. Can just add the stock iPhone zoom function at the ready for anything too small, but it actually does read reasonable.
I was initially worried about the countries in the background (I don't know this game so don't know what else to expect), but it turns out you can zoom in on them within the app at any time, as if that's how it was intended anyway on the iPad.

So, so far on a 6+ it seems reasonable.

Now I'll just keep this on my device along with all the others and pretend I'll have time some day to dive head on into it.
06-25-2016, 05:32 AM
For iPhone support, the latest letter from GMT to Kickstarter backers confirm that "the final form will be universal". No ETA yet. I am still waiting for my redemption code.

The game is not hard to pick up. But it is very hard to play well given the number of strategies and the complex intervention between events and cards. But once you grab hold of it, it is addictive!

Some over BGG complain about not able to go through the tutorial, but I have gone through it without any issue

And there is a bug that in Round 1, the (Soviet) AI holds the Score Card leading to immediate lose is noted and fix has been submitted.

My Playdek ID is "currymutton", see ya all online.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
06-25-2016, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Just learning the rules and I am not finding them complicated. But I think playing and winning the game will be hard and complicated. I have already bought 'Eclipse, New dawn' and 'Brass'. Those rules are much more complicated imo. 'Ghost Stories' and 'Neuroshima Hex' have simple rules but are very hard to win.

I have just began with TS, will give it a score in a few weeks.
TS is imo more appealing than a game like 'Carrier Battles' wich is even too complicated for my taste.

Last edited by D1vi8; 06-25-2016 at 08:05 AM.
06-25-2016, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS77 View Post
Really want to see a video of the online gameplay with narration explaining what's happening and why they're playing the cards they are etc. - the game and premise intrigues me but I like my board games to be fast, interactive and I prefer a more fantastical theme if I'm honest. Just want to get a better idea of how it plays before taking the dive. Can anyone recommend a decent YouTube vid or similar to watch?
http://thepenskyfile.com/the-twilight-struggle-beta-a-i/
He has 5 videos against the AI and about 25 against online opponents worth a watch for how to play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCTEVYFuyI

Last edited by zerothehero; 06-25-2016 at 12:03 PM.