★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
06-18-2017, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
Reading slitherines responses I agree with them. Apple is causing the issue at hand. As slitherine said, there is nothing to prevent a 32 bit app to run on a 64 bit device. The only thing preventing it would be Apple's OS. To expect developers to completely rebuild an old game every time Apple decides to change the rules is not realistic.
Im not sure I can agree with this. They updated the engine for the Shenandoah titles, two of them anyway. In my case, I have an older iPad as well as the 9.7 pro, so I will still have access to them.

Hopefully, some genius will come up with a 32bit emulator, I would install that even if it meant having to jailbreak my Pro.
06-19-2017, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
Reading slitherines responses I agree with them. Apple is causing the issue at hand. As slitherine said, there is nothing to prevent a 32 bit app to run on a 64 bit device. The only thing preventing it would be Apple's OS. To expect developers to completely rebuild an old game every time Apple decides to change the rules is not realistic.
A lot of other devs didn't had a problem with upgrading their products to 64 bit, so why would this argument be valid?

06-19-2017, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
They've explained that it's the game engine that's tied their hands in previous games. That can't be said as their fault for not predicting apples future decision.

But, before we go any further, has anyone even confirmed if this is or is not 64 bit? Someone above mentioned Apple does not approve these days unless it is 64 bit.
If it is 64 bit, that would imply that Slitherine have changed their game engine just for this game. Obviously, or they'd be out of business with respect to iOS publishing.
Slitherine are a developer and publisher, they have lots of titles on iOS that still work that do not use the engine which is not being updated. Also they publish for other devs who use their own engines.

This title is definitely 64 bit, as is PanzerCorps, BASPM, Vietnam 65, Heroes of Normandy. They have also updated some Shenandoah title(s). The engine being discussed affects a number of titles and won't be upgraded to 64 bit, but has no impact on this title (which they do not develop, I believe, only publish). Hope that helps explain!
06-19-2017, 01:39 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoptic View Post
They have also updated some Shenandoah title(s).
Yep, a cool kind of update: Changed the name from "Drive on Moscow" to "Drive on Moscow Vol 2" (same game) and everybody had to pay 9,99 € again ...

By the way: As Battle Academy 2 was new, they wrote on their page about "the new game Engine" which will be a huge step for future gaming ...

This "future" was not very long ... an only for "BA 2" and "Pike & Shot" (made with "the Engine of the future") I paid around 60,- Euro ...

And he, Qvadriga is made with "Unity" ... that game should be easy converted to 64 Bit ... but also here nothing but silence, even on e-Mail in which I offered help.

And the best of all: You can still spend much money on all those titles and Slitherine does even not warn on the iTunes Page that the purchase will be obsolet with iOS 11 ... shame on that!

Edit: There are many good premium titels, like Carcassonne, Catan, an many more games ... but I have to say: If a company shows this kind of "customer care" I will learn ... by the way, the same with "Take 2" (Civ Revolution 2, Starship, XCOM etc.) ... I will never buy again an iOS title from that company, too ...

And the only way that they react is, that the customer shows a reaction which will hurt them ... and the only way is not to give them any money ...

iPad Pro 2 | iPad Pro 10,5 | iPhone X

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Last edited by Mythbuster; 06-19-2017 at 01:43 AM.
06-19-2017, 02:37 AM
folks i think you all going off track all i see is moans about slitherine actions not what this new game is like which this thread is suppose to be about. So lets get back on track with that.

EA mobile Game Changer member + Streamer on touchgameplay
06-19-2017, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscaretaker View Post
folks i think you all going off track all i see is moans about slitherine actions not what this new game is like which this thread is suppose to be about. So lets get back on track with that.
You took my line!

Anyway, given that RPS does a fair review, even though "sinking other people's ships is my favorite past-time", I would hold up with this one.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
06-19-2017, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscaretaker View Post
Threads are not supposed to be what you want them to be but about everything anybody wants them to be
06-19-2017, 04:47 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
Threads are not supposed to be what you want them to be but about everything anybody wants them to be
OK, in a normal way it should stay onTopic ... and here we are in a kind offTopic ... but ... for me it is important to know any aspect of a game ... and if somebody want 10,99 for it, I want to know, how good or bad is the support from the seller ... so I posted my opinion about that so that anybody can decide if he want to buy it anyway or not!

iPad Pro 2 | iPad Pro 10,5 | iPhone X

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
06-19-2017, 05:27 AM
Having read the RPS review I'm disappointed this doesn't have more depth.

Looks like Slitherine have dropped their standards (and customer service re: 64bit support) considerably.

Oh well, more $ to support the quality developers.
06-19-2017, 09:32 AM
So this does suck but its not as easy as some think and just flip the Xcode switch to 64-bit. Some apps will never be updated because of engines or 3rd party tools they use are not updated. Bottom line I blame Apple for all of this BS. They are doing it on purpose and don't care. Their message about 32bit slowing down a 64-bit OS is total nonsense and not technically correct. They can let 32bit apps runs no issues they are just ignorant and forcing their views on users like everything they do with IOS. I been an Apple fan for long time but their recent actions is having me waiver that loyalty more and more.

Windows 10 for example still allows 16-bit apps to run if you want them too. So I can run 16,32 and 64-bit and Microsoft lets me decide as the user what I want to do with my own system. They should have a settings that you can toggle on/off for 32-bit support in IOS. By Default leave if 32-bit support off and your normal users will never change it but for gamers and power users they can set it to on to let their 32-bit apps run. This is what I would have done if I was doing it.

Last edited by sabre31; 06-19-2017 at 09:45 AM.