Wake the Dreamer Hits Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WaketheDreamer, Jul 24, 2014.

1. WaketheDreamer

WaketheDreamer Active Member

Feb 20, 2014
  2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    you should post your development history as it will help give you credibility.

The intro video really needs gameplay footage, i almost gave up but the few snippets of game footage the art style worked well. The game footage however doesn't match up well with your game description and it hard to figure exactly how the game will work.

Sadly your rewards are a mess because of the iOS thing (you should of created seperate awards for iOS). This is why mobile games struggle so much on kickstarter because there is no real way to distribute iOS rewards in a meaningful way.

I hope you continue after the kickstarter ends since it has some potential.

3. neilw711

neilw711 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    App Developer
    Virginia, USA
    The pitch video does show alot of gameplay. I've seen some kickstarter games get over 100% of their funding goal that barely shows any gameplay footage but a neat pitch video. I thought this one was great overall.

iOS games hardly ever make it to their funding goal unless you plan on releasing this game for steam or PC. I hope you guys make it though! Looks great!

4. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    Thanks Neil! We may consider porting it over to PC as well, if we get funded. Also depends on how badly the community wants it on PC.

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    This is partly cause of the apple rewards being too hard and partly because mobile apps are so cheap you don't feel like you are getting the preorder/beta entry.

6. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I agree with a lot of what you said, the layout is funky and the whole thing is wordy but I wanted to address this.

Since they are targeting mobile, they only have 100 promocodes (iOS, + whatever Android allots.) that they can use to give out free products. This is one of the reason mobile KS projects are so rare. The dev is doing what they can, namely:
    That paragraph is buried deep in the risks and challenges section.

7. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    DennisJensen, I agree with a lot of what you've said. Originally we did have a video which showed an introduction of the entire team along with a short skit to go along the theme of the game. People were complaining that they JUST wanted the gameplay footage and that we should take that out. So we did. We do need to edit the layout of the page a bit so that it's not so wordy. I'll start working on that ASAP. And as blackhorn pointed out, it's very difficult to hand out promo codes. But backers will be getting into the beta as we get closer to release. I will make it more obvious though, as Blackhorn pointed out it's buried deep in the text. Thanks for all of the feedback guys, we really appreciate it!