iPhone Legend of Grimrock (Dungeon Master-inspired)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Jensen, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I would request a closure of the Thread till the Developer will finally announce some real Facts for the iOS/Mac Version or sent out a Preview Build of the Game for the iOS Build.

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

You forget the Fact that you don`t have to render a hole World, only just a few Rooms always ahead of you.

So yes it can be done on the newer iDevices (iPhone 4S/iPad 2/iPad 3).

3. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    #123 the9quad, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    I was under the impression most modern engines only render what you see, not what you are going to see (eg. ocllusion culling, zbuffer etc..).
    The real problem to my eyes is if it is going to support retina on the ipad3 that means it is 2048x1536 (higher than 1080P) and it's rocking some pretty sweet visuals (not crysis by any means, but still nice).

I am thinking that's alot for a console let alone a pad (hell half the xbox 360 games are barely 720P and then run at sub 30 fps), my guess is the ipad 3 just doesn't have the oomph to push these visuals at retina resolution without making some serious cuts to effects, character polys, texture size etc.. Throw in the limited ram and it is going to be even harder. I know apple has some good marketing and they got everyone thinking this thing farts roses, but that resolution is rough on hardware in some mid range pc's. I think visuals like these would be possible for a proven engine and a large dev team, but will prove pretty difficult for a custom engine by a small team.

I would bet they were caught off guard by the new ipad, and now are in a spot of deciding the necessary re-work of artwork, engine modifications etc.. is worth it. I have a hunch taking out ios support came about the same time as that ipad announcement. So they are probably in a wait and see mode, if the PC version kicks some butt sales wise they will probably go ahead with ios and mac, if not they probably won't, and I wouldn't blame them.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Check out the Forgotten Memories thread to see what's actually possible on A5 & A5X devices. Keep in mind, too, that LoG runs on a proprietary engine.

5. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Forgotten Memories is very nice, but neither the environments not the characters push the polygons Grimrock does nor are the textures even close.

6. Multiboy2k

Multiboy2k Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Watcher
    Could change at a moment's notice
    ^^^Again, THIS exactly. ^^^

It's not fair to the iOS developers who post here.
    And, to stop bumping this thread.
    As for now, this is a PC game. Period.

7. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I'm Sanitymops and I support this message.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Polygons? Textures? I though we were talking about occlusion and dynamic lighting. And frankly, I don't find the textures in LoG to be particularly involved, and the view distance is tiny.

In any event, the real question is whether an iOS version could capture the atmosphere of the PC version, not whether it will match the graphics 1:1.

I do agree that the devs are likely evaluating the reaction to the PC version before scheduling Mac and iOS version. Doesn't mean that that those two have not already been in the works.

9. oldvictor

oldvictor Active Member

Feb 23, 2012
    +1

There is no IOS version that even exists and it's clear that the publisher has used this as a bandwagon to get people onboard for the PC version.

I would agree - this thread is not relevant, why don't I post "Dungeon Master IOS" and then link pictures to a PC version.

Not good, thread should be closed and reopened when this is not vapourware anymore.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Because Dungeon Master for iOS has never been announced.

Folks, it's simple: until the developer announces that they have cancelled the iOS version of Legend of Grimrock, this thread will remain open.

Keep in mind that the game was announced last August and that the developer has always stated that the iPad version would follow the PC version. We currently have threads open for games that have been in development for far longer (Ravensword 2 and Forgotten Memories among them).

Unless I'm overruled by the rest of the moderators or by the admins, this thread is staying open.

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I'm astounded this needed to be clarified. Common sense really is not so common.

12. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    +1 to that! :)

13. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Of course the thread should stay open, the more demand the higher the chances of iOS version.

14. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    #134 kukulcan, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    I am sure a non 1:1 port that looks very good is possible. But it would probably be quite some work to adjust the assets, so it might take longer.

All I say is they just did the best they could to make it look perfect on PC at Full HD and stopped thinking about iOS at some point which now makes a port much more work.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I will not try to minimize the effort to convert the game from the PC to the iPad. But my point is that it's likely some of that effort is built in to their proprietary engine. Most PC games incorporate graphical setting options, and I would be very surprised if LoG doesn't do this already. Most likely the biggest task is developing an elegant interface far a touchscreen device.

Hopefully we will hear word from the dev about their plans soon.

16. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #136 cplr, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    My opinion: why should any of us listen to someone who doesn't even know how to spell iPad? :confused:

I want to know why some of you are acting like the developer has insulted your mother? It may or may not come to iOS. Dev has not officially cancelled the iPad version, so let him do what he wants. He owes us nothing, nor do we owe him anything either (i.e. attention or our money). None of his actions as a developer are even remotely "offensive" - it's not like he took money from you, promising an iOS port, and then cancelled it, taking your money and forcing you to play the PC version. You have no reason to complain unless you have put up any money of your own.

17. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    ipad IPAD Ipad IPad IpaD Does it matter??
    Go trolling elsewhere.

18. Luthur1964

Luthur1964 New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Support this Indie dev team!

There are probably many who, like me, would not have heard of this game had it not been for touch arcade. I am very grateful to have read the initial article about Legend of Grimrock. Having followed the developer's blog since then, I have been extremely impressed with their responsiveness and dedication to their fans and prospective customers. To imply that this team has subversively announced intentions to develop an iOS and not follow through in order to market a PC only product to a captive iOS market base is ludicrous. In fact, I would be suspicious of such critics, as perhaps being involved in their own personal development of competing product. If so, there is reason to lash out --perhaps out of the fear of going unnoticed next to this quality product. Otherwise, just live and let live.
    If quality video games are your hobby, then support this small indie dev team "Almost Human" and purchase this game -- I suspect you won't be sorry. I have already per-ordered my PC and I plan to buy the iOS version WHEN it comes out.

19. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #139 cplr, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    this discussion is pointless. if you want the game on iPad - support the developer and buy the PC version. that way you can play it early and help him with development. you should also buy dungeons of dredmor and cardinal quest for these same reasons...

20. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    +1. Definitely a must have on PC and definitely a re-buy when it hits iOS