AppStore ranking thoughts

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Scraff, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Scraff

Scraff Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Hi everyone,

Ive been doing a bit of promotion for my free version of Save the Monster. Ive noticed ive broken in (and out and in and out) of the charts of certain countries. Im signed up to AppFigures.com which shows the graphs of your ranking in selected countries, and is updated hourly.

Before I started using this, I was under the impression that the rank for any one appstore was based on Yesterdays Sales (x8) + 2 days ago sales (x5) + 3 days ago (x5) + 4 days ago (x2) etc.

But on one appstore, Save the Monster Lite has got to the top 60 of its category, And it doesnt even have anysale yesterday (a few days before it does tho). So this is either because the appstore is updating in realtime, ie todays sales, which I cant see yet has made it suddenly apprear up there, or it is very delayed, and sales from a few days ago have changed its ranking?

Any thought from your own experiences?

Also, as it seems to go up and down every hour, this would suggest the app ranking is updated in real time, not daily?

2. Sever77

Sever77 Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I woud like to know some 'live' preview services too.
    I'm using appannie and monitor.distimo and it's a daily update.

3. sh13ld

sh13ld Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Co-founder & CEO
    Finland
    Interesting question. We are also using AppFigures and the Ranks page is really updated every hour. How that rank is calculated is anyone's guess.