Universal Dungeon Survival (by Frozenfrog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Avaniar, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    #1 Avaniar, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017

Dungeon Survival

Frozenfrog
    [*] Game Features - Cave levels are randomly generated, providing a new experience each time you play! - Hundreds of mo…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    [*] Game Features - Cave levels are randomly generated, providing a new experience each time you play! - Hundreds of monsters to defeat! - Hundreds of equipment to collect! - Hundreds of quests and achievements to conquer! - Enchant, Reform, Level up, and collect Gold! An abundant new world to explore! [*] Back Story Black Haze is a border town renown for its rich mineral deposits, which has fallen on hard times of late. In this city, it is difficult to tell the difference between good and evil. Following the mysterious disappearance of the former lord, the fragile balance of the city is disrupted. You are Royde, and you have been chosen by the king to bring balance back to Black Haze and investigate the strange reports that have come from the city. [*] Battle & Classes - 9 classes, each with unique skills. Build your party however you choose. - Intricate turn-based combat lets you become the master of the battlefield - Characters develop traits that can help or hinder. You must decide how to use them. [*] Maps & Monsters - Follow the story or venture off on your own to bring your enemies to justice. - Challenging enemies will keep you on your toes. Do not underestimate them or it will mean your destruction. - Rare and powerful enemies will challenge you. Defeat them to collect precious loot and prove your valor. [*] Contact Us Please contact us with any question, suggestions, concern, or advice! Support Email: [email protected] FACEBOOK: https://goo.gl/zPtps1
    Information
    Seller:Frozenfrog
    Genre:Adventure, Role Playing
    Release:Jun 06, 2017
    Updated:Dec 27, 2023
    Version:1.87
    Size:83.0 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

So errr aparently there is a Darkest Dungeon asian "spin-off" called Dungeon Survival.
    I just caught wind of it because it went from 1$ to free, so i decided to try it.
    I think it has some "gatcha", but from the first 5 mins it is very similar...
    Anyone know what its story is?

Dungeon Survival

Frozenfrog
    [*] Game Features - Cave levels are randomly generated, providing a new experience each time you play! - Hundreds of mo…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    [*] Game Features - Cave levels are randomly generated, providing a new experience each time you play! - Hundreds of monsters to defeat! - Hundreds of equipment to collect! - Hundreds of quests and achievements to conquer! - Enchant, Reform, Level up, and collect Gold! An abundant new world to explore! [*] Back Story Black Haze is a border town renown for its rich mineral deposits, which has fallen on hard times of late. In this city, it is difficult to tell the difference between good and evil. Following the mysterious disappearance of the former lord, the fragile balance of the city is disrupted. You are Royde, and you have been chosen by the king to bring balance back to Black Haze and investigate the strange reports that have come from the city. [*] Battle & Classes - 9 classes, each with unique skills. Build your party however you choose. - Intricate turn-based combat lets you become the master of the battlefield - Characters develop traits that can help or hinder. You must decide how to use them. [*] Maps & Monsters - Follow the story or venture off on your own to bring your enemies to justice. - Challenging enemies will keep you on your toes. Do not underestimate them or it will mean your destruction. - Rare and powerful enemies will challenge you. Defeat them to collect precious loot and prove your valor. [*] Contact Us Please contact us with any question, suggestions, concern, or advice! Support Email: [email protected] FACEBOOK: https://goo.gl/zPtps1
    Information
    Seller:Frozenfrog
    Genre:Adventure, Role Playing
    Release:Jun 06, 2017
    Updated:Dec 27, 2023
    Version:1.87
    Size:83.0 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    From

Frozenfrog, and came out june 7 2017

3. Robulous

Robulous Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I’m in...

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    DL'd and will try later when I have time. Really wish they'd bring darkest dungeon to mobile....as in the real mobile being phone. I definitely think with screen/UI optimisation it would work a treat. I already play it on my 6+ using my jailbreak and it's almost alright. Playable, but finicky due to the UI size.

This game doesn't read to be as deep by the app description. Reads "9 classes with 4 unique skills". That no where near DD deep was but I'll see later when I have time.

Btw right next to it in the store I found "dungeon survival - offline strategy RPG games". Since I'm a sucker for roguelikes I DL'd that right away too. Will try later.

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #5 Talbs, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    More reading
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/7cqfsc/a_darkest_dungeon_bootleg_app_exists_and_its_kind/

But about buying crystals to restore stress sounds terrible.

I'll actually try soon.

Edit:
    Ok so I've given it a go. Got through the tutorial and then played through one dungeon (very short). It's a Darkest Dungeon (very) light. For instance there's no light/torch mechanic, and the Heroes really do only have 4 skills each so you can't select between their most suitable like you can in real DD. You also don't select you item load out before embarking like how you select how much food rations and torches to take in. There's none of that. You do get to select which party members but that process missed a massive creature comfort which was being able to actually view your teams character profile page/skill page right from the team selection screen. Rather, you have to exit out and go some place else to see your teams individual character skills and formation position (which is critical to team selection. You then have to come back in and try to remember who you wanted to put where. Real creature comfort missing right there.

Also, so far it seems like all hits hit. I haven't seen a single miss or resist yet.

Seems like a very light version. Oh, and there's in app purchases, which actually don't seem to be working at the moment.

Sigh, this could actually almost be good if it wasn't such a trimmed down knock off. I'm going to keep playing to see how far I can get. It's like 55% of darkest dungeon. It's just the intricate mechanics are missing.

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah I know, I know. Darkest Dungeon rip off! However for those that can't get it on iPhone, Dungeon Survival has got that covered.

I'll be fair and say I've never played DD. I was excited to buy it and then when I heard iPad only I was disappointed. Now to THIS game. I absolutely love it. Again I've never played DD which it is based off of but this game has so much to offer and is very satisfying to play. It does have an annoying bug that removes the sound if you leave the app and come back but the game itself is very good. I've already sunk 6+ hours in it and am still enjoying it. Lots of loot, challenging but rewarding gameplay, and a pretty big world to go through. I'm still not sure what some items do like holy water (I think some of it is used for offerings to statues?), but you can generally figure out everything as a newbie through trial and error.

I checked app store and online reviews and most people really love it. There's plenty of hate comments of course but they consist of complaints about copying the design, ugly artwork compared to DD and that's about it. For people that can't play DD, I'm sure they'll find an amazing game here. Some people even praised this as an amazing iOS DD that does the interface better than DD mobile which to them seemed like port not optimized for mobile (can't confirm any of these claims since I don't have an iPad).

Also the price went from $1 to free and so far from my game time it's extremely generous. Actually feels like the game is just free... no ads except for an ad you can watch at the end of every run for a gem.

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I've been giving this one a go. (See my comments in the general discussion forum section).

Broadly speaking while it's uber great to have a darkest dungeon type game on iPhone, this really is about, I'd say 50% at best of what darkest dungeon is. For instance you don't select rations when embarking, there appears to be no stress, the abilities of the adventurers can't target specific enemies (it's really weird like that, and you've got to try it to understand). There's also a really annoying UI implementation where you can't view your adventurers stats while in the embankment team selection screen. You have to exit right out and then memorise and then come back in.

Anyway, this is a darkest dungeon lite, lite, lite freemium.

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #8 L.Lawliet, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    In my opinion I would not even call it freemium. Seems the entire game is free. You can watch ads optionally for gems to revive characters but that's "cheating". So there's no real need to pay for anything. Ever since they made it free it definitely seems literally for free.

I think if you go in without expectations of it being an exact clone it's a really good game by itself. I think the problem is that people are expecting it to have all of the elements DD has. And I guess taking out some of those has made the game easier which some people may enjoy.

Yeah it's annoying to not see stats before leaving but you can email the dev and they might add that. They responded to my bug issue on itunes. And in any case it doesn't bother me too much because I'm leveling up one team and have that one saved so I usually just use it over and over except when someone is badly injured. I also agree targeting is weird but I've gotten used to it and it makes the game flow really well that I think I enjoy this mechanic? Just focus on battle commands. They seem to auto target generally whoever needs it most for healing (lowest HP, status affliction). It's generally 90% of the time correct in who I would choose to use them on. For attacks, it on top of the skills which enemies they attack. Some say weakest enemy while some only attack front line enemies. So as that's a mechanic I don't have any issue with that.

Pagan Fox likes this.
  9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    No problem. To each their own. I definitely don't mind having this on my phone at all. One of the biggest iPad envies I have is over darkest dungeon, so having this instead this is quite something.

Btw, something I learnt from darkest dungeon is to rename your characters to a name that denotes how you want to use them. For example I name them according to the position I can use them in, and what their abilities do: "1 2 damage bleed". Helps in darkest dungeon and particularly helps here because you can't view their skill sets before embarking.

10. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    :O thank you all for posting here, i somehow missed it, giving it a try right now based on your comments.
    I have DD for PS4/vita, and bought it before vacation for the ipad.
    Since they aren't bringing it to iphones as far as i know, i will try this one.

11. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Talbs, when you embark, you can press the hero icon (helmet at the bottom right) to take a quick look at the hero skills.

Played the first two dungeons, and i like it. They autotarget but if in battle you hald down on the skill, it will show you which enemy/ally it will target :)

more people should know about this game. if i knew it, i would have spent my 5 on this instead of ipad only DD

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    @ramzarules; I know. But in doing that you lose your place in the embark screen and have to do it all over again. Exactly the problem, despite there being a quick link to the skill page.
    Forget which position your adventurer should be placed in? Well back you go again. Can't believe that was overlooked. Although yeh this game is free so grateful to have it and all, but that just seems like the first UI improvement of all.

Regarding buying this over iPad DD. Ok, if you absolutely don't want to be restricted to the iPad. But other than that, this is like 50% the depth and atmosphere of DD, if that. Please don't shoot me for reiterating that because I agree it's so good to haveon iPhone and can't believe it's even free. At half the depth of DD, then that makes it worth $5 doesn't it? ...and we get it free!?

13. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    played some more, reached the first boss at level 3 and had a total party kill. The three survived with injuries and the 4th died instantly It looks like when the hospital opens, you can put the defeated heroes there for curing. As it was now with closed hospital i had to sell them for some money and train another team.

Very good so far, and the lack of hunger, light and stress is totally fine by me as i found them annoying at DD and nothing more (more supplies space and forcing jester on every run).
    If it had better art i for atmosphere i dare say it i would like it even more than its inspiration :)
    It’s DD light but not in the difficulty of enemies or strategy, only on the annoying (imo) mechanics. Thanks once more for helping me discover this!

Edit: why isnt this on the games forum? more people need to get it :)

14. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    Well if the moderators could perchance come here and move it to the game forums, there would be much rejoicing, especially because I don't know how to put it up there lol

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I ended up writing the dev an email with my suggestion for the heroes skill Page to be accessible from the embark screen. They replied straight away saying it'll go on their list. Quite responsive. will see if they action it. I'll be impressed.

16. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    Wow

Wow, that's nice to know. Wasn't expecting an answer, much less a quick one. Let us see.

17. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    left them a 5review saying that as long as there is no iphone DD, these guys win - but if it comes, they should push their talent and go ahead to make their own variation of it.
    Also, L., since you haven't played DD, you don't know how much the narrator is missing. Seriously, for me he is 50% of the DD experience

18. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    Very true, I think I only play a handful of games with sound, this being one. The narrator herand in Guild of Dungeoneering are the best :)

19. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    It looks like this game dropped 7 months ago
    It’s def a clone of darkest dungeon having read the reviews but those reviews are def mostly positive things since I have no iPad I may drop a buck to see if it’s a good clone or not

20. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I got it I will post some thoughts after I’ve had some time on it