Save Games & Progress

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by littlezoe, Oct 13, 2011.

1. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    #1 littlezoe, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    So i made this thread just for general tips about how to preserve your progress and saves in games..

I decided to ask for some help, after realizing that i lost all my progress in Cut the Rope... I deleted it from my device some time ago, thinking that i will put it back when and update lands... The thing is that i thought that gamecenter stores saved data... but it seems like a no... :(

Some other games that i deleted and planned on putting them back later probably lost their progress as well... For example Where's My Water?, Cut the Rope Experiments...

Openfeint stores you game data, why can't gamecenter do the same?
    Should i just keep these games on my phone forever to keep their data...? :/

Edit: Well i was wrong... Openfeint only stores items like earned gold, coins, ect... meh..

2. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    I think Game Center only backs up game save data for certain games. One example in which this is true is The Smurfs' Village game where booting up the game while online (3G/Wi-Fi) backs up your last play session. I surmise it's only for certain games due to you stating that when you deleted Cut the Rope from your device, you basically had to start all over again.

I do wish there was a way to back up your game saves; with iCloud here, that should be apparent. I do believe there is a game (and a high profile one at that) that currently allows for cloud saving. While my iPod touch is heavily outpacing my traditional handheld devices these days, Game Center still has a little ways to go like the game saves and why do we still not have text chat available in GC?!?! Text chat would be great.

3. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #3 GoofyJmaster., Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    With iCloud any game that uses Game center can be saved in the cloud. It's up to the developer to implement the the cloud saving feature into their game.

I have both Starbase Orion and Please Stay Calm and I have deleted both of those games. When I re-downloaded them, I got all of my progress back. :D

As far as Game Center issues BloodFidelity started a thread on it. Link below

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=110451

4. littlezoe

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    That would be really good if that could be used for any game...

I found a method though, but it requires jailbreaking. You can find the Apps' files somewhere in the root folders and if you back up a specific App's folder, then your saves can be kept that way... Later on you can just overwrite the new files with the backed up ones... I'll do this method until there is something better...

5. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I think Devs will add it in upcoming games, so it won't be too big of a problem. It'll probably just be the older games that get left behind.

For me personally, I don't need to jailbreak as most of the games I'm playing use iCloud, but the thanks for the heads up.

6. littlezoe

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    I didn't mean to try to make you jailbreak your device, i just stated a way to keep the saves... and like i wouldn't use my iPhone without jailbreak at all, it's not a big trouble for me to use this method. :)

I'll look forward to this iCloud saving thing though as it seems much better and easier, but i don't use iOS 5 yet.

7. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #7 GoofyJmaster., Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    Whenever you get to a computer you should update. It's much better than iOS 4 in my opinion. The only thing is Game Center might run slow afterwards. Also you might start getting a ton of random friend requests. In the last couple days I've received about 20 or more requests. I can't even keep up any more. And I know they're not all from TA members.

I just add you on GC but I forgot to put from TA in request