Your thoughts on universal apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TexRob, May 18, 2010.

1. TexRob

TexRob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I am hoping we see more, and the reason they are few and far between are because the iPad has not been out long. What do you all think, are companies going to embrace universal apps, or do they see it as a chance for more revenue? I'd like to see peoples thoughts, because frankly I think the devs are probably torn on it.

I can tell you for me, honestly, two apps makes me think twice about buying it if I am faced with a universal app. I have never bought an app for iphone and ipad, and don't plan on it. If an iphone game was 2.99 and the ipad version was 2.99, I'd gladly pay 3.99 for a universal. I think people see it as a chance for double the money, but unless you guys just waste money a lot more than I do, then I think it's not happening. It's a selling point to be universal, so I think a company would make more even if the universal app was the same price as the two individual versions. Someone with an iPhone and iPad is much more likely to spend the money on a game they are not sure about, if they get that added value.

What do you all think? Sword of Fargoal is what made me think about this. I think it'd be fun on the iPhone, but I don't want to sit and play games on my iPhone when I am at home, so I am torn which to buy. Would also be cool to see Apple implement a way for people with previously developed games to sell the iPad version as an item that unlocks the iphone version as a free download. Can't do it as a promo code, or people would sell them.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'm always happy to see an app be (or become) universal.

The issue of app size doesn't bother me too much, I usually run into too many apps as opposed to space, but I know a few people that don't have much space on their (8gb) iPhones and have to be really choosy with what they download.

I'd find it cheezy for apps that are mostly just ported to have separate versions - but if there is significant work (or a large difference in app size due to textures/polygon complexity) then an iPad version is probably justified. I've seen a number of HD apps that are significantly different than their iPhone versions (Labyrinth 2, Word Search HD) that they feel enough like different apps.

3. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Sword of Fargoal is also a special case, in that the iPad version is published by Chillingo, while the iPhone version is self-published. So they can't be the same app. The iPad update is being submitted today though, and has some nice iPad-specific enhancements, with more to come.

4. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Igree, and is the only app I bought for iPad, the rest I don't care.

5. TexRob

TexRob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I see, that is definitely a special case. Hmm, what to do. The reality is, I game more on my iPad at home I guess, I "should" be working at work, which is where I game on my iPhone most of the time. I guess I'll go with the iPad version.