iPhone UFHO2 - A mind-bending strategy game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CiroContinisio, Jan 13, 2012.

1. CiroContinisio

CiroContinisio Well-Known Member

#1 CiroContinisio, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

UFHO2 is a turn-based strategy game of wit and cunning. The action takes place in an hexagonal U.F.O., and players have to navigate this labyrinth of rooms in a race against an opponent to get the Gems.

The idea of the game is that you have to think fast and act fast. Every turn is 20 seconds, and while your opponent moves you have to plan ahead your next turn.

To get a better idea of the game, check out the gameplay video.
    Some screens:

Title screen
    [​IMG]

All the alien races in the game, each one with its own unique power
    [​IMG]

4 players match in the Training Room
    [​IMG]

Maaaaany powerups on the board!
    [​IMG]

The City in the Clouds
    [​IMG]

Dialogues in the story mode
    [​IMG]

(screens are from the PC version, but they differ only in the aspect ratio!)

The game will be for the iPad, PC, Mac and Linux. We are working hard to create a cross-platform multiplayer mode, so desktop players can compete with tablet players anytime, from any device/computer they have! Neat!

Also, a thing we're pretty excited about is 4 player multiplayer on the same iPad. The game is awesome when played face-to-face, imagine with 3 friends!

We are Tiny Colossus, a two-people team based in Rome. The game was funded back in february via a small Kickstarter campaign.
    UFHO2 is supposed to be released around october, more or less!

For more info, check our website or - if you're feeling social - our Facebook page, our Twitter, our Youtube channel.

2. Levin

Levin Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Kudos for the trailer :) it's brilliant. Looking forward to know more and I'll donate as soon as possible.

3. CiroContinisio

#3 CiroContinisio, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    Thanks Levin! I advice you to hook up with our FB or Twitter, every bit of news will pass from there!
    Double thanks if you decide to donate, it's what will make the game possible!!

Also, yesterday we unveiled some guest characters from other games. The first one is Commander Video:

[​IMG]

4. CiroContinisio

5. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Just backed the project :). Looks interesting.

6. CiroContinisio

Thanks! Actually we reached the goal two days ago. That's awesome! Thanks to you and everybody.
    Now some big time of hard work is awaiting us...

7. CiroContinisio

Many apologies for disappearing for quite a few months, we're deep in development... I just updated the opening post since the old info was - in all honesty - stale.

Also, I added a gameplay video which should clarify how the game works! Enjoy!

8. Skyward

Skyward Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Looks good, looking forward to playing :)

9. peter50

peter50 Member

Sep 5, 2012
    #9 peter50, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    That is really a nice game and often I play such kind games when I get bore at my home and I often get bore when I come back from my office.
    Cheer to have it.

10. CiroContinisio

Thanks guys!

I'm working hard on the AI now. It's coming along nicely, it makes strategy, it thinks about the next turn, it uses some powerups...
    And when it really doesn't know what to do, it passes the turn to you (instead of crashing the game as last week, he eh).

For instance here, the purple alien doesn't know how to enter the area above him because I blocked all the entrances with blocks, and is puzzled (notice the "?" balloon):

[​IMG]

11. Breakdown Studios [it]

Breakdown Studios [it] Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Freelancer IT consultant
    Italy - Lomellina
    Really looking forward to this game! ;-)

12. CiroContinisio

Wow, UFHO2 has made it to the Top 50 Games of 2012 on SlideDB! :)
    Votes are now in progress (and will be for another 6 days) on SlideDB for the best 10? (I guess)

You can vote UFHO2 here on the game's page:

[​IMG]

(it just takes one click, no registration)

13. Grudunza

Grudunza Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Is it even out yet? I thought it's still being developed. It looks good, but how can it be one of the top games of 2012 when it's not available?

14. CiroContinisio

15. JustAnotherUsername

Dec 16, 2012
    Nice

Looking good :)
    Might be a really good game for family multiplayer sessions

16. CiroContinisio

Hey guys! Long time no see! In the past year I've had quite a lot of problems with the development of UFHO2, which eventually came to an halt. But with 2014, things have gone better.

I resume this thread because *trumpets* UFHO2 is almost out!
    It's been in review at Apple's for some days, so there should be just a couple of days before it comes out.

Some new screens from the latest iPad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How is it looking? :)
    I have a trailer for the PC version, but is going live tomorrow.

By the way, once it comes out it will be on discount for 14 days, so if you see it on the App Store, grab it as soon as possible! (same goes for the PC version, which is coming out tomorrow on Desura and Humble Store, actually if you get it today it's 40% off).

I'll keep you posted once it's available. If anybody wants to review it, I can send codes :)

17. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Looks pretty cool. I'm a sucker for hexagonal strategy games.

18. CiroContinisio

Don't be scared by the board though: I could say that the game has only one rule (which is, "if it's connected you can pass"), so it's kinda easy to get at first.

The interaction with the other player, with powerups, with character powers, etc. is what makes the deep strategy, but you can still play a simple match with none of these things on.

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Woah, this looks utterly fantastic! I'd love to see the trailer you have

20. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    #20 Kevd, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Very cool! Sounds accessible to a wide range of gamers. Can't wait to try it out!