Calibration for "tilt" based games...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Rein37, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Rein37

Rein37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Hey all,
    This may sound like a stupid question/problem, but I seem to be completely unable to calibrate my device (ipodtouch, 2nd gen) in order to play tilt based games like Air Penguin, Dark Nebula and more recently Gears. Every time I play these games and attempt to calibrate the games, it just doesn't work and results in my characters bouncing around the screen like crazy.
    I'm pretty sure the accelerometer on my ipod is working just fine as it works in other aspects of my ipod (the browser and other apps flip around just like they should as does the music art and videos), so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here or whats going on.
    Anybody have any ideas? This is really frustrating me!
    Thank you!

2. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Don't know about Air Penguin, but Dark Nebula 1 never had any calibration system as far as I remember. Perhaps that's true for Dark Nebula 2. So you will have to play with the ipod touch parallel to the ground.

Are you saying that you are doing that and still it's not working?

3. Rein37

Rein37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I'm playing Dark Nebula 2, not 1. I've been playing the games while laying on the couch. Can I not do that while playing these type of games?

4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    For Dark Nebula 2, while playing, make a tap with two fingers, game will get calibrated.

5. Rein37

Rein37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Yes, I know. I'm aware of HOW to calibrate the games, what I'm saying is that my attempts to make it work are failing!

6. Hejden

Hejden Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Think of the accelerometer as a water compass. If you hold it horizontally, or at a slight angle, you'll get a good measurement of the angle its currently at - but if you hold it vertically, the bubble will pretty much just remain at the top even it you tilt it or rotate it. So when you play a game and calibrate it to play vertically, the accelerometer will not be able to provide any good readings and the results will be quite random just like you've experienced.

Later models like the iPhone 4 has a gyro added to them to solve this problem.

7. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    One time for me calibrations were not working at all, a simple hard reset (Holding the home and power button for more then 5 seconds and turning off the device, then on again) did the job and fixed the problem.

8. Rein37

Rein37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Hmmmm, ok! I'll give this a shot! I never knew holding it vertically or horizontally would make a difference. Thanks for the tips!