Chipmunk Physics 5.0.0 released!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by slembcke, Dec 7, 2009.

1. #1 slembcke, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    The goods:
    Source (Should build on OSX, Linux and Windows)
    OSX Demo binary (built from the source code above)

I've been sitting on a large number of Chipmunk changes without an official release for almost a year and a half now. Time to stop being lazy!

New features in no particular order:
    • New joints/constraints system. Much more flexible and programable than before. Joints have adjustable parameters now so you can use them like servos and the like.
    • Raycasting. Actually just line segment queries, but should be about as useful and is implemented very efficiently.
    • New collision callback API. You now can register callbacks for collision begin/separate events among other useful things.
    • Sensor shapes. Collision shapes that call callbacks but don't generate collisions, like sensors in Box2D or triggers in Unity.
    • API for safely removing objects from the space from callbacks.

The documentation on the Google Code wiki is also finally up to date.

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    If I remember correctly, there were some very basic issues with Chipmunk that made it unfeasible with Flickitty. I don't remember what those particular issues were, but we had problems making the physics less realistic and forcing it to do what we wanted it to do. One of the reasons we yanked Chipmunk is because of its lack of sensors- which I am glad to see is in the latest version.