iPad Chaos Rings II - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Me too!... Weird. I live in Spain, and now it's 12:25am. Releases usually come out at 1am because the European app store time is the one from UK (GMT) and we are at GMT+1, but I searched for the game to see if I was lucky and there it was, so I bought it :D €14.49, btw. It's expensive for the app store, but I'd rather pay full price for premium games than have freemiums or similar "solutions"...

2. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    I'm so glad this game costs what it does. It's what the app store needs to take the next step in gaming. Can't wait to get this game and hope it is extremely successful.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Square Enix will be glad to hear that, and pricing their next release appropriately. $50 closest to the pin? I wouldn't call myself financially constrained but I think comments like that are crazy considering you don't even know what this game cost to develop, nor the profits they will pull. Comments like that have their marketing team marking up the price for the next release because you accept it.

Anyway, just my 2c's. Doubt I'll be getting it anytime soon because I think the price is getting silly.

4. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Some people might be glad that this game cost so much, but many others won't. I personally think the price is a bit steep. LOTS of people will complain about the price, there's no doubt about that.

Such as this person:

5. JazzFlight

JazzFlight Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    New York
    How much is the iPad version going to be? Same price?

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It is a full scale game priced at $20. It's way cheaper than a PS3 or Xbox game or a PS Vita game. The iOS is potentially a gaming device now. Not as dedicated as the previously mentioned consoles, but it does pretty much a lot of things these consoles do.

iOS games are cheap... Even at $20... Especially at this quality.

7. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Come on now. Slapping a score on a game after just 2 hours? That's not how scores work ;P

8. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    are the environments 2d or 3d cuz it looks like only the characters are 3d

9. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    #69 adamphetamine, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    if you can't find it in rpg section, do a search, if you can't find by in search, click on link here in first page if in NZ
    also i do not live in NZ, i just use that appstore to DL app early, but kinda pain to get started as you cannot use america credit card, but worth the trouble once you set up and done.

10. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

If that's what you think, then you don't understand the market at all. If you think that a higher price on all games will only further the success of iOS gaming, you're fooling yourself. Contrary to popular belief, the majority of people may play games without being gamers. They won't think twice about dropping a couple of bucks, but almost 20? Especially when gas (here at least) is hovering at 4 bucks a gallon, and some of that disposable income is going into the gas tank now?

If game prices were increased across the board, it would result in fewer people buying games, and fewer devs thing it would be worth it, as it would be harder to generate sales.

Having said that, I can see charging 18.99 for a tablet version, as that's more geared to be a gaming platform. But a phone app? Ridiculous. No matter how high end the technical aspects of the game may be, it's still way too much for anything on a phone.

Be careful of what you wish for, especially if you don't think things through.

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Well, the daylight savings time in the US has started this weekend (+1 hour), so maybe all servers are based on Apple's server time? We'll see if in the US, games will be out 1 hour earlier?

12. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I'm assuming they priced it this way because FF XIII costs the same thing used. *just an assumption*

My problem with the pricing has more to do with the platform than the game itself.

Anyways, the total gameplay time compared to FF XIII-2 will tell us how much this game is worth. Also, we can safely assume that the production values are less than console FF games and that marketing costs were much much lower.

13. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Agreed ....may be a dumb question but with the hd version work on a 4s?

14. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    Just a quick response about the price because i don't want the thread to get off track. When I said I was glad about the price it was about it's effect on the app store and how if the game is successful it may attract bigger developers; which will take gaming to the next level for iOS. As far as the price, sure I would much rather pay less but it is what it is.

15. Buffy6

Buffy6 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    There's a iPhone and iPad version. And I think they're just calling the iPad one, HD.

16. DarthSlim

DarthSlim Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Can someone who has already bought the game please tell me if there's an option for English voiceover?

17. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Bought. Cannot afford this, but Christ, that trailer really, really sold me. They weren't kidding about the new rendering engine.

It's the same as before - a mix of static 2D backgrounds with 3D details added in places. A forest will be a still picture right at the back with a couple of trees modelled in 3D, that kind of thing. But they've got a lot better at it - it may basically all be tricks to make you think a scene is more detailed than it really is, but they're very clever tricks and the art design is excellent.

The translation work is not Squenix's best, but I still like old-school JRPG rules enough to enjoy playing the game and the story hook is much better than most (I haven't seen another game using 'Killing people you care about for fun and profit' since Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume on the DS). And the visuals. Jeez. No more new games for me for a while, I think, but damn, this looks so pretty.

Oh, and as far as I know there's only a Japanese dub. The first game was the same, right? English or Japanese text, but only Japanese voices.

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I believe not. And that's a good thing. The size would be huge if there were 2 audio tracks :eek:

19. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I always like my voices in original language so I'm glad it's not dubbed.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Just started playing and WOW those graphics are a lot better than most ipod games I've seen and is a big step up from the older Chaos Rings. Everything is crisp and sharp.

The gameplay mechanics are very similar to the original but they added super moves in which is a nice touch. If there's a New Game+ at the end then this could be my favorite ios RPG. Though it's still lacking multiple save files unfortunately..