Ipad Mini still a good device to buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by xxteargodxx, Aug 27, 2014.

1. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    Hi everybody,

I'm looking to get a new ipad today or within a few days. I'm returning my nvidia shield tablet because I found a defect with it (2 hairline cracks on the corner of the device). I've decided I want to come back to ipad for the wider selection of games than on android.

With that said I have $326 bucks to shop around for a new device. Is an ipad mini worth it still to buy now days? Or should I save up for a mini with retina display maybe?

2. iPad mini stills good but only if you don't mind to not have retina display, so pixel in. If yes, then yeah totally worth it.

3. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    It looks great with both screens make sure it is compatible with iOS8 and then go for it.

4. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I like my mini, except for the fact that it only has 16gb storage. And really, not that much if you count for the OS. As far as a retina display, well, I easily can live without it. I think the screen looks very good.

When mine dies, though, I think I will be going Android because I want the extra storage without having to dip into my kids college fund. When I read how much profit APPLE, and only APPLE makes on storage, it really pissed me off. I bought a 64gb SD card for about $30 for my phone..... imagine what Apple would charge you. :rolleyes:

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I love my mini, retina doesn't bother, but if mine dies I'll get the mini retina if I can afford it, if not then I'll either get another regular mini or an android.

I loooove my mini.

6. xxteargodxx

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    #6 xxteargodxx, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Just got out of Staples picked one up for $269 and got a case as well.

7. xxteargodxx

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    Looks like I'm going back to Staples Sunday since Best Buy is discounting iPads to $199 and I'll get some money back.

8. bhavukjain1

bhavukjain1 Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    iPad mini is getting a bit older with a slower processor and might need a change in about an year because games might not work properly. So, I'll suggest to buy a retina mini instead of it. It will be good for atleast 2 years.
    Not much gaming? Mini is definitely the choice.

9. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I have an iPad mini retina 128GB and it rocks. If I was buying an iPad now, I would probabaly wait until October to see what this year's lineup is then get the newest one.

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm looking forward to seeing it the larger iPads are true and if so what innovations they bring, the tablet space has matured a lot and Apple need to make some serious additions to compete.

11. Kapamilya2

Kapamilya2 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Still a good buy. But if you have the budget why not get an iPad Mini w/ Retina Display. Or better yet wait for the next generation this October.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    With new ones out in October its crazy not to wait

You can either get the new one in October (which will be expensive) but the good news is it'll then push down the price of the earlier ones even more

13. Cagey75

Cagey75 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2014
    There will always be something new upcoming. All i know is my mini plays everything thrown at it from the app store without issue. Games look sweet, don't care about retina display, have an iphone 5 and the games look just as good on the mini ipad as they do on there ...

14. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    #14 Chocolate, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    I want a Mini but I was disappointed by the dimmer colors of its screen. I know some people say they don't notice, but I noticed it immediately the first time I saw them. And sadly the retina version didn't improve the colors.

I'm hoping the Mini "3," or whatever they call it, will have nice vivid colors like the iPad Air (heck, or even like my old iPad 3 when I had it). Then I'll buy one.

OP - I think you should wait until we hear about the next iPad versions for 2014. Then like someone else said you can choose the new version or get an older version even cheaper.

15. Shineconegame

Shineconegame Well-Known Member

This is a good thread cuz I was thinking about the same thing. After reading all what you guys commented here, I think I will get iPad Mini Retina since I love retina display. I like simple and easy stuff.:)