Galaxy on Fire: Alliances (By Fishlabs)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Feb 11, 2013.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#1 killercow, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    "Fishlabs has just announced Galaxy on Fire - Alliances: a massively multiplayer online RTS, that's set in the same universe as Galaxy on Fire 2. The game follows three factions - the Terrans, the Vossk, and the Nivelians - as they fight to claim domination of an uncharted region of the universe, and salvage the area's resources and artifacts. Alliances will be free to play. And it will launch on iOS first - it's currently in a playable Alpha state, and is scheduled for release in quarter three of 2013. After that, an Android port will follow."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Galaxy+on+Fire+-+Alliances/news.asp?c=48460

2. snozzyboy

snozzyboy Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Pretty sure that'll ruin the series the second was amazing

3. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    This looks pretty cool, looking forward to it

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Fkn epic

5. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
  6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Another F2P game.

*sigh*

7. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Oh man I pray pray we aren't losing another great dev so they can jump on the IAP racket. I love GoF2 but I refuse to play any multiplayer game where someone can use money to improve their play.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This. If this ends up like the F2P strategy games... i dunno, it't just going to fail for me i guess.

Fishlabs is a well respected dev, so im not sure how im going to react after reading about this new game.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I really want to be excited about Galaxy of Fire: Alliances. It looks so potentially cool but I can't get past the freemium aspect. Maybe I'm overlooking something but a free to play competitive multiplayer game doesn't seem very logical; whoever pays the most will have an advantage rather than whoever is most "skilled."

The original post here says it will be a "real time strategy game," which sounds promising but Fish Lab's webpage calls it a "multiplayer online strategy game with real-time elements..." which seems a little bit less appetizing.

Wasn't Fish Labs one of the studios that really advocated for a premium price gaming on iOS? If I recall correctly it's sad to see them give up the ghost and resort to freemium themselves.

Also ironic that they say this will have a Q3 2013 release; but also that just their announcement of the game was delayed... so I'm not optimistic about timeliness either.

10. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    for the love of God, please stop this F2P non-sense. It's ruining iOS gaming as a whole, and will bring back the days of PSP and DS! I moved away from those because the iPhone and iPad were better for mobile gaming.

Now it's being ruined! :(

11. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yeah i'm in two minds about that. On one hand you can't build a community with a hefty price tag (or sometimes even with a price tag) so for an mmo it's quite problematic. But on the other hand when you think about IAP in a strategy game you can probably guess that you'll be able to bypass any timer or even buy some currencies and this will lead to a Pay to win game. I don't really see how but I hope they'll nail the freemium aspect.

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #13 Primoz, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Damn... I'm still hoping that they will port Deep: submarine odyssey to iOS. That was an epic game.

Regarding the F2P model. Before hating the game just because of the F2P model, I'll wait a bit and see. It's really hard to get a big community on a game that is not free these days. Let's just see how they'll implement the IAPs.

13. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Bummer, I really enjoyed this franchise.

14. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I just read on FB that fish labs thanked TA for their kind words on this....I don't see nothing nice lol

15. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    #16 visionwebs, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    People have been asking for GOF with multiplayer for a long time...

This is hardly what they had in mind. :(

However to be frank I saw this coming months ago...

When they pointlessly nerfed trading for gameplay calling it 'balance' (balance in single player? Really?)
    And added in IAP at the same time. That's when FISHLABS lost their way.

16. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
  17. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Man, this thread is dead....

So, i installed the beta but have yet to play it......Anyone else in the beta?

There is a NDA but I am sure the FishLab guys will be along soon enough to offer some info and hopefully some updated pics/videos, etc...

18. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    #19 Alister, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    I'm on the closed beta as well..Hey do you know where we'll send the feedback??Im also surprised that the build was on testflight already even though I was not notified through email...good thing I logged-in and saw it earlier..

Edit: pm me the answer if you know..

19. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Lol another f2p of a previously highly praised premium. No devs, just NO