Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-27-2014, 12:26 AM

Default Game Impressions

I really like this game. It is quite awesome. However, there are some serious design issues with it.

Dungelot 2 is a rougelike.
Quote from developer "Dungelot 2 is a remarkably simple and engaging roguelike"

In a rogue-like, the point is to learn from your mistakes when you die so that you can progress further next time. For example: Gee, I shouldn't have attacked a monster stronger than me. Or, next time I better check for traps. The idea is even though the world is random, you are always in control and therefore you can never blame the game for when bad things happen.

Dungelot 2 goes against these principles with: time bomb, ogres, mana drain, and a few others I'll find later, I'm sure.

Time bomb (18 turns to finish the level): basically means you have a 60% chance to pass the level, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Ogres: 15% chance to die, nothing can be done about it. To reach level 40 in dungeon 1, I usually have to fight about 5 ogres. Statistically, that means 55% of the time, I will die, through no fault of my own, and there is no way to change it.

Mana drain: while not necessarily a killer, this is very similar to the above instances due to lack of player control and the fact that mana is a rare resource which is collected slowly. On level 35 I clicked a tile and now I have no mana. No possible way to prepare for or avoid it. I had over 40 mana that I slowly collected and saved since level 1, gone because I clicked a tile in order to progress the game. I was prepared to deal with the difficult fights ahead. I died in the next level because I had no mana. If I had had 3 mana, I would have been fine.

This is terrible game design. These are essentially "game over" menus with a random chance of showing up. Want to kill me with a big monster? Fine. I can prepare for that. But don't have have a completely random chance of me dying just because I clicked a tile or attacked a monster.

If you're not going to follow the idea of a rougelike, then call your game something else, like "random death generator."
Maybe a better game description would be: "Dungelot 2 is a remarkably simple and engaging roguelike with the addition of random unpreventable deaths."

Last edited by typci; 06-27-2014 at 01:28 AM..
Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 AM

No big deal at all, but I did notice that after I found the master key in Ironhold, all the sound effects from the map/character area disappeared.
Also, just out of curiosity, one: are more dungeons planned for the buildings above Ironhold, and is anyone keeping track of tier scores or furthest depth?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:57 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by typci View Post
If you're not going to follow the idea of a rougelike, then call your game something else, like "random death generator."
Maybe a better game description would be: "Dungelot 2 is a remarkably simple and engaging roguelike with the addition of random unpreventable deaths."
This doesn't seem much more random than most rogue-likes I've seen. In fact I think of a fair amount of randomness as one of the defining characteristics of rogue-likes.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
This doesn't seem much more random than most rogue-likes I've seen. In fact I think of a fair amount of randomness as one of the defining characteristics of rogue-likes.
sure, but i think he has got some points that can get pretty annoying later in the game.

nevertheless, loving the game like hell keep on working on it please!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 AM

don't know if this is a bug or intended:

i got the skill that my first spell is free - so it shows as '0'.
if i tap on a crystal, the spell even goes down to '-1', '-2' and i get mana from the spell

Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 PM

I don't know too much about it but i really think you guys here should check the Twitter feed from Pixeye. I started playing Dungelot 2 from the beginning on my iPhone 6 (had to revisit that great but flawed/bugged game) and I wanted to see if anything new has happened since 2-3 months ago. Dead here so I got nosey and poked around and long story short it looks like there is a Dungelot 3 possibly happening and if the stuff I saw on Twitter that linked to YouTube is correct they are going back to the cartoon art lots of you were missing. So far the small parts I seen had me DROOLING!

I basically started at http://dungelot.com then clicked on the Twitter button on the top right. I don't know if he wants me to put screenshots in here as I did not ask yet but I was too excited to not tell you guys. Despite the rough bugs D2 had I still loved the game as well as the original. I am putting this at the top of my most wanted games on the iOS.

Last edited by TrencH; 09-20-2014 at 11:13 PM..