Coldfire Keep: First-Person RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by geppetto, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Old-school RPGs like "Dungeon Master" are:

1. Awesome, I can't get enough of them!

167 vote(s)
    61.6%
  2. Alright, I can take them or leave them.

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Dead, modern RPGs are far better.

37 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Who cares; all RPGs suck.

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    The food and water system can be good provided theres a way to always get food or store it,for example i seem to remember finding a gold coin and flipping it in front of a gargoyle's head on the wall could regenerate rats in dungeon master meaning there was always a way to get food.Pleasing everyone is impossible but the more feedback from people the better.

2. BillyMays14

BillyMays14 Member

Mar 9, 2012
    I appreciate that you have the food system as it really makes it into a complete experience. However, more options is always better so I'm sure a toggle for the food system (or if you're ambitious-a slider) would be appreciated by a wider audience. As for what I would like to see, I'm playing Grimrock right now and like the tension of the rune-based spell casting system. However, I'm not sure it would be best on a mobile version as it would get too cumbersome to use without a mouse and keyboard. What are you planning on doing with that? Thanks.

3. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Definitely have the option. I will personally keep the hunger system toggled on, but unless you are aiming at a hardcore experience, include the option to toggle on/off to generate more sales.

4. geppetto

geppetto Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry for the delay in response, I've stopped getting emails to tell me when people post here (?)

Anyway, I'm happy to conclude that making the hunger system optional is the way to go, based on the comments here. It's an easy thing to do, so I'll definitely go with that option.

I haven't even started creating the spell system, but at this stage it's going to be a bit of a mix of several ideas. Players will find spells (i.e. scrolls) as they explore the dungeon which will allow them to learn that spell (basically make it accessible on their list by name - e.g. "Fireball"). Then, they'll either have a mana level which governs the number of spells they can cast, from that list of spells they've discovered (each with a specific "cost"), OR an almost D&D-like system where they can cast a set number of spells depending on their character level. I haven't decided which is going to work best at this stage.

5. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Just thought I'd post a few progress shots on the new environments. I recently decided to scrap everything and start over as I was never happy with the previous look. Just reassuring everyone that development on this thing is still going full steam ahead :)

Be sure to follow along at the official site. Also, I'll be starting to throw out regular mini-updates on Twitter going forward, so if you're interested in knowing the latest, please follow @sjarm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Captive

Nov 28, 2011
    Some really cool atmospheric looking screens there Steve,will the creatures be dungeon master based free roam or random generated?

7. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    The creatures in Coldfire Keep roam freely - definitely no random encounters this time around :)

8. Captive

Nov 28, 2011
    Great news and thanks for the reply.

9. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Here's a sneak peek at the WIP Character Generator showing the class selections (Warrior, Rogue, Caster, Shaman) and the basic ability point system. Very traditional.

[​IMG]

10. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    And one more; in-game with a bit of (WIP) interface showing.

Now... back to work!

[​IMG]

11. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    This Game getting better and better its week.

Looking forward!!!

12. recninja

recninja New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    This game looks pretty sweet. Any chance for me to get some press coverage on the game?

13. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    #33 LazyGamer, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    The characters again don't really seem to fit.

Free roaming is great!

14. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep - all the inhabitants of Coldfire Keep are of the wandering variety! They may even have some interesting little behaviours... more on that once I've successfully implemented it though :)

15. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    #35 LazyGamer, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    OK, so this is on my list. But please, please use the power of testflight this time or at least have the game played by a dozen people before release. Nothing against hunger mechanics in general, but only if it is implemented without being a game breaker.

16. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Trust me, there will be plenty of folks testing the game once it gets closer to its final structure. Balance is definitely always first and foremost in my mind whenever I sit down to work on the systems for the game.

The hunger mechanic shouldn't be an issue. I've come up with a couple of ways the ensure that food is always available... even if you have to make a little effort to get hold of it sometimes.

17. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    It's been a while since I updated this thread so I just thought I'd drop some new screenshots to assure everyone that progress is definitely being made.

Development is progressing well and the depths of Coldfire Keep are really starting to take shape...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That's actually looking pretty great. Any sense when we will get to see this in motion?

19. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I like the look of this game, and I will definitely check around for this game, but I have to say I like modern RPGs much better.

20. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks! I'll be putting together a new teaser in the not too distant future.

At this stage I should be done with the game late 2012/very early 2013... but we shall see how that goes.