★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Upcoming Platform Game: Suzy Cube

04-13-2018, 10:20 AM
Suzy Cube Update: April 13, 2018

Sorry, folks, tiny update this week as it's my wife's birthday today and we are throwing a big party. I've, thus, been running around a lot this week gathering supplies and have to get back to prepping the house and the food and the drinks and myself, etc.

So, on that note, what have I got!? Simply put, this week has been an extension of last week's work to make better use of power-ups throughout the game. The big difference this week has been the focus on the Invincibility and Magnet power-ups. Unlike the power-up hats, which stick with you as long as you don't get hit, these other two power-ups are temporary. Because of this, they require situations to be set up to maximize their use. In some cases, I adapted bits of levels which already worked well for this and in others I had to add new, often secret, areas to showcase them.

Which brings us to the other thing I did this week. As I've been going through the game's levels, I've been taking the opportunity to add more secret areas to discover. Some are as simple as hidden balconies off the back sides of platforms while others are whole secret rooms! I hope players will have a good time discovering these!

Okey dokey! I've rambled long enough! I've got to get back to prepping for the party!
Thanks for checking in and see you all next week.
04-15-2018, 08:39 AM
I was just wondering if this game has a story to it?
Can you talk to characters to complete quests etc?

Thanks
04-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemineye62 View Post
I was just wondering if this game has a story to it?
Can you talk to characters to complete quests etc?

Thanks
I don't know how familiar you are with the 3D Mario games, but this game is definitely more in the 3D Land, 3D World vein of games rather than the more open ended games like 64 or Sunshine.

So, light on story and level based rather than quest/mission based. I just felt the straightforward nature of advancing from stage to stage simply fit the mobile platform better.
04-20-2018, 02:41 PM
Suzy Cube Update: April 20, 2018

Sorry for the late update, folks. I wrote my blog post about three hours ago but then found myself diving back into some work before publishing it... Anywho, here we are!

Let's see... First an update on the UI. I had a lot of back-and-forth with Noodlecake, throwing some mockups at each other this week. Since things are more in flux than I had previously thought, I want to continue to hold off before showing off their progress. Stay tuned, though! I promise!... Eventually...

Otherwise... I spent the week making the very last edits to levels before locking that sh*t down! As we discussed dates this week, I committed to no longer touching the levels for the sake of it after today. From today onward, any changes made to levels will be done specifically to address bugs found in playtesting! So, what has this entailed?

Well, a few last minute secret coin caches, of course! Especially in the Secret World stages (yes, I'm calling it the Secret World now to better differentiate it from the Special Stages)

Also, I spent the bulk of the last couple days fixing up the falling waterfall logs on Level 3-4.

Changing the setup was deceptively complicated but it was my last chance to fix the only issue I had with the stage. It's one of my favourite stages from a visual point of view and it really bugged me that, depending on the timing with which players arrived at the waterfall climbing sections, they could be stuck waiting for several seconds for a platform to drift by. Not to mention the old patterns could even leave players stranded if they took the "wrong" platform up. Well, no more! And, while I was at it, I also fixed a bug in Unity's CharacterMotor so Suzy doesn't teleport along with a moving platform if its position jumps a large distance!

Hurray for waterfalls!!

Finally, I continue to work on bug fixes and addressing polish issues I've had in the hopper for months (or sometimes years). For example, I changed up how the buzzing sounds of the bees are handled so they are more consistent and less grating!

Well, that about does it for this week! From now on, I'm all bug fixes and Noodlecake support!
I see a light folks! A LIGHT!!!