Universal Primal Flame wielding arcade game.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by irrelevantfish, Feb 6, 2014.

1. irrelevantfish

Jan 11, 2014
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    #1 irrelevantfish, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

Hello TA folks,

Coming on 25th Feb - Flame wielding arcade game with a poetic atmosphere and irritable flowers.

Description :

It's dark and you're alone amidst the sounds of the forest. Strike up a flame to light your way in this alluring and dangerous world.

Encounter malevolent flowers, falling leaves and dark rain as the forest seeks imaginative ways to extinguish your flame. Rescue luminous seeds to refuel your light and help you fight the growing darkness.

Swipe, dodge and burn to stay alive as you move through the obstacles in a dance of fire.

• - Progression through 3 increasingly difficult worlds with infinite replay value.
    • - Unlockable flames & spells achievable through gameplay only- no IAP :)
    • - Created by an indie team of 2

If you have any question / suggestion, feel free to send us a pm or a mail at press-at-irrelevantfish.com

More at: http://irrelevantfish.com/primalflame
    or twitter : @primalflame

Attached Files:

2. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    lol well that's a bit vague.

3. irrelevantfish

Jan 11, 2014
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    Hey Geno. I've added the details just now. Trailer coming soon.

4. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I meant no disrespect at all, I just thought it was a little funny. Looks great from the screens though!

5. irrelevantfish

Jan 11, 2014
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    None taken, just trying out some styles to see what gets attention.

Thanks, great to hear that you like the shots.

We've worked on it for 15 months and we're a bit nervous about the launch now. It's crunch time :D

6. irrelevantfish

Jan 11, 2014
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    Release Date Announcement

[​IMG]

7. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    #8 Joyomi, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    Thanks a lot for the code, starting to play right now! Okay I just reached level 15 and unlocked a new stage, and so far I'm liking it a lot. I love the eerie atmosphere and calm music of the game. The controls are super simple, works very nice. I'm not sure what game to compare it to, but you control your flame to pick up seeds while dodging leafs and burning plants trying to kill you. You collect seeds to upgrade your flame, so far I have upgraded my flame to have a larger radius, and a health regenerator. Their are also spells, but haven't unlocked one yet. It also gets quite hard, but I have improved my high score. Will play more later on.

8. irrelevantfish

Jan 11, 2014
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    Thanks, really glad you're enjoying it!

I like the fact that you can't compare it directly to other games. Our goal was to make a game that was truly original and immersive.

The rain at world 2 will hit you hard :D. spells really help and you can get more seeds to unlock them by completing an achievement.

we need some help to spread the word so tell your friends :)

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Saw this thread a while back and remember being really impressed by the visuals and reading geno's comment. I forgot to post something myself though heheh. Well your front page recognition definitely reminded me! The game play does look kinda Tilt-to-live esque (in the best possible way) and i hope the $3 mo iap scheme works well for you! :D

10. irrelevantfish

Jan 11, 2014
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    Hi JCho122, glad you like the look of it. For the graphics , our goal was to try to maximise the immersion within a 2d game.

We also wanted to make a non retro indie :D

A longer trailer will be out soon so you'll know more about it.

11. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    #13 Lavender, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Thank you so much for the code!

Not enough of a complaint to make it into my review:

I've noticed that sometimes, it is a little hard to read the words in the center of the the quotes because the background is too light against the white letters. It can get a little frustrating which could lead to the overall feeling in playing the game. I wouldnt change the color because it contributes nicely to the look of the game. But, I would suggest, maybe, a drop shadow on the letters?

Also, it would be nice to see a 'wimp' section or kids section. My younger kids (between ages of 6 and 12) were too frustrated with the game. It would be nice to see something like a game with no darkness? Or, slower to getting there?
    I don't know. :) but, I do know, that they would love this game if they were able to play it.
    Thank you.

Following is my review/impressions as promised:

Primal flame
    If I was asked to change the name of this game, I would simply name it; Unique. The game has a very ethereal and surreal quality to it. And believe it or not; a rustic one as well. The music in the background is very relaxing. I must say how beautiful the game truly is. It's like mini fireworks without the boom. Bright simple lights that are not too bright. Very nice. Between games are quotes from various artists. Not necessary to the game but a nice bonus.

Also in the background is the sound of fire. (Of course there is!) Almost like a romantic lit fire in a cozy secluded cabin. Seriously, when you are not playing, it won't be hard to imagine this. Did someone hire a group to play music for me while I sip wine or hot cocoa by the fire next to a loved one? Hmmm....
    I must admit, that to me, it's more of a 'relaxation' app then a game one.
    Primal Flame is the perfect app/game after a long stressful day. The game gets your mind off of things, & the tranquil music & lights help you to relax.
    I realize that writing this may lead you to believe that this is a simple slow game of lights & music. It is not. It gets harder. There is a challenge here. Can you beat it? Well.... Who cares. Wether you win or lose, the ride there is still nice.

-Lavender

12. irrelevantfish

Jan 11, 2014
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    #14 irrelevantfish, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Hi Lavender,

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate you taking the time to reply.

The quotes are part of the atmosphere of the game and have no impact on the actual gameplay, but we'll try to make sure that they are all fully visible none the less.

Glad to see that your children enjoyed the flame. We noticed that many children loved the combination of light and sound at their fingertips, and we've thought about creating a kid / zen section, we'll see if it is a popular demand.

In reference to the difficulty, it was important for us to maintain the competitive nature of true arcade style gaming , which hopefully will inspire the player to develop their skills over time while enjoying the atmosphere.

For advice on playing, don't panic when grabbed, use the atmosphere to help you maximise your focus. Remain light fingered and go with the flow ;).
    Other flames and spells will help you progress.

Spread the word. :D

13. irrelevantfish

Jan 11, 2014
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    Release Trailer

Updated main post with release trailer.

14. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    The game is pretty simple. You control the match by swiping your finger to light the match, then hold down to maintain the light. There'll be some obstacles such as leaves, falling darkness, etc depends on which location do you play. They will block your way to collect the light seeds. You should avoid them, or your flame life will be decrease. Those light seeds can be used to replenish your flame life also for unlock another light/ spell on the shop. Think too easy for you? Wait, there're wild flower which will chase also want to capture you. They are so bad, because they also try to grab your life resource. Yes, they will grab the light seeds too.

Fortunately, you can defeat them by burning their stem though you should be careful because they can easily capture you when you're careless. The longer time you live here, the harder enemies will you faced. Beside they become faster, their number also increasing. In this case, you can use your powerful spell for the urgent condition. There're 3 kinds of spell such as; Deus Ex can burn all the flowers stem and collect all light seeds, Guardian will protect you for a moment and Sands of Time which will slow down the time. However, you can obtain one spell only for each playing after unlocking them from the shop. To use that, you just need to touch the screen with 3 fingers during play. This spell has 30 seconds cooling down time in default.

There're 3 locations that can be played so far. Each location has different condition and give different challenge too. You can unlock the next location after reach level 15 on the previous location. Primal Flame is a premium game with high replay value. Like I've said before, it might has shop, but it doesn't have any IAP inside. All the seeds that used for unlock other flame and spell can be gained, pure by playing only. Sometimes, I feel that's just too much and need too many efforts.

But hey, where's the point of this game if I can gain anything easily? Don't we need to struggle for a victory? Yes, luckily the developer still kind enough by giving away some light seeds for every completed objective. Ah, I almost forget, there are 7 different flame colors on shop. Each of them has different ability, for example: Magnetic Ruby can attract seeds from farther away, Helio will give you bigger light, etc. You can choose which color do you want to use after unlocking them.

I like the graphic style of Primal Flame. It combines the black silhouette with a single color beautifully. The background color depends on which flame did you used. The mysterious and ambient sound effect gave a better experience for this game. Primal Flame can be download on the App Store cost $2.99 and you won't find any ads nor IAP inside. If you're looking for an arcade game with premium features, definitely you shouldn't miss this one.

Graphic/ Sounds: 4 out of 5
    Game Control: 3.5 out of 5
    Gameplay: 4 out of 5
    Replay Value: 4.5 out of 5
    Overall: 4 out of 5

It's out now at NZ : https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/primal-flame/id600052237?mt=8