iPhone game most similar to Mario 64?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by vibliribland, Aug 7, 2011.

1. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I've looked trough the AppStore and haven't found anything decent in the field of modern platformers like Mario 64 and banjo kazooie.

Are there really no good platformers? Sounds strange since there are at least 10 decent RPGs and that is a much smaller audience.

Any tips are welcome :)

2. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    There are good platformers like the new Emberwind, Frogatto, or Cordy, but I'm not sure about the 3D platformers you're referring to.

3. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    The most important aspects are
    -a lot of different elements, like different periodic changes to the character, eg flowers in super Mario etc
    -collecting something to advance fitter into the game, eg stars in mario and jigsaw pieces in banjo kazooie
    -different "worlds", different settings and in each world different objectives
    -a lot to collect in order to get good highscore.

So, for me a good platformer isn't about getting to the end in a sidescrolling stage, it's about exploring and finding all red coins :)

4. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    You might want to try out Emberwind then. There's secret areas, a lot to collect, and powerups to collect on the way, plus finding new special abilities and there's little quirks in the game like talking to little gnomes that don't seem to do much, but add to points in the end.

5. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Bugdom 2 and Otto Matic are pretty decent 3d platformers. Bugdom is most like Mario, while Otto is sorta like Ratchet and Clank.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think the closest you'll get in the App Store is Rayman 2. The game released to middling reviews a while back, but Gameloft has since updated and greatly improved the controls. Now Rayman plays more like an action platformer, but I think it's the closest thing to Mario 64 you'll find on iOS (neither OttoMatic nor Bugdom 2 are are really platformers in the traditional sense).

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    There's a million of these threads.

What SZ said. Also try Soosiz or Castle of Magic. Toki Tori is nice but not side scrolling. Theres also Super Monkey Ball and Rolando.

8. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    #8 Simon Potticary, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    Yup, CygnetSeven was bang on the money with Soosiz. Castle of Magic however, feels unbelievably dated now (not in the good retro sense).

If you can live with the £2.99 ($4.99) price of entry, the excellent Giana Sisters has aged very gracefully and would make a fine addition to any self-respecting iTunes collection. Meanwhile, the utterly gorgeous Emberwind has already had one or two shouts and Rayman 2 is just plain boring. Lastly, if you want a properly polished platformer with a half-decent storyline, Elemental Rage is well worth a look too, but personally my three recommendations would have to be:

• Supercow: Funny Farm
    • Pizza Boy
    • Rolando 2

Supercow is utterly gorgeous, beautifully charming and nicely polished, and with tons of secrets and hidden area's it's stacks of fun too! Pizza Boy is old skool kool all the way and pleasingly challenging, while Rolando 2 is arguably the greatest iOS platformer to date.

There's been some great shouts already, but if you stick to these three (all of them if poss), you'll not go far wrong.

Have fun!

9. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Man, it's like you guys have never played Mario 64 but are still throwing out recommendations.

10. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Waiting for you to enlighten us. What is your list?

11. asolja

asolja Active Member

Mar 10, 2009
    #11 asolja, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    Whoa,what a truly unhelpful member,more so for being a senior one.Try being constructive or at the very least Helpful.(triggywiggy that is)

12. BravoStarX

BravoStarX Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Director of Logistics
    Anaheim Hills CA
    Lol

Please tell me that Supercow and Utterly are together on purpose! hahaha

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks a ton. Didn't know about Supercow - just bought it, it's excellent

14. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Monkey Land 3D

Have you tried Monkey Land 3D I made this game and really wanted it to have the fun 3D exploration feel to it.

15. bossepy

bossepy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Crazy hedgy, maybe?

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm i did like the look of this and bought it, but found it to be very poor and deleted it soon after. Avoid

17. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that :( I did just release an update and a lot of new features might help you like it. The sound can now be turned off, a level select menu really helps show you what needs to be unlocked, there are some little dudes that explain how to move around and jump better and I added a couple levels that have more story in them plus new characters (based on my real life friends). What version did you get and what were the main reasons you didn't like it?

This is the latest version 1.7 it came out on Halloween and since your post is the 24th I don't think you tried this version yet. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monkey-land-3d/id714734930?mt=8

18. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Monkey land actually looks good.

19. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Just updating this thread with the new FREE version of Monkey Land 3D - Sub Zero. I basically made a new snow world level and made it free, kind of like a demo to try the game out but with extra special features (like snowboarding!) to make it more fun!

iTunes link

[​IMG]