iPhone Little Crane World Editor

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by bram, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Some free DLC

Here is some free DLC for the Little Crane That Could.
    I made this little obstacle course in the World Editor.
    https://www.icloud.com/documents/dl/?p=08&t=BAIAspHbVL3YKc47pR0B9Xv44R3NGnKeDk0C

Further news:
    16:9 Widescreen support on iPhone5 coming to both the game and the editor. V4.4.1 of the game has been submitted to Apple for review. I am working on V1.3 for the World Editor.

I also identified a race condition in the Editor, for which I have a fix coming up. Some crash dumps from Apple have reached me, and I would like to have them all fixed. For this I need your help: If the editor (or game) ever crashes on you, please send me an email describing all the steps leading up to it. Or use this forum describing the crash, I read all messages here.

Thanks!

Bram

2. T-Roth

T-Roth New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    iCloud problem

I didn't see the note about turning iCloud on before installing, and now that I have it on nothing I do seems to allow me to save to the cloud. Any idea how I can fix it? I've tried reinstalling several times, restarting the iPad.

3. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    That is puzzling. I'll do my very best to fix this for you.

First, please check some device settings for me:

(1) If you open the 'Settings' app on your device, and chose iCloud tab, then is 'Documents & Data' switched to 'ON'?

(2) When still in 'Settings' app, iCloud tab, select 'Storage & Backup' and then select 'Manage Storage' is there an entry 'the little crane that could'? If so, what data does it contain?

Next, check some things in the World Editor app:

(3) Upon starting the editor, do you get a warning dialog saying that iCloud is not enabled?

(4) Can you confirm that if you press the 'Designs' button, all your designs are listed under 'Designs (local)' and none are listed under 'Designs (iCloud)'?

(5) What happens if you press a blue 'disclosure' button on a local design and choose 'Move to iCloud'?

Thank you for reporting,

Bram Stolk

4. T-Roth

T-Roth New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Thanks Bram, Step 1. Fixed the problem. I never used iCloud before so it only had the default settings. You might want to add that to the notes in the iTunes store.

5. T-Roth

T-Roth New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    How to download content?

I tried the link at the top of the page and it redirects to a page that says the file will be downloaded. But I never see any new content in the game or editor. Is there another setting I need to enable?

6. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Just tested the link and it works fine for me.
    You need to open the link on your device, not on your pc or mac.

You will get a dialog with 'open in World Editor' option.

The only other thing that could be a cause are the icloud outages that apple suffered the last few days.

7. T-Roth

T-Roth New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Looks like you have to use Safari for it to work. The browser I was using only showed a picture of a cloud.

Any plans to have consolidated list of user created content?

8. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    I encourage people to post them here.
    Although you need to be aware that exported files are purged from Apples server after I believe 3 weeks.

9. Frednl

Frednl New Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Little disappointed.

Hallo,
    Just bought the game but i am not satisfied. Because it is boring when i can't do anything in my own created world, no parts or element to play with.
    If i can change this please somebody help me out. For now i am a little disppointed.:confused:

10. polimerjones

polimerjones Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Editor Piece

One of the best levels is the bridge completing one where you have to pieces of road that has the cross shaped hole in the center that you must move to the bridge before driving to the other side. How come that piece isnt in the editor? that would be awesome to get added.

11. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    I'll add some more pieces in the next release of game+editor.
    I also improved the SkyCrane sim.

Note that the pieces that can be used in editor are somewhat limited.
    This is because the Blocks are size 1x1x1, and if props don't fit in that space, users could end up placing props too close to each other, causing them to intersect at startup.

bram

12. polimerjones

polimerjones Member

Oct 14, 2012
    #72 polimerjones, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    I see your point with the piece size. But wouldn't a 2x1x1 work the same way?]

Also if anyone has any levels they would like to share, I would be happy to play them.

13. Little Crane

Little Crane Member

May 22, 2012
    Bruges, Belgium
    What about a 'water-block' 1x1?
    Wooden crates and balls should float on the water, and if the water isn't surrounded by concrete walls it 'll float away.
    Should be very cool :)

Here are some levels I've designed; please also share yours:
    "Load-unload":
    https://www.icloud.com/documents/dl/?p=09&t=BAKnpfjQUbB2BDV8850B2afByTn5GMT3l6cC

"Dump truck":
    https://www.icloud.com/documents/dl/?p=09&t=BAIfu58dd1C_4bJtQ-8BlRIOfaqQlF0NmKcC

Regards,

14. Little Crane

Little Crane Member

May 22, 2012
    Bruges, Belgium
    Bram, have you played my levels?

15. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Just played Load Unload.
    It is freaking awesome!
    I managed to get a ball in the basket.

Only concern I had: it ran too slow (16 fps) on my iPad1.
    I think the ball count is too high for iPad1.

Also, my iPad3 refused to load them.
    I have to investigate why this is.
    It could be a bug introduced in latest game version, or latest iOS version.
    Or maybe there is something wrong with my iCloud account.
    I will have to investigate this. Sigh... I thought I had fixed the last remaining bugs, but maybe not.

Well done on the level design!

Bram

16. Little Crane

Little Crane Member

May 22, 2012
    Bruges, Belgium
    You managed to park the truck at the end of the road? Therefore you have to fill up the gap in the road with balls (insert them at the top of the building).
    Could you PM me your mailadres, would like to discuss some features in the game.

Regards,

17. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi, you can email me at gmail, where I am the user b.stolk

18. Bonndor

Bonndor Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Hello, sorry but i'm french and i'm not very speek in english. Well, i have a problem because i can't open a file when i click on the link. I have a sheet who ask me if i want open the file and there is nothing who is open, i have only the sheet whith two button, one "open in ..." And one " open in world editor" but i can't click on the link nothing is hapened. Have you already this problem, can you help me please.
    But thank you for this game, it's a great pleasure to play and to create level, and this is the only game of this style. Thank you very mutch.

19. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi Bondor,

I have exactly the same problem.
    It looks like something broke in iOS6.
    I can click on the link and open levels with an iOS5 device, but not with an iOS6 device.
    So far, I have been unable to find the cause. I am trying to get a response from Apple's developer forums on this.

Bram

20. Bonndor

Bonndor Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Ok thanks, i hope you will receive a positive response.