Fish Labs Betrayal Megathread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by adamlax, Dec 8, 2016.

1. adamlax

adamlax Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Male
    This truly makes me sad. GOF2 was such a great game. Truly open universe, great amount of content, and awesome story lines. A game i still have on my iPad and play frequently. I was so stoked when they announced GOF3. I thought it was going to be a better version of gof2 and was so excited. Sadly I see how great developers can turn to greedy developers and ruin a series. This game looks great, but its the typical App Store free game where you go on "contracts" that are same ole thing over and over again. There are the stupid different tiered crates for better rewards. And it's not even open universe. And the story is so awful. I mean it feels to me they just threw together a complete minutes worth of brainstorm and finished the games story. They are one of the few developers to make a game like gof2 that has iap's and still be totally awesome. I bought all the dlcs for it and gladly gave money to it because you can see the love they poured into gof2. Sadly I've lost a little respect from these great developers for making another money grabbing free game that could've been so great.

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Really liked GoF2 back in the day when I put a bit of time in to. Was easy to get lost in the "to-do" list of the games world.

Now I won't touch this with a twenty footer.

3. amoeba

amoeba Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huge fan of GoF2. Huge disappointment so far.

I played for about 2 hours and don't know if I can play any more. This is completely unlike the original game, more like Dungeon Hunter 5 in space. All you do is go out on missions, grind for gold/blueprint/meha'tek to upgrade your ship to be high enough for next boss. Rinse and repeat.

Where is the trading? Where is the moving between systems? Where is checking out the different space stations? Where is mining? What the hell am I even playing?

The ship combat dynamics is also very dumbed down. Move cursor over the target area and ships die. No adjusting tilt while in flight so you're locked into a very annoying space orientation, no real speed adjustment. Everything is dumbed down where I don't even recognize the the game anymore.

Is it two completely teams that developed this? If you're going to do a multiplayer game at least have a global chat or teams that can help each other. This game just doesn't make sense to me. Back to looking for good GoF2 alternatives...

4. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    That's pretty much what I was afraid of. But hey at least we will still have GOF 2 HD to play. I still think it's the best space "sim" game on iOS. Others have tried and come close.

5. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    #5 Palanthian, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    I played GoF2 to death, every expansion. It hooked me from the first moment to the last.

This, I actually struggled to get through the tutorial, it's just so slow and, quite frankly, boring. The dumbed-down auto-fire combat didn't excite me in the slightest, and you spend most of your time just trying to get from one waypoint to another. The graphics are good, but it's just not enough anymore.

I didn't make it all the way through the tutorial before an in-game message popped up asking me if I was enjoying the game - I answered no and deleted the app. A wasted opportunity.

Maybe people who never played the previous game, or people who are new to this genre for whatever reason, will find it worth pursuing, but I couldn't carry on playing this even if I was paid to.

6. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Well-said Palanthian, you've always been well-spoken, from the dark depths of the SWGOH boards to the light (on the surface) greenery of the TA forums. I've already put in my two-cents in the Soft-Launch thread of this game here; there's absolutely nothing more that can be done, as decisions have already been solidified beyond the atomic structure of a diamond...

7. yojimbo

yojimbo Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Yikes. Tough crowd.

8. Kainamor

Kainamor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    The online requirements is what makes this unplayable for me. Why didn't they just make a different game instead of creating a sequel but entirely change the mechanics?

9. Palanthian

Feb 19, 2016
    Hey, nice to bump into you here!

At least we have the new ship battles in SWGOH, that's enough to satisfy my ship combat needs for now. :)

I've just reviewed Dawn of Titans in another thread, as both games emerged from soft launch for release today. DoT is similarly uninspired.

It's such a pity that monetisation drives game design decisions these days, rather than a passion for creating "art" - which is what games used to be. They spend more time analysing customer profiles, spending activity and the optimal colour of "buy" buttons than creating engaging, challenging content these days.

When the combat system is simplified to this level, as has been done in GoF3, it becomes pointless. I don't feel like I'm flying a ship, I feel like I'm trying to get the circle in the middle of my screen on top of another moving circle using touch controls. Because that's all the combat in this game amounts to.

They had a game system that worked, and was popular. All they had to do was take that concept and add a multiplayer element. GoF3 could have been the unique open world space MMO that everyone wanted on their mobile device.

Instead they looked at every other freemium game and thought, "How can we shoehorn Galaxy of Fire into that typical freemium model?"

Well congratulations Fishlabs, you achieved it. Galaxy of Fire is now just another paint-by-numbers freemium game, devoid of depth or soul.

10. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Another big fan of GoF2 here, and sadly this entry in the GoF franchise has devolved into a disappointing over-simplified shadow of its former glory :(

Another victim of the unfortunate trend of games designed around monetization first at the expense of gameplay?

This is like making a sequel to C&C Generals with the gameplay of Boom Beach :/

11. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I played a few missions and just did not like the game as much as the first one or second game. Can you eventually go out on your own
    and explore? Are you stuck doing linear missions throughout the whole game? If so, I will have to pass on this one.

12. bhuma

bhuma New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Already played an hour and already disappointed .
    After just how brilliant the first two were.

I'll give it another crack after work , but without the free roam or piracy options I'm not going in with high hopes.

For a more casual gamer this may be enough, timers etc but for a decent session I can't see the itch for depth being scratched.

13. dunhila

dunhila Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    This is not Galaxy on Fire.It has no exploration,it has no freedom!There is no trading in the game!Being the pilot of a spaceship has never felt so boring.They removed the timer in the game that would stop you from playing but..there is nothing to play.There is no actual content.They took nearly 3 months to deliver new features to the game but these 3 months are a waste.Nothing has changed,it's the same game without a timer.Shame,shame,shame!

Well,for those of you who actually want a sequel to Galaxy on Fire,I suggest checking out Everspace(from the original Galaxy on Fire developers)

14. Palanthian

Feb 19, 2016
    Well that explains everything. Just read the Everspace thread and now I fully understand why GoF3 is nothing like the first two games. The thing is, it shows.

15. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    It seems to be the same repeat missions without any depth to it. If there was more variation, content, and meaningful online connectivity I wouldn't mind but it doesn't seem to have any of that.

16. chuckfinley

chuckfinley Active Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Mojito bar
    Echoing others' comments. Loved the first two GoFs and spent ridiculous time on them. Would have preferred release of IAP expansion DLC for a game like those. Played a couple hours. Now deleting. Sign up promo or not.

Sad day for real GoF fans. Thanks for nothing Fishlab

17. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Tobi has been very quiet. It's weird to see all the same comments as in the beta thread. Well, not weird, just tells me feedback wasn't listened to. Shame. Had high hopes for this. Especially when Tobi came back and said they were fixing things because of the critiques.

I actually thought they would, you know, fix it.\

Shame on me.

18. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    Bad freemium sh;t :(

19. dunhila

dunhila Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Tobi hasn't even been online the past two days.He is well aware what the game is at it's current state and that Fishlabs haven't fixed anything or listened to any player feedback but the game will get what it deserves because of all this ignoring.

20. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I don't like silver in my FISH...

Hahaha, I had to laugh out loud at the optimal color of "buy" buttons bit, because it turns out that it just may be true that a portion of the budget is spent on systems analysts and psychologists to give detailed suggestions on the optimal positioning, size, hue, luminescence, shadow, contrast, structure, dimensions, opacity, etc. of certain In-App Purchase-related buttons/widgets/links.

Like I mentioned before, in the Soft Launch thread, some members including myself have tried our best to give suggestions when the game was in BETA, but their project plans had already been decided, and our serious legacy suggestions were not considered. They claimed that GOF2's high "maintenance" costs was the reason they went bankrupt (Schutzschirmverfahren in Eigenverwaltung, to be exact), so they made Galaxy on Fire: Alliances as a source of recuperating due expenses. Around that time, the FREEMIUM (current) business model was becoming more and more popular, so after being acquired by Deep Silver, FISHLABS became DEEP SILVER FISHLABS. Apparently, GOF Alliances generated some much needed revenue, so they decided to put a TON of resources into Galaxy on Fire 3: Manticore in hopes of generating exponentially higher revenue than Alliances did. This is all good for business, but not good for the millions of fans of the true GOF titles who were expecting a true successor to GOF2.

The damage control is simple: Pave the road for new players over our (the fans) dead bodies.

The game will obviously cater to new players, and with the gorgeous shiny FREEMIUM visuals, they will be drawn to it. We the long-time fans are expected to either give in or give up, besides, we are outnumbered. We will soon be forgotten; business as usual. At least we can still play GOF2.

Welcome back, dunhila! I've checked out Everspace; it's $29.99 on STEAM, and I'm extremely interested in buying it and playing it on my PC! I'll check out my system specs to make sure it'll run! It's also offline, which is a plus! :D