★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

ipod touch 5 is a bit overpriced

09-13-2012, 09:00 PM
ipod touch 5 is a bit overpriced

For the first time, iphone is not only has double RAM than same iteration ipod touch, but also has a CPU two generations ahead of ipod touch.
And there is no 8 and 16 GB version.
299 dollar for a 32 GB ipod touch 5 is not that expensive, but I think touch 5 can not reach best gaming performance within half a year or even two months.
the gap is two generation, it's too much.
the next IPAD probably has a same CPU as iphone 5, which make the iphone 5 is a worthy one.
the new ipad is basically another expensive one, the A5x only strong enough to support two times resolution other than 4 times. and it's a bit power hungry. and it's can't get best performance as soon as touch 5.
Anyway, i will still get touch 5, iphone is too expensive for me. if there is a 16 gb version touch 5, I would be really happy.

gameloft ID:zhclarensi. Common play nova 2 or MC 3.

Last edited by klarence; 09-14-2012 at 01:31 AM.
09-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarence View Post
For the first time, iphone is not only has double RAM than same iteration ipod touch, but also has a CPU too generations ahead of ipod touch.
And there is no 8 and 16 GB version.
299 dollar for a 32 GB ipod touch 5 is not that expensive, but I think touch 5 can not reach best gaming performance within half a year or even two months.
the gap is two generation, it's too much.
the next IPAD probably has a same CPU as iphone 5, which make the iphone 5 is a worthy one.
the new ipad is basically another expensive one, the A5x only strong enough to support two times resolution other than 4 times. and it's a bit power hungry. and it's can't get best performance as soon as touch 5.
Anyway, i will still get touch 5, iphone is too expensive for me. if there is a 16 gb version touch 5, I would be really happy.
Yeah, I agree, I would much rather have a 7 inch tablet over the touch anyday of the week. I would have to think that a new mini ipad would doom the touch, but who knows.

09-14-2012, 11:13 AM
The price point on the new touch is very much "par for the course" with apple pricing. I don't mind the dropping of smaller storage capacity units.
That said, if it doesn't double the ram from the 4th gen then it's a pointless upgrade.
09-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarence View Post
if there is a 16 gb version touch 5, I would be really happy.
I'm the opposite, i wish there was a 128 gb ipod touch ! 64 gig a few years back was huge for ipod's, now with a lot of the big name games needing 1.6 gig or so i'm starting to run out of room what with books/movies/apps etc. The funny thing is the memory is the 'cheap' part to add, dont know why they didnt give us more memory

I know the ipod touch 5th gen isnt as quick as the latest iphone but the vast majority still have a 4th gen device so i cant see you missing out on many games if you get this new ipod touch.

I'm tempted but i want to wait to see what the ipad mini is like and how much room it has on it. I know its hording but i just love having the ability to add countless books/graphic novels/music/films and lots of apps.
09-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah..I'm trying to resist upgrading from 4th gen ipod touch. I'm hoping since Apple's still going to sell the 4th gen that the latest iOS update won't slow it down too much...

Too bad the 32 gig ipod touch and iphone 5 is the same price making it tempting to just get the iphone 5 despite not wanting to pay for a the data plan. The faster A5 and the 5 MP camera is a pretty great upgrade to the ipod touch. But paying $300 for it is a little hard for me to swallow...

But my wife's is going to get the iPhone 5..so I'm kind of tempted to get one too..and finally have my first smart phone. =P

As an aside about the ipad mini... And since I have the ipad 3 already, I'm not interested in the ipad mini. But if I didn't have the ipad 3..I'd be more interested if it had retina display. But sound like with a lot of Apple products, sound like its better to skip the first generation of their new products.

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?
09-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I'm the opposite, i wish there was a 128 gb ipod touch ! 64 gig a few years back was huge for ipod's, now with a lot of the big name games needing 1.6 gig or so i'm starting to run out of room what with books/movies/apps etc. The funny thing is the memory is the 'cheap' part to add, dont know why they didnt give us more memory

I know the ipod touch 5th gen isnt as quick as the latest iphone but the vast majority still have a 4th gen device so i cant see you missing out on many games if you get this new ipod touch.

I'm tempted but i want to wait to see what the ipad mini is like and how much room it has on it. I know its hording but i just love having the ability to add countless books/graphic novels/music/films and lots of apps.
I'm with you! I've been ranting on this subject for the longest time!!! To me, it's not acceptable to not up the memory to 128 GB for the reasons you stated, and I'm tired of the same old issues lots of new games have running on it as well as the ol' delete-to-get routine. So, I just got me a brand new ipad 3 and no more problems! I'm loving it! And I'm an old guy and can see the screen better and the battery life just BLOWS on the little guy! Gonna get an icade soon, looking forward to that too! I've happily washed my hands of the ipod touch!! The ipad mini will never compete because the hardware on that is meant to compete with the kindles and other cheaper tablets. The ipad 3 is king for now! Also, a plus for me is I got a little nano for all my music now, which right away freed up 17 more GB I'd have put on the ipad, so I'm loving that!
09-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I must have missed all the outrage about how the iPhone 4S was worthless and underpowered as a gaming device; assuming the 5th-gen iPod Touch has 512MB of RAM, it will for all intents and purposes be an iPhone 4S with an iPhone 5 screen (sans the actual phone component, naturally).

I don't think it'll have issues running games released over the course of the next year. :P
09-14-2012, 06:09 PM
You serious? I bought an iPod 2 8gb for $325!

iPad 3 iOS 6.1 32GB
iPod 5 iOS 6.1 32GB
09-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
I must have missed all the outrage about how the iPhone 4S was worthless and underpowered as a gaming device; assuming the 5th-gen iPod Touch has 512MB of RAM, it will for all intents and purposes be an iPhone 4S with an iPhone 5 screen (sans the actual phone component, naturally).

I don't think it'll have issues running games released over the course of the next year. :P
The 4s will still have superior performance, as it will be pushing significantly fewer pixels than the itouch 5.
09-14-2012, 06:29 PM
No apple made the right move. This ipod was probably planned to launch last year but because of the a5 chip shortage they probably figured they better wait. If these were packing a6 chips the the iphone wait would be much longer then the 2-3 weeks it is right now.

Add Me on Gamecenter/Steam: Fireball926