ipod touch 5 is a bit overpriced

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by klarence, Sep 14, 2012.

1. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #1 klarence, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    For the first time, iphone is not only has double RAM than same iteration ipod touch, but also has a CPU two generations ahead of ipod touch.
    And there is no 8 and 16 GB version.
    299 dollar for a 32 GB ipod touch 5 is not that expensive, but I think touch 5 can not reach best gaming performance within half a year or even two months.
    the gap is two generation, it's too much.
    the next IPAD probably has a same CPU as iphone 5, which make the iphone 5 is a worthy one.
    the new ipad is basically another expensive one, the A5x only strong enough to support two times resolution other than 4 times. and it's a bit power hungry. and it's can't get best performance as soon as touch 5.
    Anyway, i will still get touch 5, iphone is too expensive for me. if there is a 16 gb version touch 5, I would be really happy.

2. Yeah, I agree, I would much rather have a 7 inch tablet over the touch anyday of the week. I would have to think that a new mini ipad would doom the touch, but who knows.

3. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    The price point on the new touch is very much "par for the course" with apple pricing. I don't mind the dropping of smaller storage capacity units.
    That said, if it doesn't double the ram from the 4th gen then it's a pointless upgrade.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm the opposite, i wish there was a 128 gb ipod touch ! 64 gig a few years back was huge for ipod's, now with a lot of the big name games needing 1.6 gig or so i'm starting to run out of room what with books/movies/apps etc. The funny thing is the memory is the 'cheap' part to add, dont know why they didnt give us more memory

I know the ipod touch 5th gen isnt as quick as the latest iphone but the vast majority still have a 4th gen device so i cant see you missing out on many games if you get this new ipod touch.

I'm tempted but i want to wait to see what the ipad mini is like and how much room it has on it. I know its hording but i just love having the ability to add countless books/graphic novels/music/films and lots of apps.

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Yeah..I'm trying to resist upgrading from 4th gen ipod touch. I'm hoping since Apple's still going to sell the 4th gen that the latest iOS update won't slow it down too much...

Too bad the 32 gig ipod touch and iphone 5 is the same price making it tempting to just get the iphone 5 despite not wanting to pay for a the data plan. The faster A5 and the 5 MP camera is a pretty great upgrade to the ipod touch. But paying $300 for it is a little hard for me to swallow...

But my wife's is going to get the iPhone 5..so I'm kind of tempted to get one too..and finally have my first smart phone. =P

As an aside about the ipad mini... And since I have the ipad 3 already, I'm not interested in the ipad mini. But if I didn't have the ipad 3..I'd be more interested if it had retina display. But sound like with a lot of Apple products, sound like its better to skip the first generation of their new products.

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I'm with you! I've been ranting on this subject for the longest time!!! To me, it's not acceptable to not up the memory to 128 GB for the reasons you stated, and I'm tired of the same old issues lots of new games have running on it as well as the ol' delete-to-get routine. So, I just got me a brand new ipad 3 and no more problems! I'm loving it! And I'm an old guy and can see the screen better and the battery life just BLOWS on the little guy! Gonna get an icade soon, looking forward to that too! I've happily washed my hands of the ipod touch!! The ipad mini will never compete because the hardware on that is meant to compete with the kindles and other cheaper tablets. The ipad 3 is king for now! Also, a plus for me is I got a little nano for all my music now, which right away freed up 17 more GB I'd have put on the ipad, so I'm loving that!

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I must have missed all the outrage about how the iPhone 4S was worthless and underpowered as a gaming device; assuming the 5th-gen iPod Touch has 512MB of RAM, it will for all intents and purposes be an iPhone 4S with an iPhone 5 screen (sans the actual phone component, naturally).

I don't think it'll have issues running games released over the course of the next year. :p

8. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    You serious? I bought an iPod 2 8gb for $325!

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The 4s will still have superior performance, as it will be pushing significantly fewer pixels than the itouch 5.

10. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    No apple made the right move. This ipod was probably planned to launch last year but because of the a5 chip shortage they probably figured they better wait. If these were packing a6 chips the the iphone wait would be much longer then the 2-3 weeks it is right now.

11. bossepy

bossepy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I believe iPad 2 packed with the same A5 processor and RAM as iPhone 4S. Although it need to provide extra power for more pixels, iPad 2 is no way inferior when handling graphical intense games.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    No, but the 4s provides superior performance to the iPad 2 because it has to push less pixels.

13. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    All of Apple's products are overpriced.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA

The iPod touch is one, not two generations behind in its chipset. The a5x is an iPad exclusive and is a modified a5 chip with a significantly buffed GPU (which, for the record, doesn't suck up battery life but produces a massive amount of heat)

We don't know (and I personally doubt it) that the iPhone 5 has 1gb of RAM. No, it probably has 512, which is likely the same the new touch has.

The a6 is a marginal at best increase in performance, which is to be expected. The major leaps in specs are every other year. Think 3GS, 4S, etc. I still think the touch shouldn't recieved an a5x, but an a5 should be just fine for a year or so.

15. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I don't know the phone services eat up tons of ram and you can't unload them, with RAM being equal I would expect the Touch to be a bit faster even with the extra half inch of screen.

Then again I'm waiting to see what Ram the touch actually has, as Apple seem to gimp them on purpose, if it's 256mb even with the A5 it will probably be the worst apple device yet.

16. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I just wanna make sure that everyone of you realize that, while the iPhone 5 will be already out next Week, we will be still able to play the current and the upcoming Games on our current iDevice.

Specially the iPhone 4s is still a hell of an iDevice and there is absolutely no reason why someone should even think for an Moment if (s)he needs to switch from an iPhone 4s to an iPod Touch 5 or even an iPhone 5.

[​IMG]

Sure sooner or later current Owner of iPhone 3GS/iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4th/... might kinda hit an Wall where they won`t be able to play a few Games they would like to play but, as far as I know, the most will still load up on those iDevice too.

So if you are an iPhone 4s Owner or are planing to get one because you can`t afford/don`t want to pay it current Price for an iPhone 5 I`m really sure you won`t regret it.

I haven`t mentioned the iPod Touch 5 since, as we all know already that the iPod Touch had always some bad karma because of it`s crippled Ram in the past and therefor I`m currently still waiting for the final specs till I`ll be able to say if someone should get an iPod Touch or not.

17. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I'm sure we can all agree on that when we buy a new device we want it to last for as long as possible. As you said yourself, an a5 should be just fine for a year or so. That is exactly the problem. With an a6 it would be just fine for TWO years or so. Why should I support a company that sells me old hardware at a price for wich one could get new hardware?

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Oh, I agree. Apple needs to give the touch the latest and greatest hardware if they want to keep promoting it as a gaming device.

If the touch has recieved an a6 I would seriously consider buying it.

19. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    I already want the new iPod 32 gigs plus an A5 chip and highly probable RAM upgrades equals a pretty damn good deal for $299 whats the cost of the fourth gen iPod 32 gigs when it came out?

20. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I think the 4th gen. iPod Touch was $299 as well. I personally do not think that the 5th gen. iPod Touch is overpriced. IMO, I think it is a little underpriced, since I bought the 3rd gen. iPod Touch at $299 too.

The improvements from the iTouch 3rd gen. to the iTouch 5th gen. are enormous and it won't cost a penny more than my 3rd gen cost, so, I'm extremely happy about that.