Finn in 1989 Promo Code Contest

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by Deeper Games, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Deeper Games

Deeper Games Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Retro Rampage City is a popular one... i am going to have to replay it. The inspiration to make this game was very much rooted in my childhood, having my dog bear and I run down to the river and exploring.

2. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I like these kind of games but there's a big chance I might not understand some of the reference though.

3. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    Consider it classical training ;). I'll send you a code shortly

4. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    I'm from 1991., but I like games from that years. Metal gear was great one. Not sure it's from 80's, but it's close.
    Who from your relatives inspired you to make this game in a first place?

5. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017

Attached Files:

6. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Definitely RCR. Nostalgic for a decade I wasn't even born in.

Did any of your family become realised in the game?

7. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    Our son is as snarky as Finn! Lol

8. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I was born in 1980 and grew up with the videopac G7400 then I got an Amiga, the games that I loved the most were Turrican 2, Shadow of the beast and both Kick Off and Sensible Soccer. Later I switched to a macintosh and played Sim City a lot.
    If you ask me about books, I was too young so I was into European comics and manga like Tintin, Astérix, Captain Tsubasa, City hunter or Saint Seiya.
    Will you share some of your 80's memories with your kids?
    Personally I can't wait to get the new SuperNes compact with all those games included, I'll definitely play with my kids.

9. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I forgot to mention what recent games remind me the 80s, I'd say Tennis Champs, Active Soccer, Pixel Soccer and Super Cat Tales which is one of my very favourites!

10. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    I have to research a few of the books you mentioned... i need more summer reading :) One favorite memory in the 80's was saving up enough blue chip stamps from our local grocer, I could spend them on anything in their catalog... I got my NES that summer.

11. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    Got more promo codes!

The first round went quickly, yeah! Got more to hand out

12. revok

revok Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    UK
    I love the zx spectrum games especially skool daze, bak 2 skool and turbo esprit. Playing them reminds of growing up in 80s waiting for games to load or get the dreaded 4 Tape Loading error. What made your family become a game developer ans what games inspired you?

13. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    I suppose my equivalent is have to blow on the cartridges of the NES. :)

I pushed the family into it mostly, I've been working for AAA companies for years and am getting older... wanted to tell my own story. Games that inspire me... Sword &Sworcery , Journey are the first two that came to mind. Other than that, still playing on my NES.

14. Aurelien.L

Aurelien.L Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2014
    I think velour pants :)! And how hard is the making of a game with a family... ( I have two children and I don't have any time to do nothing :))

15. dancingcrane

dancingcrane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2016
    Just now found you! Love this type of interactive fiction game and the neat questions you want us to answer.
    Game: Cosmic Encounter West End Games edition came out thr same year our eldest was born, 1986. It was a very good year! We were also big Dragon's Lair, Tetris and Tempest fans.
    Book: Dean Koontz, Watchers. Recommended.
    My youngest (I have five) is a 17 yrold newbie game developer. He also creates music for his computer fan games. Does yours create music for other things? And can I get his discography?

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Just found out about this as well! Congrats on the launch, first of all :)

In regards to potential questions and answers:

* Add a comment to this post describing what recent game or book makes you feel nostalgic for the 1980s.

I haven't fully read the answers to the thread, but the one that has made me feel the most nostalgic for the 80s that I had recently read was "Ready Player One". I know, I'm late to the party.

If I don't count that, I have actually been going through Hardcore Gaming 101's "Data East Arcade Classics" book that I bought on a StoryBundle pack, and the amount of games there makes me quite nostalgic for the games back then - I was mostly a ZX Spectrum owner, but I read magazines from other systems as well as I couldn't have them...

I'll hopefully be building an arcade machine at home by end of year, which one day I'll hopefully be able to use to introduce my kids to classic videogames. :)

* Ask me anything about making a game with my family.

I'm surprised that you went for a text adventure as a genre. Did you son contribute to the story, and was that a genre that he thought would be fun to explore?

Having grown up with the Fighting Fantasy and Dungeons and Dragons paper-RPG books, I find this kind of game appealing, but I'm curious about their appeal to younger ones these days. Just curious :)

Thanks for sharing your experience - regardless of whether you still have promo codes or not - and congrats on the launch!

17. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    Dragon's Lair was at my local pizza place when I was younger... at the time it was like being in a movie. The Watchers... well i'm finishing up Firestarter and will do that one next!

Our son just had his iPad taken away... there goes his current music career. When he's able to not drop devices and earns screentime back, I'll consider uploading a few for him. But until he's 13 his early work will remain local.

18. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    If you're building an arcade machine, then we definitely have that in common. Except mine is virtual, and is the main UI for the follow up to Finn in 1989. Don't tell anyone.

Our son is contributing more to the next one... he actually is starting to write his own stuff too. He was more of a tester for me on his old iPad. It actually was very helpful since i had to get it running on lower end devices.

19. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    I remember those... along with french cuffing my jeans. It's hard to stick with making the same game for a year... but i've had a lot of motivation to get this story out of my head. I love making games so I am doing what I love. We have "self pie" nights which means we all do our own thing and don't bother each other. Each pie piece is tended to.. "us pie" or "work pie" sometimes gets in the way.

20. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hah :) Well, looking forward to that one then!

Thank you very much, and all the best with the launch!