iPhone Cover Orange (by FDG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Congrats! I really like this game!

2. Cowboy.Henk

Cowboy.Henk Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    #1462 Cowboy.Henk, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    Hi big K,

This is Cowboy Henk. I have been playing CO for a while now and with hard work I got to a decent score by now.

Then I see your awesome score. Just 2 below the perfect number. Tell me please. How on earth did you do that maestro? Did you turn off the rain?

3. dabigkahuna

dabigkahuna Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Oh, it isn't two off the perfect score. Those people 2 points above me are hackers and we have confirmed that to be the case.

There isn't a "perfect" score anyway - it varies by what device you use. And some differences are just weird. For example, on my iphone 4, I can only get 968 on level 351. But on an iphone 5, I can get 991. Makes no sense, but we've found such differences often involving various iphones and itouch devices. I'm pretty sure that all iphones of the same level can get the same scores though.

Most of the "tricks" can be found in this, admittedly very long, thread. But all the top players had to wade through it to sort of "earn" more individual help.

There are hints for specific levels as well as basic strategies. So, for now, I'll tell you some which you may already know, but then you have to do the hard work!

1. A key strategy on some levels is to actually balance something on top of an orange. It can be a pain - especially if you are trying to do it with more than one on the same level! I have spent many hours just tapping quickly and hoping to get lucky (need to be quick to maximize points).

2. Not only does it matter when something stops moving (though there are quirks where it makes no sense) it can also matter how soon you drop things. For example, suppose you are going to drop an object so that it blocks a rotating arm. You may have to wait for the arm to move far enough before you make the drop. However, you could drop it sooner if you released it from up higher. It makes the timing harder, but it can give you more points, especially if it is the last item.

3. Sometimes the movement of chains delays the cloud. I have occasionally been able to hit the chains to alter their pattern and got lucky with the cloud coming out sooner.

4. Okay, here's a big one and you'll see it referenced plenty of times in the thread. When you play a long time, eventually you'll see the game gets slower. When that happens, the amount of rain is reduced. That means fewer drops to bounce around and hit an orange. It's also a bit of a pain to get because if you completely quit the game (including the list of "active" apps on a device), it goes back to normal speed. Likewise if other apps take over the memory that CO was using, it will start at full speed too. And the newest devices are much harder to get to slow down too.

Start reading!

And you can see the top legit scores on each level at the link below. Though I don't think I've added in the latest levels yet. It is in two sections so be sure to scroll through it.

If you manage to beat any of those scores (especially the list which does NOT include the 3G phone), be sure to let us know. Giving good info to old players is a very good way to get more help yourself.

Rapcoon was the last one to do that. I was amazed at how many levels he found new solutions for after all the work I and others had put in. He passed the info along and I could then confirm they worked so he got more help.

What hardware are you using?

4. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    Thx big k. I do use an iPhone 4S. Good to know that iphone 5 helps to raise scores. I have used several techniques, but not slomo. So i guess that you guys are able to beat 991 with it?

5. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Oops, I didn't say that well. The iphone 5 does NOT make it possible to get more points. It just happens to do better on that level. ALL the different phones and iTouch versions have levels that are better than others or worse. From my experience, I think the more powerful the unit (thus faster), the more likely you will get FEWER points. So your 4S may not be able to get as many points as my 4. I haven't pushed my iphone 5 hard yet - not much reason to since I'm pretty sure it won't do better than my 4 and it is so hard to get some slo-mo on the 5.

I base these conclusions on the fact that my 3G gets more points than ctay's itouch (3rd generation, I think). And here itouch gets more points than my 4. Seems to fit a pattern. It isn't that this affects most levels. There are just some that just are wildly different and another handful where one may get a point more than someone elses.

The high scores on my list are just the first person to reach them that I know of. Plenty of others got the scores later in most cases.

It isn't that slo-mo lets you beat 991. It can certainly make it more likely you can reach the maximum for any given level on your device. In most cases, that is 991. That's the best the iphone 4 can do on any level and some levels I can't do it - some are far short (like 977 or even 968). On other devices, they may score better on some levels but terrible on another. Don't understand why.

If you want, I can provide a list of all the levels where the iphone 4 can't hit 991. That would let you see if you could find solutions that no one else has - and get your name on the chart!

6. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    That would be nice....

7. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Check your private messages.

8. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    #1468 ctay, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    Big K and Cowboy Henk
    Awesome guys, getting a dialogue going. Revive some interest in this forum.
    Good luck. And I see Rapcoon is catching up with me. What device does he play on?
    Ctay.

9. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    My rain is still on acid...

10. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I think he has an iphone 4 like me (well, I have a 3G and 5 too).

11. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    New update out. No new levels - just changes for the iphone 5's larger screen. Haven't checked much, but it basically seems to show a bigger picture area. That may mean you can adjust some strategies but I'm not sure if it will make any difference until I go through all the levels I haven't maxed out on yet.

Shouldn't make any difference at all on the other iphones, etc, but I'll probably mess around with my bad levels just in case I can get some scores to improve anyway. If the other active players here do the same, it shouldn't take much time to see if there is any difference in play - but we'll all have to get slo-mo all over again since the update process kills it.

12. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    That in itself is pretty awesome, considering the lengths FTG have gone with updating this app. They continue adding levels after all this time, for an app that has only ever been $1 and often free.

Cover Orange is why I buy anything they release on day one. They've published several other great apps too, like Mahjong Elements and Tentacle Wars.

13. PèreGoriot

PèreGoriot Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    How lame...

Previous version (v2.5) crashed under iOS3. And no fix for monthes.
    Now v2.5.1 is "iOS43+". So, we can't keep the previous version (it crashes) and we can't update to the latest one (it's not compatible anymore).
    So, we are screwed ! Thanks FDG. Keep the money.

Because we are minority, you can screw us. Fine philosophy.

14. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

Sorry but its not our fault that new Xcode doesn't support iOS3.
    We can't turn down modern devices and stay lost in the past because of that ..

15. PèreGoriot

PèreGoriot Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    - You knew v2.5 crashed with iOS3. Where's the fix ? You should have fixed it at once.
    - You can still use an older SDK. Apple doesn't block that.
    - You can still deal with older iDevices. Look at "Doodle Jump": they have done an arm6+arm7+arm7s executable, working from iPhone1/iOS3 to iPhone5/iOS6, without a problem. That's not that hard. You too should have tried.
    - Giving an "iOS43+ only" version is not the real problem. The real problem is that the previous version (v2.5) is screwed. You should have fixed this "iOS3 compatible" version first, so at least people can keep it forever and ignore the next updates. Now people have nothing: the old version crashes and the new version is incompatible. That sucks.

16. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

Hm...indeed. I'll forward this to the team.

17. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    Big k, did you already try that new Hawaiian hamburger joint? Was it any good?

18. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    You're angry because a .99 cent game doesn't work on your five and a half year old phone, and you're taking it out on FDG? If I send a dollar to your Paypal will you shut up and never come back?

19. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I think I've lost track of something here! What hamburger joint?

20. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Now FREE again. I can remember that I played it when it was free for the first time 2011 and that it was pretty fun. But:

Does anybody who has finished (or has almost finished) the game know something about the (later added)

Top In-App Purchases

pack of 5 helmets $0.99
    pack of 15 helmets $1.99
    unlimited helmets $4.99

I read the ten last pages or so in this thread but the IAPs aren't mentioned anywhere (and the tA search can't find "IAPs" in this thread). Is it because they are completely optional? Or are they needed to proceed? Is there a paywall? Is there much grinding if you don't pay? Can you restore purchases? TIA.