Apple will refund at least $32.5M inapp class action lawsuit

01-17-2014, 03:37 AM
$500 in chores? Wow, you are a good mom!

I like how you give them one app a month. Kids are lucky these days.

But one thing to note is that you are a very knowledgeable ios mom. Most moms probably don't even know what an inapp is.

Last edited by Connector; 01-17-2014 at 03:40 AM.
01-17-2014, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
$500 in chores? Wow, you are a good mom!

I like how you give them one app a month. Kids are lucky these days.

But one thing to note is that you are a very knowledgeable ios mom. Most moms probably don't even know what an inapp is.
I am knowledgeable but only because I made myself so, I knew we were gonna get my daughter in iPad last summer and I spent the month before that googling about the bad side. I'd heard horror stories on the news about kids spending money so wanted to be prepared. You are right about other mums, know any mums who use their tablets for stuff other than eBay and Facebook and stuff, and run to their husbands when they go wrong, it's sad really, they could easily sort stuff like that themselves. my friends thinks I am weird for playing games, it's for teenage boys in their eyes, if I say I've been up all night playing on xbox I get the funniest looks, I say bullshit, I'd rather escape in a good game than sit on my arse watching soaps, they feel sorry for my husband cos between myself and my daughter a console is always plugged up lol. I'm going off topic so I'll shut my cakehole now.

01-17-2014, 04:30 AM
Me too, I would much rather play videogames than watch soaps.

But, it is funny, after about college age, it seems almost a shame to admit that one likes to play. They always say they don't have time for that.
01-17-2014, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Me too, I would much rather play videogames than watch soaps.

But, it is funny, after about college age, it seems almost a shame to admit that one likes to play. They always say they don't have time for that.
Yeah and that's a very weak argument, I hear it regularly. It's almost like they try to make you feel bad for having the time to play. People make time for stuff they enjoy, you can bet people who pipe out with that line make sure they have time to go to the pub, or spend an hour on Facebook, or sit and watch soaps or whatever it is they like, I don't have time for that stuff because I choose to spend my free time doing summat I enjoy, which the majority of the time it's gaming, Gaming is as much a valid hobby as knitting, (which Im also awesome at btw lol) if people have a problem with how we spend outer time then it says more about them than it does us.
01-17-2014, 04:49 AM
You write you "heard horror stories on the news about kids spending money" and that's what made you took action. But that's exactly the problem: many of those horror stories are from people who never did hear those stories, never knew about the concept of consumable IAP and just assumed that a silly free game was a silly free game. They didn't give their children their creditcard info either, not even their password. They just downloaded a game for their kids themselves, and then Apple didn't ask for a password again when the kid (possibly a 4 year old) just tapped on every nice looking icon it saw and bought a $100 consumable IAP pack.
01-17-2014, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lena View Post
You write you "heard horror stories on the news about kids spending money" and that's what made you took action. But that's exactly the problem: many of those horror stories are from people who never did hear those stories, never knew about the concept of consumable IAP and just assumed that a silly free game was a silly free game. They didn't give their children their creditcard info either, not even their password. They just downloaded a game for their kids themselves, and then Apple didn't ask for a password again when the kid (possibly a 4 year old) just tapped on every nice looking icon it saw and bought a $100 consumable IAP pack.
I've no doubt that is what's happened in many cases, but if the parent checked the game for a few minutes (not necessarily for iap but to check the content) before handing over the device to a child then they would have seen about the iap, or even if they supervised the child for the first few mins, they would have seen the iap pop up themselves as even without having to put the password in you have to confirm to buy.

To much inappropriate content is aimed at kids, not just iap, not even just games, we can't just assume that because its focused in a kids product that the product is suitable for kids. We should be able to hand our children things and assume they will be safe but we can't, especially when handing over an internet connected device.
01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platyrrhine View Post
I'm fairly certain that the reason for this is that Apple didn't make parents aware that if they type in their password, the password screen will be bypassed for 15 minutes afterwards.
You can alter that setting as well...
01-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Or you can just log out from the Appstore before you give the device to your kid.
While I agree that Apple could take some measures to make it easier for us parents (e.g. by toggling if username/password are stored at all), I am firmly with cloudpuff: it is MY responsibility as parent, no way around it.

Yes, some things can be regulated, but ultimately it is up to me as parent.
Example: Imagine a supermarket that sells weapons and drugs, but it is prohibited by law to sell them to minors. Yes, the supermarket should obey the law; but let's just say they don't.
I have to take care that my child does not go there and buys a shotgun and crack.
Not school, not government, or whoever else people like to blame these days for their own failures as parents.

@cloudpuff: tons of respect from me! You are a great mom; and already brought up everything I thought about, and very well worded.