Game orientation?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Name That, May 30, 2012.

1. Name That

Name That Member

May 1, 2012
    Is it bad to create a game where the menu screen is horizontal but the rest of the game is vertical?

Do you think people will care?

I am creating a game and the menu screen looks awesome but it only looks good horizontal....

Thanks

2. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Yes - people will care.

I suggest you stick to one orientation, so users aren't forced to turn their devices.

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #3 Royce, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    It's one of the first things people would notice about your app, and personally I would think I had just made a poor purchase :p It gives a bad enough impression when gamecenter pops in sideways. Anything would be better, even keeping your landscape menu and having big black borders above and below so you can use it in portrait orientation.

4. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    I agree with the people above. Don't do that. Either support all directions all the time or stick to landscape or portrait.

5. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    There are infinite layouts for your user interface. If you haven't found a good portrait one yet then you haven't done enough concepts. Never force your player to switch orientation between game and menu.

6. Name That

Name That Member

May 1, 2012
    Is is bad....?

Is it bad if the menu screen to a game is horizontal and the actual game is vertical?

I a making a game and the menu screen is amazing but it only looks good horizontal and i would hate to change it, but the game can really only be played vertically.

What do you think?

Thanks

7. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    #7 Ovogame, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
    We think it is bad to post twice for the same subject :)

Anyway, off course it is a bad idea.

JC

8. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    From a design and player stand point it's insanity to do this and also a bit lazy not to redesign for correct game layout. Time to drop this subject and suck it up m8. Change the menu (as you've been told by loads before me) or as we say in Ireland "sh!t or get off the pot" :D

9. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

I believe no one will want to tilt the iPhone just to see clearly the menu without pissing off. You will have to redesign the menu I think. :rolleyes:

10. DrummerB

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Lol, you didn't like the responses in you other thread with the same question, so you decided to create a new one and hope for different opinions? :rolleyes:

11. Jontunn

Jontunn Active Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Game Designer
    Eugene, OR
    I'm going to echo what everyone is saying here, but also add something else: I don't like it when a game forces a "right side up" on me. Sometimes I'm playing with my charger plugged in and I want to play with it on my left, and it annoys me when I can't do that.

12. DrummerB

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    This. I don't get it how someone can decide to support only one landscape orientation :confused:

13. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #13 DemonJim, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    The fact that you have to ask the question at all suggests that you already know the answer...

I find when most people ask this sort of rhetorical question actually end up going the easy route and doing it anyway. They seem to just be seeking validation from ONE person to reply with, 'it doesn't matter' as a way of justifying it and ignoring all the 'no don't do it!' replies. They then later wonder why they're getting 1-star reviews. My advice - heed the advice given here.

14. Name That

Name That Member

May 1, 2012
    Thank you all. I will definitely NOT be using different orientations.