seems Doom waiters have gone silent...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by seantyas, May 27, 2009.

1. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Is this still coming?

2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

they are paitently waiting, not sure why others can't.

3. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    I hope so... I thought it would come out this month but maybe June?

4. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

not even done compiling the code yet, it will still be some time till we see it.

5. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
  6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks for the update. I think a lot of us are patiently (or not so!) waiting.
    :)

7. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
  8. Tetryl

Tetryl Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I thought it would be out sooner but I'm glad to hear some news on it.

9. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Yeah I'm just awaiting it's release. Hope Carmack takes as much time as needed. Wouldn't want a sloppy doom port now would we?

10. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I think this will ROCK to be honest; Carmack knows what he is doing. Wolf was merely a 'lets dip our toes in the water' approach, and I think his justifying to higher management that time spent on an iPhone title is worth it.

From what I read in his notes, it seems that it will include all factory Ultimate Doom and Doom II expansion pack levels, online multiplayer etc. He did some clever trickery with sync etc to get Wolf running silky, and it does; it loads instantly with a very high framerate.

In that article, Carmack spoke of Doom being 30 FPS minimum (good for any iPhone game really) but WITH the screen full of monsters. If a worst case scenario dips the frame rate to 30, I'll be exceptionally happy with this.

Modern 3D FPS games WASD&Mouse style don't translate well to the iPhone. Remember Doom has no up/down mouse look traditionally, and no jump, it was designed around arrow keys and a couple of buttons (shoot and open) you can get rid of open like in Wolf just by walking into a door/switch...

I think it will seriously kick ass, and I like that they've used a good synth to render the music to MP3. The music was always awesome though my synths, but most people heard it through an FM/ADLIB sound blaster, and the music sucked that way; it's actually a great score for this game genre; bands have covered this stuff.

11. GBX

GBX Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Are you kidding? Are you really implying that running and old game like doom at 30 fps is actually an impressive feat? Especially considering there are no major overhauls to the graphics or technology...

I for one am very underwhelmed at this long awaited title.

LOL @ "latencies just werent good enough" for online play.. Im not even going to bother with a response on that one.

12. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    lololol porting a game to the itouch is hard work actually. so getting doom to work at 30 fps is actually quite hard, u may not think so but go look at some of the code, doom is easily runnable yea, but optimizing it is the hard part, especially since the itouch has only 40 mb of free ram it can use. and it has to run on the iphone with less, without jerkyness or anything like that. i for one am also happy he isnt allowing 3g for the online gaming, 3g for the internet is cool, but 3g cant connect to more than 1 source without lag.