Are you looking big name productions or more indies games in 2011

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by maxxx, Dec 26, 2010.

1. maxxx

maxxx Active Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Its seems big name game companies have stepped into the marketplace and really looking to take control. While I like the quality they bring , I always look forward to the indie games. I like new inventive games. Yes some indie put out crap , but sometimes they create really inventive fun game. I hope the indies arent muscled out by the big boys.

2. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I'm looking for anything good. Don't care who makes it, just gotta be good.

3. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Put it this way. I don't do casual games. Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja. Not gonna happen. Haven't played them. Won't ever play them. But that's just me.

4. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I'm interested in how much the big names will put out, but I always look forward to the indie games, which tend to be more fun, from my experience.

I'm sure gameloft will continue their trend of nothing original.
    EA had some good 2010 releases, so I'll keep an eye on them.

Specifically, Real Racing 2 HD, Aralon updates, Dead Space, and a few others I'm waiting for.

2010 broke the ground for serious gaming, hopefully 2011 will be a great year for iOS gamers.

5. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    I wish they would just port their best games rather than trying to make brand new ames in the same time frame. Id raher have berethsa port morrowind than make a lame portable elder scrolls like for ngage for example or have shadow complex than infinity blade.

6. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Some indies are getting crushed that's for sure - especially those of us with more hardcore games. Take my game Silverfish - it earned 8.5/10 + Editors Choice from IGN and 5/5 from GamePro/PCWorld (who also named it one of the best 36 iPhone games). It was doing OK based on those and other great reviews when first released in early November but as soon as the Black Friday sales started it was doomed - December flattened it completely.

I can't completely blame the big publishers for my woes but people looking at these games from a "value" proposition will always choose cheap big-publisher games over unknown indies. So ya, there's a lot of muscling around going on right now, and there will be casualties.

7. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    #7 Wediafom24, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    Yes, anything with great graphics and gameplay and also made with big budget. Dead Space 2 is one of the game I am anticipating. I would love to see Gears of War or Resistance be ported! It doesnt have to be copy cut but just like shadow of guardian for Uncharted 2. Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy (reloaded) overwriting the current version would also be nice!

8. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    the market is becoming more and more organized. people who just wants quick money won't survive long here. however, i absolutely trust that there will be place for indie developers who are innovative, because i am among them~~~

9. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    On this platform, I prefer indie games. Simple reason: they're games are generally more fun.

10. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    This year I'm just intending to be a lot more picky and stop picking things up at launch if something is good enough I'll buy it after a week or so whether it's Indie or a big company.

Two reasons for this one is company's pulling price drops immediately after like EA just did with mortal kombat and the second is some games are so hyped up everyone buys them at launch (me included) then we all realise they aren't that great.

I'll probably still pick up a lot though from both.

11. Dusse

Dusse Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    The good games from the big publishers is few and far between (they're there though, with Sim City, The Settlers, Mirror's Edge, Reckless Racing (that had an indie developer though) GTA: China Town etc) with loads and loads of shitty attempts to shoehorn console games to iOS with shitty virtual d-pad controls.

Unless the big names really step it up (Theme Hospital, please EA) I'm likely to pick up more indie titles this year too.

12. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm looking for indie games but I will be pleased to play big productions too.
    Problems with big productions is the multi-platform thing. It's the same game for many devices, so I'm not sure the gameplay is really interesting for a touch device. Indie devs think their games for iOS and it's the only way to create innovative games.

13. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Its not just the shitty controls, even games that arent platformers or use dpads suck likelook at capcoms undead ( that new zombie game) or bad company. Outside gameloft and ea racing games what have the big dogs really showcased? Just because the games are xheap doesnt mean ios gamers arent picky or demanding and want the same quality they expect from a psp or ds title. Stuff like fifa 11 for instance. More of that please...

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I think I will be looking foward to what the indies have in store for 2011. I'm kinda getting sick of playing Gameloft games. They sorta feel like I'm playing the same game over and over. EA just sucks in general. So yeah, looking foward to indies.:)

15. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    As already answered it's not indie or not indie. But I bet that those who expect the App Store be a bit similar the next three month than what have been December or even November/December, will have a cruel disappointment.

16. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

If that does good for them, there's no reason why they shouldn't stop. Clearly millions of others like their style.

However, I still think indie developers will create the most successful games whilst the big guys also explode on the iPhone.

17. maxxx

maxxx Active Member

Dec 23, 2010
    console like

For the prices we pay 99 -5.99 I dont think we will get console game soon. Thats why I love indie games that have imagination and soul. Games that if there was no iphone/ipod wouldnt exsist.

18. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    i much prefer indie games to most of the regurgitated sapce-hogs that EA and gameloft put out. if some more big name developers want to jump on board, i'll definitely check them out...but i've never had any interest in the giant gameloft clones that all play the same and EA can't seem to do anything right...at least with regards to my tastes.

9 out of my favorite 10 games on my device are made by indie developers (the exception being IB) and i don't see that trend slowing down at all. innovative design and gameplay mechanics trump graphics for me every time and i am excited to see what's in store for us in the coming year.

19. Indie or big name, it doesn't matter to me as long as it's good. Indies -- at least the ones who know their craft and have imagination -- tend to spend more time on polish and community interaction because they know what they're competing against, but are also perfectionists, and because they're indie they aren't working against corporate deadlines, so they can take the time to do a proper job. Big name companies usually have deadlines and budgets, both of which are usually quite conservative, and that often translates to a lack of polish or other issues that couldn't be addressed within the time/budget they had to work with, though they often get resolved with time. (Big companies have long been releasing games before development is truly complete because it starts revenue flowing so they can continue to develop and issue patches/upgrades as they go. I hate this, but it's been the state of the industry since the Internet made such a model feasible.)

In the end I always root for the indies and look forward to what they good ones offer next, but I also like big name titles -- I just tend not to expect originality or polish from them.

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just no more casual games please..indie games like space miner, GOF2, archetype, Aralon, Rimelands, etc are brilliant. Otherwise..