Support our Sponsors:

Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Banned
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
That is the spirit!

Avoid the constant flamewars about in-apps and flappy clones. Avoid freemiums and bait and switches.

There is so much better in life than worrying about junk and arguing about it.

It is up to us, as consumers, to change the market.

Sure, our voices are small, but we can make a difference by spreading the word on good games, and use our wallets to determine what we want.

I am optimistic, that we can make a difference.
THAT IS THE SPIRIT I wish I could, I am too emotional involved already to do so but its inspiring.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

This recent article succinctly articulates the concern I have when I see IAP in a game
http://www.pockettactics.com/news/io...trust-edition/

Quote:
When I found myself defeated by a tricky level in Castle Doombad, the signal was more complicated. The game was telling me that my strategy wasnít up to snuff, but it was also offering me a quick fix for that, if only Iíd pony up another few dollars. Was I actually failing this level because I needed to rethink my plan for it? Or was the levelís difficulty artificially inflated to induce me to buy something? My trust in Castle Doombad broke down the first time it had me walk through its in-app store.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

That is why I just play awesome premium games (or close to it) on ios lately.

Just recently, so many awesome games.

Unpossible
Leo's Fortune
Botanicula
Uncanny Xmen
Biosis
Monument Valley
Blek
Kiwanuka
SXPD
OTTTD
Globosome
Intake
Hyper Square
Suited Up
Table Tennis Touch
Axl & Tuna
Wayward Souls
Rolling Zimro
Last Inua
Flutter
David
AngerForce
Third Eye Crime
Dextris
Plax
Bezircle
Superfrog HD
Hazumino
Lethal Lance
2 Bit Cowboy
Aliens Drive Me Crazy
Darking
Adventures of Fate
Small Chronicles
1-path
Elarooh
Kosmik Revenge

Awesome games. All recent games that make me happy.

So who needs freemium garbage or flappy bird clones. Maybe almost everyone in the world loves them, but I sure don't.

Last edited by Connector; 05-26-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Addicted to the recent release 99 Bricks. I think the developers should be commended for switching from F2P to premium.

From the Upcoming thread:
Quote:
The game was soft launched in the Netherlands as a F2P game. It got a very high number of downloads and amazing critical acclaim. However, financially the results were disappointing. We concluded F2P didnít fit our game design and rather than pushing F2P any further, we chose to go premium without any IAP.

This felt like a weight being lifted off our shoulders. It was more about game design again: how to make the game as fun as possible, instead of looking at how to optimize for monetization.

After some radical changes to the structure of the game, to better fit the premium model, weíre finally ready to show it to you.
Now that I'm totally addicted to this game, I'm so happy they went this route and I don't have to be interrupted by ads or timers or whatever other freemium elements were in the game. I've played for over three hours and for me, to play that much of a single IOS game in one day when I have new games in my Steam backlog, is rare. I think that's a testament to how they shifted gears to polish the gameplay over monetization
Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Kudos to the devs of 99 Bricks. They should be commended for taking a stand against inapps.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

A great article found by Funem over in the Sky Force IAP thread:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LukeS..._Is_No_Try.php

Written by the developer behind Radiangames on his experience making Bombcats
Quote:
The Free-To-Play Corruption

Free-To-Play corrupts the design and enjoyment of your game, it corrupts your soul as a designer, and it takes away time and effort from other things that would make the game better. Here's a breakdown of those elements:

1) Time. I spent about a month's worth of time (if not more) working on making Bombcats into a Free-To-Play game. That includes adding a more complicated UI, balancing the game to encourage spending, and hooking up all the in-app purchases. I could have made an entire small game (like CRUSH, Slydris, or Fireball) in that time.

2) Game Enjoyment. Once I started playing Bombcats with the no-IAP balance, it was SO much more fun. As a player, you're thinking about what to spend your gems on, instead of whether you want to spend money. You have so many more balanced, meaningful choices instead of either a strong imbalance begging you to spend money, or an excess of bought gems that give you too much power.

3) Work Enjoyment. As a designer on a paid game, you're thinking about how to increase the player's enjoyment of the game, not how to get more money out of them.

If you're considering making your game F2P, make sure you ask yourself whether it's really worth it. There's a chance you'll make more money with a F2P game, but if the game's design doesn't lend itself to F2P, and there aren't other similar successful F2P games, those chances are very small.