iPhone Dungeon Myths - 3D 1st person dungeon crawler/RPG in the spirit of Lands of Lore

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by FancyFactory, Feb 24, 2013.

1. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    #1 FancyFactory, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    Hi everybody,

welcome to Fancy Factory's upcoming dungeon crawler: Dungeon Myths - The Sewers of Stonehaven

Dungeon Myths is an 1'st person dungeon adventure with a lot of RPG elements, classic oldschool gameplay and last generation graphics. The game is less about statistics and numbers and more about exploring, slaying monsters, casting spells and following the comprehensive storyline. There will be NO auto-map and YES, this is actually a feature. ;)
    Have you ever played Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, Might and Magic, Wizardy or - most recent - The Legend of Grimrock? Then you already have an idea about the game mechanics. You move your party step-by-step within a grid-based, gorgeous looking 3D environment, solving puzzles and fighting monsters. Latest generation graphics with quite different dungeon environments, dangerous creatures and an unique story hopefully will keep you entertained.

This game is developed for iOS and Android based latest generation tablets. So that means, in case you own an iPad 2, iPad Mini or a similar powerful Android tablet, you'll get the best visual experience possible on your tablet.

Please enjoy the following images:

(please click an image for a larger preview)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. As long as it's not about a release date of the game. ;)
    The game is still early in development, so a release in 2013 is very unlikely.

I will keep you posted here about the progress. Furthermore please visit Fancy Factory's Facebook home for latest updates.

Regards, Axel

2. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #2 Aventador, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    My first thought was LoL ( Lands of Lore series remastered ).Already looks like a very promising and polished game ( screenshots are beautiful ) , I will keep my eye on it;)

3. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    Well, the main source of inspiration are in fact old Westwood games like Lands of Lore and Eye of the Beholder. Dungeon Myths is for sure a project of love of mine and I really love EoB and LoL. :)
    So similarities in look'n'feel are somewhat intentional. However, Dungeon Myths will be a very unique game on its own and is optimized for tablet usage and touch controls.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #4 undeadcow, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    What development considerations would limit a iPhone/iPod/Universal build? Smartphones make up a majority of the prospective market for games like this; cutting them out could be a financial/marketing disadvantage.

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No iPad Mini support?

6. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Instabuy. IF it runs on hardware I have. :(

7. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    As the current iPad Mini is based on iPad 2's hardware it is unlikely. But the game will run on upcoming models - with hardware based on the current iPad or better.
    All the eye candy needs at least an iPad 3 for getting the full experience. I could scale down the geometry details and shader magic to support older hardware, but I don't want to do so. ;) There would be too many restrictions.

Regards, Axel

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I eagerly await owning hardware that will run this game! :eek:

9. First of all gorgeous game. I'll definitely keep a close eye on it's development being an addict of the genre.

If you want this to sell well you must at the minimum support iPad 2s and minis. As I write this iPad 2s and Minis are still being sold so they're not legacy hardwares by any means. These customers will not change their device in the next year. I'd even take a guess that they are together probably outselling the full priced iPad: just in my immediate surrounding the last 4 iPads that were recently purchased by relatives and friends were all Minis and 2s.

Also look into having it universal. iPads are only a small fraction of the pie, 1 tablet sold for every 3 phones/iPod Touches in the last Quarter (and it was a record one for iPads in which Mini sales cannibalized iPod Touch sales). I'd build the game from grounds up to run on a iPhone5/iPod Touch 5 widescreen if your release is far away. I believe it's much easier to scale up then scale down so if you're early in development do the switch right away. You'll also grab Android Phones sales to boot with.

Good luck with your game!

10. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    #10 FancyFactory, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    Hey DungeonPlunder,

thanks a lot for sharing your opinion with us. I fully understand this and, marketing - and money wise, you are all right. But...and this may sound silly or crazy now...I'm doing this project only secondly for the money. I have a strong vision about the fact how the game should look like. And I don't want to make compromises in regards to the visuals. My artists all have the instruction to make the 3D part as good possible, as long as an iPad 4 can handle it. If we focus from the very first day on specific hardware we can produce the best result possible. And it's less work testing the game only on this specific hardware.

Furthermore please remember the game is in an early development stage. Lets say it will be published next year, and given Apples speed in upgrading its devices, even an iPad 4 will be most likely "old school" then. :)

With regards to the iPhone: in fact the game IS being developed for iPhone 5 and better. And it runs quite nicely on this device. But I'm not happy with the usability. Given the current GUI and it's tiny buttons there it's no fun to play. The best way would be to change the 3D window to a fullscreen window and to develop a fitting GUI for small devices. This will be an expensive task booth in time and money - and it will destroy my "vision" how the game should look like. I dont want to have a fullscreen 3D window. I want to have the game - visually - as close as possible to it's predecessors and role models. I guess I'm a real stubborn head on that. ;)
    Well, thats not the final word on that.

Regards, Axel

11. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Looks great but I have an ipad2, I guess my birthday present is obsolete now, that sucks as I have no chance of getting an upgrade. :(

12. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    Oh, I'm sorry for you. But don't lose hope. As written, the final word regarding the supported platforms is not yet spoken. In fact I've not yet tested the game on an iPad 2 or Ipad Mini as I do not own these devices. So there is always a "maybe" and "never say never" left. :)

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #13 undeadcow, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    Has Fancy Factory Games developed products before Dungeon Myth? The product appears to be promising but it's not clear the developer understands the App Store economy and envisions things with such narrow precision to exclude most of the potential target audience.
    That remains to be seen; even the current graphics displayed, rich as they look, don't seem like such intense powerhouse material they would need to depend on such hypothetical futuristic iDevices. Infinity Blade is graphically stunning and runs on 3GS so hypothetically there developer/engine tricks to increase anticipated device optimizations.
    Speaking of predecessors and role models; Dungeon Myths looks promising but it's apparent mechanics hardly seems revolutionary by iOS standards. Games like The Quest, QuestLord, SilverSword, Descend RPG, Doom II RPG, etc are examples of other similar style products that show good UI and compatibility with iPhone/iPod small screens.
    Eventually your iPad 2 will be obselete but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon; this developer's parameters are unusually limited and not representative of my perception of App Store availability.

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    While personally having an iPad 2 and unable to play Dungeon Myths, I feel that it is actually a positive move for iDevice gaming when developers push the envelope and use them to the max.

Otherwise the App Store will be filled with just endless match 3 and endless runner clones that the original iPhone can support...

15. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    I mostly agree with iPadisGreat. The power of an iPad 3+ may seem wasted on a "simple" game like Dungeon Myths, but as much as I love "oldschool" (and the games mentioned by undeadcow) as much do I love modern titles with top notch 3d graphics. So why not combine booth and push it to the limits?
    As written before Dungeon Myths is a personal project of love. I started this project because I - for myself - want to play a game like this on my iPad 4. With all the eye candy this device is capable if. There are plenty of similar games for older devices and even the iPhone. I see no reason to compete with them. So I better focus on the game itself and make it as good as possible but for a limited amount of platforms (iPad3 & 4). And that's actual a lot of fun because of the power of these devices and no need to scale down the visuals. :)
    And no, that's by far not my first game. But its the first game I'm doing mostly for myself and the fun itself and less for the money. But that does not mean I don't want this game to become a success of course. And if it sells in the end and some of you have fun with it this will be a perfect win-win situation. And if not, at least someone had fun with it: me :D

16. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Looks like an interesting project,if it is going to take a long time to complete please keep us updated along the way.

17. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    I will, promised. :) It's also a motivation for myself, beside the development work, to chat a little bit about the project from time to time in this thread.

18. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    I like your way of thinking and really hope game succeeds once it's out.Promoting it here and on social networks is definitely a good start to build up hype ,from your side .

19. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    #19 FancyFactory, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    This is the epic main theme from the Dungeon Myths soundtrack. Close your eyes, listen to the music and travel to Stonehaven. The place where the adventure begins... :)

20. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Lovely music.I can still hum the opening theme to Eye of the Beholder 1 played on the amiga which was a great favourite of mine.