Chill Pill for First World Problems [free]

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NYRUA Applications Pty Lt, Jan 22, 2014.

1. NYRUA Applications Pty Lt

Jan 21, 2014
    Having a First World Problem? Well take a Chill Pill...

"Chill Pill for First World Problems" is an app that I developed as a social experiment. Inspired by a day at work when all our coffee beans ran out across the office. To my surprise all day I over heard people complaining that their was no coffee beans even though we had enough instant coffee for everyone. I was thinking that these people just need to take a chill pill for this first world problem. The "Chill Pill" is a virtual image with a statistic about global poverty. Their are 100 different "Chill Pills" that are randomly selected.

The app is intended to give perspective to our first world problems and show our first world problems are irrelevant when it comes to the big picture of the world.

Please check out our Facebook page with all the "virtual" chill pills
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chill-Pill-for-First-World-Problems/253210288161775

iTunes
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chill-pill-for-first-world/id798663351?ls=1&mt=8

Attached Files:

2. bhornburg

bhornburg Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Instant coffee? You must be joking...

3. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Whoa someone sounds like they need a chill pill Mr grumpypants.

Any IAP in this or can I unlock all the first world problems if i grind it out?

4. NYRUA Applications Pty Lt

Jan 21, 2014
    Its completely free!!! No in-app purchases at all. I had a couple of weeks free before Christmas got a little bored this is what I came up with.

Yeah I agree instant coffee is nothing compared to well made coffee from fresh coffee beans but thats where the inspiration came from.

5. NYRUA Applications Pty Lt

Jan 21, 2014
    Also am very new to TouchArcade and after posting this I just realised that its only for games. This is not really a game so I think maybe someone should delete it. It seems I can't myself which is a little weird.

6. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Toucharcade is more than just games, though not the games forum admittedly. :)

7. NYRUA Applications Pty Lt

Jan 21, 2014
    Thanks Xexist for moving it!!! I am discovering that Touch Arcade is more than just a games forum.

8. AppsVerdict

AppsVerdict Well-Known Member

so... I'm supposed to feel better when facing a problem by reading about how many people are starving to death in Africa?

Don't mean to sound negative, I'm certainly not offended by this app in any way, but that's the first question that comes to mind when I see something like this.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i find it a bit strange. So i'm having a bad day, i then 'take a chill pill' and look at this app, see a picture of some starving african children and then think 'nah it could be worse....' and have a smile on my face as i go back to work as things arent that bad for me ?

Seems pretty wrong really, bit like 'ha ha look at them, i've got it quite good.....' type of thing.

I 'kinda' get what he means by 'The app is intended to give perspective to our first world problems and show our first world problems are irrelevant when it comes to the big picture of the world.' but on the other hand the second hes got no money to pay the rent or someone damages his car i doubt he'll think 'well it could be worse, i'll take a chill pill !....' and be fine about it !

Of course our problems are irrelevant when its compared to some poor starving child in another country. But i dont know, just find this quite uneasy

10. AppsVerdict

AppsVerdict Well-Known Member

I agree all the way.

I don't think it's bad to have an app that gives people this type of info, but... in a different context?

11. NYRUA Applications Pty Lt

Jan 21, 2014
    Its suppose to be a "chill pill" for your first world problems. Not being able to pay your rent or having your car damage is not a first world problem its an actually problem. See some examples of first world problems below.

• It's boiling hot outside but freezing in the air-conditioned office
    • My personal trainer took the week off so I have to workout alone
    • My wallet won't close because there's too much money in it
    • I bought a dishwasher and now spend longer packing and unpacking it than I did washing up
    • My Brie is too hard
    • No semi-skimmed milk in the supermarket, just full fat

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/first-world-problems-top-50-2212642#.Uu0eI3eSw3M

But saying that charities run ads all the time with horrific images targeting donations from us. I did want to partner with a charity but their was too much red tape. So instead I have a donate message within the app itself.