Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLYGAMe View Post
No, I use Unity. They couldn't take my code. Just totally copied the game. Still illegal, as it's plagiarism. It's theft of intellectual property.

The template has been modified slightly since but this version of the game runs off the older one...

Even down to the graphics, total ripoff (the GS template even had the exact same web in the background but was taken out). Super Hexagon is a completely different game. Sure, both are avoid em ups but the play mechanics are totally different, as are the visuals etc. I guess there will always be comparisons due to the genre but codestorm is actually closer to Flappy Bird than Super Hexagon, play-wise.

I have no problems with borrowing elements, paying homage, making similar game styles but Deep Vortex was an absolute ripoff, just look at the videos.

To be fair, the "dev" of this game probably bought the template unaware that it was a ripoff. But even with different controls (this game plays more like Hexagon), Google investigated and deemed it to be in breach of my copyright and removed it from Google Play. Unfortunately, because it is a template, any idiot can release the same game, so I'm constantly having to chase them up.

Three of these have been released recently!

It's hardly clever, buying a template, releasing it for sale and claiming it as your own... just look at the title of this thread...
First off.... The game has different gameplay and look of code storm. Second, I don't see how u feel the need to come in and express this when it doesn't even effect you. It relates more to super hexagon than code storm. I don't see Dong Nygeon going in and complaining about every flappy bird rip off? Just keep doing what you do, making games, and stop worrying about other people. I enjoy the game, same as I do codestorm. Stop your senseless whining.

There Is no wrong in improving on another persons formula, which is what this guy did with this. He probably wasn't even basing it off codestorm. I enjoy this better than codestorm, especially after that stupid rant

Last edited by darnoc703; 04-11-2014 at 07:59 PM..
Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

The thing I don't quite get is why people get so heated over Super Hexagon like games, when there are maybe 10,000 clones of Flappy bird. Seems to me that as long as it is not a direct copy, then it should be game.

If it is a direct copy, then the word clone can be used in a derogatory manner, like there are some Flappy Birds games which i would say are true clones, almost exact in every manner.

But being similar, I dunno, guess Apple can decide cause it is their store.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
The thing I don't quite get is why people get so heated over Super Hexagon like games, when there are maybe 10,000 clones of Flappy bird. Seems to me that as long as it is not a direct copy, then it should be game.

If it is a direct copy, then the word clone can be used in a derogatory manner, like there are some Flappy Birds games which i would say are true clones, almost exact in every manner.

But being similar, I dunno, guess Apple can decide cause it is their store.
Agreed!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:00 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Hey polygame I hadn't actually seen your app until now. Wow Deep Vortex is very close to the original you're right. Don't be confused by the title of the post as me going hey look every body I designed and made and came up with the concept for this, I think this is some sort of automated thing that gets the app details from the app store.

I just want to put a few things straight though. Indeed I did purchase this template from deep blue apps when it was released. I spent about 2 days changing it from a seizure inducing thing into Super Vortex. I had a couple of days to myself one weekend and just did it for fun (which is what making games should be). However during device testing found it to run like complete crap on iphone 4. I then spent another 2 days tearing the code apart to optimise it. You can see a before and after here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gg7wR2M38

I then published it. I am a freelance Corona developer by trade so I just wanted to stick it in my portfolio really. In all honesty I thought it would be lost in the void of the app store and would not be downloaded by anybody. I didn't even plug the iOS version on my facebook page, so basically nobody except for me knew about it!

However purely by chance I noticed it had appeared on the Touch Arcade forums and some of the guys on here liked it. It's great when this sort of thing happens as you can hear what people think about a game and develop it further based on their feedback which I have also done.

Super Vortex isn't going to make me some sort of overnight millionaire like Flappy Bird would have done, so don't let that fuel your rage, it only gets about a meagre 3-400 downloads per day. Unfortunately I feel your beef is with deep blue apps not myself. I mean they must have sold a fair few copies of this now. I saw somebody had just published the template as it was without changing anything, not even the name if I remember right. Lets face it though, crappy as this is probably 90% of the games in the app store are clones/copies/variations of other popular games.

So I'm sure this hasn't really helped your rage but I just wanted you to hear my side of things as I am sure it is similar to many others who have used the template have done.

Last edited by trilby; 04-12-2014 at 03:07 AM..
Old 04-12-2014, 03:15 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I personally think if all three of your games codestorm, super vortex, and deep vortex had an option for regular super hexagon like controls, you all would be alot more successful.

Build off a good control set, all three of your games just don't control right, anyway, just my humble opinion.

Now continue on in your super hexagon flamewar...
Old 04-12-2014, 06:51 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
I personally think if all three of your games codestorm, super vortex, and deep vortex had an option for regular super hexagon like controls, you all would be alot more successful.

Build off a good control set, all three of your games just don't control right, anyway, just my humble opinion.

Now continue on in your super hexagon flamewar...
Did you play the newer version of Super Vortex with the invert/sensitivity option?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilby View Post
Hey polygame I hadn't actually seen your app until now. Wow Deep Vortex is very close to the original you're right. Don't be confused by the title of the post as me going hey look every body I designed and made and came up with the concept for this, I think this is some sort of automated thing that gets the app details from the app store.

I just want to put a few things straight though. Indeed I did purchase this template from deep blue apps when it was released. I spent about 2 days changing it from a seizure inducing thing into Super Vortex. I had a couple of days to myself one weekend and just did it for fun (which is what making games should be). However during device testing found it to run like complete crap on iphone 4. I then spent another 2 days tearing the code apart to optimise it. You can see a before and after here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gg7wR2M38

I then published it. I am a freelance Corona developer by trade so I just wanted to stick it in my portfolio really. In all honesty I thought it would be lost in the void of the app store and would not be downloaded by anybody. I didn't even plug the iOS version on my facebook page, so basically nobody except for me knew about it!

However purely by chance I noticed it had appeared on the Touch Arcade forums and some of the guys on here liked it. It's great when this sort of thing happens as you can hear what people think about a game and develop it further based on their feedback which I have also done.

Super Vortex isn't going to make me some sort of overnight millionaire like Flappy Bird would have done, so don't let that fuel your rage, it only gets about a meagre 3-400 downloads per day. Unfortunately I feel your beef is with deep blue apps not myself. I mean they must have sold a fair few copies of this now. I saw somebody had just published the template as it was without changing anything, not even the name if I remember right. Lets face it though, crappy as this is probably 90% of the games in the app store are clones/copies/variations of other popular games.

So I'm sure this hasn't really helped your rage but I just wanted you to hear my side of things as I am sure it is similar to many others who have used the template have done.
No worries dude, I figured you wouldn't have known. Sorry man, was one of those "think before you hit send" moments. Lol.

I was the same with codestorm, just released it and it was picked up by the forums... I wasn't expecting it (or any game I make) to make me rich. It was actually just an experiment by myself to see if I could make something simple and fun, stepping away from "standard" game design.

Obviously you can imagine I was pretty pissed when that template came out. Not because of money, I know how hard it is to make anything from the App Store, it was just that something I'd made had been blatantly copied and worse yet, made as a template, so many more people can do the same thing!

I've spoken to DBA and have decided to let it slide as, despite similarities, is IS possible that we had the same idea. I really doubt that's the case but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If anything, it's actually worse for people like yourself who legitimately thought you were buying an original game.

It's a shame, as I'd have been happy for them to do an "official" template.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and I do like what you've done with the template, looks super sweet!

Again, sorry for my "rage", you were totally undeserving of that.

Good luck!

Karl.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLYGAMe View Post
No worries dude, I figured you wouldn't have known. Sorry man, was one of those "think before you hit send" moments. Lol.

I was the same with codestorm, just released it and it was picked up by the forums... I wasn't expecting it (or any game I make) to make me rich. It was actually just an experiment by myself to see if I could make something simple and fun, stepping away from "standard" game design.

Obviously you can imagine I was pretty pissed when that template came out. Not because of money, I know how hard it is to make anything from the App Store, it was just that something I'd made had been blatantly copied and worse yet, made as a template, so many more people can do the same thing!

I've spoken to DBA and have decided to let it slide as, despite similarities, is IS possible that we had the same idea. I really doubt that's the case but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If anything, it's actually worse for people like yourself who legitimately thought you were buying an original game.

It's a shame, as I'd have been happy for them to do an "official" template.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and I do like what you've done with the template, looks super sweet!

Again, sorry for my "rage", you were totally undeserving of that.

Good luck!

Karl.
Hey Karl

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand your frustrations!

Good luck to you too
Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Hey Karl

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand your frustrations!

Good luck to you too
Cheers! We've got heaps of competition, LOL. I just counted six games made with the template... And that's just the ones I've found. At least you improved it!

I'm actually getting out of iOS dev, tbh... too many scammers and Apple/Google really don't give a crap. Gonna concentrate on PC and consoles... Tempted to not even release my next racer for iOS... too difficult to get noticed and I need to pay the bills! Haha.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Tried this, has potential, developer if you ever see this can you add a reverse control scheme? If you press right, it should go right, and left, it should go left. Please add an inverse control scheme too like how it is on Super Hexagon, thanks!
Quote:
Did you play the newer version of Super Vortex with the invert/sensitivity option?
Yes, just did, thanks for putting it in! Much much better.

Maybe one day you can add ios 7 joystick support. Thanks!