START. Oh, wait... Where to begin?!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pante, Mar 10, 2009.

1. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    hi guys.
    so...

i want to make my very own, very FIRST iphone/ipod touch app ever. maybe even game later. but i have to admit one thing... i never tried to make such a product. so i need your help. what do i have to do first? where to begin?

please help me. tell me everything i need to know. i really want to learn all this stuff. so don't write if you don't want to help.

oh, and one more time: PLEASE :)

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Ok, so learning is difficult, but fun. Don't give up! The best place to start (after you have a 10.5 osx mac) is to go to www.schenkstudios.com/downloads.HTML here are freer tutorials!!

3. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    thank you!
    i have 10.5 osc mac so that's one problem solved.
    i have an iphone + ipod touch - so here is another one solved.

but tutorials on this website does not show the starting point....

4. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Search this subforum (iPhone and iPod Touch Developers) for the word "books", I think it will give you some threads about people who want to learn how to code and which books to get for that. (Don't ask me though, I can't code. :))

5. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    so i understand coding is the only way? there is no program that gives you solutions?

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    List:
    Need a mac (10.5 Os or higher)
    SDK (If you want to sumbit apps you have to pay a 99$ dev fee)
    Unity (for 3D games)
    Knowlege of either one of these: C,objective C, C++,C# (possibly java,html,javascript)

Thats it.

7. Schenk Studios

Schenk Studios Well-Known Member

To quote numerous other developers on Touch Arcade...

"There is no, make a game button"

Your best bet is to start learning how to code/program. I just posted a mini book that is free to download here.

8. oioioi

oioioi Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Unity cost hundreds of dollars, maybe try something free first? sio2 is a open source 3D game engine, export directly from blender and load up in xCode whit some few lines, and the best part: it's free, you just need to mention that you used sio2. sio2 is written in pure C, so if you want to make booth games and app whit GUI you have to learn objectiv-c

There is also a 3D engine where you can make games whiteout knowing coding, can't remember the name. It's not free.

Hope this helps a bit:)

9. Maybe there are packages to make the development of games easier. But you might as well as buckle down and learn how to code. In the end, there is no substitute for it.

And, when the iPhone is no longer the platform everyone is talking about, you'll be able to move right on into the next thing, because your skills will transfer rather than being tied to one specific tool.

10. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    ohh you could also learn openGL to make your own 3D engine.

11. oioioi

oioioi Member

Mar 5, 2009
    That would probably be to hard for a guy who is new to programming

12. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Seriously, if the OP is leery of learning programming in the first place, I don't think encouraging him to write a 3D engine is the way to go. In fact, that's really not a good thing for anyone who's new to programming. Always best to start 2D and work your way into 3D. Of course, he could still learn OpenGL and make a 2D game, but I think there are better routes to go.

As for a more "drag and drop" approach, the only solution I'm aware of is Torque Game Builder. I have no experience with it, however, so hopefully someone else could speak to it's strengths and weaknesses. I will say that to an extent it addresses one poster's concerns about having skills beyond the iPhone in case no one cares about the iPhone a year from now (unlikely, but according to that guy from Palm it could happen :D)

13. Erik32

Erik32 Member

Feb 9, 2009
    #13 Erik32, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
    the easiest thing is to sign up as an apple developer. Download xCode, and then watch the videos, and compile and deploy one of the sample applications.

That goes a long way towards understanding the basic tools. After that you can scheme up a free-style modification to one of the samples and make sure you can implement that. From there you can create your own rudimentary Hello World app.

Only then would I even bother thinking about using a 3rd party framework. You sort of need to understand what you are replacing or augmenting first.

14. rcloudsoftware

rcloudsoftware Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    I actually just started a column about iPhone programming, and the first articles cover these exact topics. I have seen so many people asking the same, simple, beginner questions that I wanted to incorporate the answers into a single place...and I thought it was a good way to start a new weekly column.

There are some existing columns about iPhone SDK programming, but relatively few. The most useful resources I've found are the good comunity forums (like iphonedevsdk.com for example) I saw the void as an opportunity to contribute, and I hope that in the following weeks some of you developers here will read my articles and learn something.

I would love to hear your feedback, including ideas for upcoming articles (once I get past the very basics).

The column is called R.Code, the first article is at:

http://www.tenfingersclub.com/2009/03/12/rcode-iphone-sdk-tutorials/

Thanks
    Ryan