Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-06-2014, 04:24 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

The lack of tactile feedback takes a bit of getting used to for virtual control games... It doesn't take too long to get used to it though, especially if ios is the only platform you use on a regular basis.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Think touch screen buttons for platformers work so well (which surprised me). Also i play a LOT of First Touch Soccer which has a joystick on the left and control buttons on the right, so used to that now as i've played about 800 games on it.

Also makes it far easier playing most touch screen games now

I find it crazy/strange when devs come out with a game and try something new which is a huge risk, eg a bullet hell game and they dont use relative touch, or a standard platformer and they dont have left/right/jump buttons.

I love Gridlee (MAME) but overall i find that much easier to use with an 8 bitty joystick
Old 02-06-2014, 05:07 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Think touch screen buttons for platformers work so well (which surprised me). Also i play a LOT of First Touch Soccer which has a joystick on the left and control buttons on the right, so used to that now as i've played about 800 games on it.

Also makes it far easier playing most touch screen games now

I find it crazy/strange when devs come out with a game and try something new which is a huge risk, eg a bullet hell game and they dont use relative touch, or a standard platformer and they dont have left/right/jump buttons.

I love Gridlee (MAME) but overall i find that much easier to use with an 8 bitty joystick
I agree about platformers; they don't seem like they'd work well with a touch screen, but they generally are quite playable, if they're balanced well. Many of my favorites have been updated for iOS7 controller support, and I do think that even great touch screen games like Shadow Blade play better with physical controls, but they definitely can still be made quite good for touch.

I never had the 8Bitty; I'm curious, was it good? If you've used any of the MFi controllers, would you say they're better or worse?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:01 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

when I got the iPad for myself in 2010 I wasn't good at touchscreen until I got used to it. I use stylus for the game like Infinity Blade series but I decided to ditch it and use own fingersssss. using physical controllers does not make me a real gamer. experience makes me a real gamer

as a multiplatform gamer there's alot of gamers at IGN, Kotaku, Destructoid, Gamespot and any other websites are like:
HUUUUUURRRRR!!!!!! I USE PHYSICAL CONTROLLER TO PLAY REAL GAMES!!!! DURRRRRRRR!!!!!
DEEERRRPPPPP!!!! I USE PHONE TO CALL PEOPLE AND NOT FOR PLAYING CRAPPY GAMES!!!!!!!! DUUURRRR!!!!
HHHUUUURRR!!!! MOBILE GAMES ARE NOT REAL GAMES!!!!!!! HUUURRRRR!!!!

keep in mind that I'm not a fanboy like those gamers
Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacleod View Post
I never had the 8Bitty; I'm curious, was it good? If you've used any of the MFi controllers, would you say they're better or worse?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/

Think you can probably pick them cheap off ebay nowadays. They are good and look really cool but the key mapping can be a nightmare. They're like a 'mini icade' but for some games i've had to use the shoulder button to jump as like i say the mapping is dire

For Gridlee (MAME) its fine though and thats what i mostly use it for. Nice little gadget and something to take with me in my bag rather than my iCade !
Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/

Think you can probably pick them cheap off ebay nowadays. They are good and look really cool but the key mapping can be a nightmare. They're like a 'mini icade' but for some games i've had to use the shoulder button to jump as like i say the mapping is dire

For Gridlee (MAME) its fine though and thats what i mostly use it for. Nice little gadget and something to take with me in my bag rather than my iCade !
Thanks; I think the ship on the iCade has sailed somewhat now that there is an official standard, and I'm doubtful that many new games will support it. I always wanted one though, and I hope the company releases a newer controller with Apple's support
Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Being someone who's played iOS games exclusively for a few years and then just recently began gaming again on my 3DS, I can confidently say that I much prefer buttons for pretty much every genre.

I wish it weren't true as I love the convenience of my iPhone and iPad,