iPhone Starfleet 2013 hd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by dedyp79, Jan 15, 2014.

1. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    S t a r f l e e t 2 0 1 3™ hd
    App Description

S T A R F L E E T 2 0 1 3™ is a computer-simulated battle based upon the famous Star Trek television series and the board game Star Fleet Battles . Via computer terminal, you can clash with enemy Klingon battlecruisers /D7 Class and use the same strategies that captains use. You control a Federation vessel similar to the Constitution; an academy computer program directs the enemy.

Price $33.99 :eek:

Anyone tried?

https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id733060584?mt=8&at=10l4yW&ct=siteappfeed

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    You're kidding, right? I really doubt anyone is going to get this. Not to mention that I'm sure it's COMPLETELY unauthorized.

Oh, and if you have a PC and want a good Trek game (also unauthorized, but at least it's free), go here:

http://ststcs.slightlysilly.com/

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just ridiculous and stupid to set that price. I mean at that price you want to see tons of videos/reviews about it , just seems to be a dev trying his luck

4. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Lol...just curious about this game :)

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    $34! I'll buy 2. :D

6. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    The screenshots convincing me so much for even bigger price!

7. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    reminds me of a game I used to play on my spectrum....30 years of inflation makes it priced just about right lol

8. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    You talking about the old Trek game where you went around sector by sector hunting Klingons? And you could allocate powere to shields or engines, and then stop at starbases to repair and restock torpedos? There are several great versions of that game already on iPhone and iPad, and they are MUUUUCH cheaper than this one.

My favorite is called Galaxy Trek and even has a slick ST:TNG inspired "LCARS" interface.

9. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    But at this price, he only needs to sell one.

Crazy like a fox...

10. roninld

roninld Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    File size is only 1.2 MB!

That is some optimization.

11. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Haha nice. It's either that or no content... I wonder?!

12. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Based on the screenshots, I'd say neither. As I recall, ASCII graphics are not super resource intensive.

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    if this one was looking for media attention, unfortunately it is overshadowed by the timely arrival of BG2:EE (which I also would not rush and buy)

14. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Early reports seem positive and indicative of a much more stable product than the first games release... Besides, it's freaking Baldur's Gate 2!

15. dominici

dominici Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Librarian
    Australia
    #15 dominici, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Where do I start? Galaxy Trek, retroTrek, PhoneTrek, Trek Quest, etc...take your pick, and cheap at a fraction of the price!

I gotta hand it to the dev, though, no guts, no glory, as they say...!!!

16. virag0

virag0 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    sysadmin
    Sydney, Australia
    A little bit of research seems to indicate that this game is not a clone of the old
    star trek "sector grid" game but an implementation of a game called "StarFleet Battles" which is a deep tactics wargame with a huge range of rules and details.
    If this game is SFB and it has a decent AI and multiplayer functionality
    and if it implements the rules of SFB accurately, it might well be something
    worthwhile. It is not clear if the dev has links with Amarillo Design who own
    SFB but if they do and it is what I believe it to be, probably a huge tactical
    gamer's benefit!

17. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Another game you might be interested in if you are reading this topic and have a Windows PC:

http://www.starfleetproject.com/

This is the page for the developer of a game called Begin, which is a super detailed starship combat simulator based on the SFB board game. The interesting thing about this game is that all commands are typed in via a text interface, as if you were actually the captain of your ship giving orders to your crew. It's pretty much as deep and "hardcore" as a game of this type gets, so be warned.

18. Kidkaos2

Kidkaos2 Member

Aug 8, 2011
    I would happily pay $40 for a real implementation of Star Fleet Battles. I spent many many hours playing the board game as a teenager. It is one of the grandfathers of board gaming but is impossible to get a game going these days.

19. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I would happily pay £20 for an iOS copy of Starflight. ;)

20. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Starfleet 2013 HD looks interesting, but as it seems unauthorised, it will likely be pulled, leaving the the buyer high and without patches subsequently...

Why can't the rights holders just make a Star Trek game like this?