★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
05-18-2016, 02:13 PM
#21
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,044
Ok someone explain the "cursed" enemy thing

When do they get cursed ? What causes it? Is there something that indicates they are cursed ? Do they remain cursed till dead ? Is there any difference when a Monster IS cursed ?
05-18-2016, 02:27 PM
#22
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm enjoying it so far but must admit it is a weird beast unlike any other game you've likely played.

Does anybody understand how character leveling works? It seems very random with no level gained for eons and then I shoot up two levels in just a couple of turns. It can't be based on the toughness of monsters as they remain constant throughout the game (I've yet to see any but the basic 4, not sure if there are more at this point).

I love how the weapons themselves level based on how many baddies you kill with them. This also is in no way transferable between same weapons, i.e. just because you've managed to level up your Vicious Crossbow in the upper left corner doesn't mean another Vicious Crossbow on the grid will grant any special advantages.

Oh, I also just learned a big blatant clue, the monster's color coding lets you know what kind of damage they do. Most do physical damage but at least one will do mana damage, and if either stat reaches 0, it's lights out.

Another 5 star MB game!
Doh, I figured out character leveling tokens. Each time a weapon on the board gains a level you get a token which then can be traded in (usually requiring 1 or 2 tokens at least with the first 4 characters) to use your character's unique skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esty8nine View Post
Ok someone explain the "cursed" enemy thing

When do they get cursed ? What causes it? Is there something that indicates they are cursed ? Do they remain cursed till dead ? Is there any difference when a Monster IS cursed ?
I can answer most of this.

Several weapons deal in curses, be it shooting off a random curse to another monster when you kill one with a certain weapon or another weapon where a monster has a chance to get cursed simply by stepping over it.

When a creature is cursed, you'll see it surrounded in a black fog.

Some weapons have different or extra effects if the targeted monster is cursed.

While I haven't seen it happen yet, supposedly each time you pick up a gem, one of the currently cursed monsters will become a ghost (I have no idea what this means).

I think curses remain until the creature is killed, but since I usually try to kill each newly appearing creature as quickly as possible, I have no clue if given enough time the effect could wear off.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 05-18-2016 at 02:37 PM.

05-18-2016, 02:43 PM
#23
Brill

After a few minutes of cluelessness I can now say this game kicks arse!
05-18-2016, 02:59 PM
#24
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
The only description needed is Michael Brough.
This!


Instabuy!!! Thanks Michael for releasing a new game for iOS.
Helix didn't sell very well, so support this man right now!!!
All his games are masterpieces, try them!
05-18-2016, 03:00 PM
#25
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 707
Can Somebody please explain the game mechanics and gameplay for dummies? ty!
05-18-2016, 03:09 PM
#26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Streaker View Post
After a few minutes of cluelessness I can now say this game kicks arse!
Same! It almost feels like a rhythm game when you get in the zone.
05-18-2016, 03:28 PM
#27
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianCoast View Post
It's clever in a Michael Brough sort of way, isn't it? I feel like I'm just getting started. I unlocked board editing with the first character and then went oh, that looks a bit hard and I don't know what I want yet.

I guess you could put the strong mana squares in the places where mana creatures turn up, and the strong health squares in places where the health creatures turn up...

I'd like to be able to save lots of different boards, in eg "board slots".

I have no idea how to play this game...
You might get a few tips if you go on the leaderboards and look at the top players' boards. You can even copy them exactly with a click of a button, provided you have the right tiles.

Last edited by sinagog; 05-18-2016 at 03:44 PM.
05-18-2016, 03:42 PM
#28
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenxe View Post
Can Somebody please explain the game mechanics and gameplay for dummies? ty!
Sure, while no pro myself yet, here's the gist.

You pick a character with their own unique abilities and quirks (like can't use ranged weapons).

Your primary mission is to run around the maze snagging stars. Each time you do you'll earn a point, heal a little, and randomize the current level's layout.

You fight the monsters by bumping into them with the damage and damage type done based on the weapon on the space you're standing on when you attack. Each time you kill a baddy, the weapon on the space you're standing on gets a point of experience. Get enough points and the weapon will level up (often giving it new cool powers) and you'll gain a token which can be used to activate your character's special ability.

So the key to making it anywhere in the game is matching up the right damage type to a given enemy (i.e. a cube would need 4 points of physical damage to take out but even the weakest of magical attacks will kill him in a single hit), and try to kill beasties from the same space as much as possible to level up the weapons quicker and thus earning more tokens.

All unlocks in the game are based on reaching threshold scores with the characters. Like how you need to get at least 32 points with each individual character to edit their grid of weapons, and score at least 64 to unlock the first of 4 bonus characters.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-18-2016, 03:50 PM
#29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Sure, while no pro myself yet, here's the gist.

You pick a character with their own unique abilities and quirks (like can't use ranged weapons).

Your primary mission is to run around the maze snagging stars. Each time you do you'll earn a point, heal a little, and randomize the current level's layout.

You fight the monsters by bumping into them with the damage and damage type done based on the weapon on the space you're standing on when you attack. Each time you kill a baddy, the weapon on the space you're standing on gets a point of experience. Get enough points and the weapon will level up (often giving it new cool powers) and you'll gain a token which can be used to activate your character's special ability.

So the key to making it anywhere in the game is matching up the right damage type to a given enemy (i.e. a cube would need 4 points of physical damage to take out but even the weakest of magical attacks will kill him in a single hit), and try to kill beasties from the same space as much as possible to level up the weapons quicker and thus earning more tokens.

All unlocks in the game are based on reaching threshold scores with the characters. Like how you need to get at least 32 points with each individual character to edit their grid of weapons, and score at least 64 to unlock the first of 4 bonus characters.
Nice round up. Could you elaborate on how the deck building works ?
05-18-2016, 03:50 PM
#30
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 92
I was very interested in this game for a while now... After reading this thread, everyone seems to love it so I bought it too lol.