"Both OpenFeint and GameCenter" Integrated

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RttaM, Sep 19, 2010.

1. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    This really grinds my gears. I mean the whole point of GC is to replace OF. Plus you can TRANSFER your scores, achievements, etc over to GC developers.

I was disappointed when I saw some of my favorite games still have OF integrated.

Just let OF Die...

2. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    I think that these games should encourage a slow fade out of Open Feint. Maybe start by Getting rid of OF achievements and then delete the whole thing together after a while.

3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Not everyone has a Game Center compatible device. Think of other people and not just yourself. Thank youuuu.

4. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Apple could have easily implemented GC into older devices. Until they do, OF is never going away.

5. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    #5 olliewollie, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Thats a false accusation. The devices aren't capable of the multiplayer support and don't you think apple would like to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible?

Unfortunately as devices get more better and software uses more Memory your going to have to update your device. Why should the people who have gone out of there way to upgrade there device have to sit back and lag in stuff meant for outdated devices. It's like a Playstation Game Developer, They have given up on older consoles as they aren't stable enough for there games.

Developers are properly going to drop OF support as most users will just find it annoying having these leaves all over there ipod asking them if they want to enable some think called open feint (New users which will dominate the market over the next thew years). Un fortunately OF will lose it's users as people upgrade to Iphone/Itouch 4 to get the latest features. OF has all ready seen a huge blow in it's user levels, it's just going to keep dropping. The amount of supported games will drop and new developers wont implement it into there games.

Thanks

6. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    The thing about OF is that it works on all devices and has more features like downloadable replay data connected to leaderboards. Game Center has none of that yet - it has so many missing features compared to OF.

For a game like Jet Car Stunts, that offers replays and challenges, Game Center offers nothing for the features we want. In the future we will probably use OF and Game Center and use the best of both worlds.

Another thing to consider is Game Center is only for iDevices and OF is now cross platform with Android and more systems on the way.

So developers would be stupid to drop OF for Game Center, while not looking at the whole picture.

7. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    OF was even worse then GC when it first came out. Give it a little time and it will be allot better. + Apple can do more with GC then what OF can do, It's there software and they can always add things via the internet (As Game Center is hosted online.)

Also, I heard that apple are doing something (I think with google) that will link game center between the two OS's together. I dont know exactly where I heard this but apple and google have worked together numerous times before.

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I don't really know what you mean by "the people who have gone out of there way to upgrade there device have to sit back and lag in stuff meant for outdated devices". How would it lag their device? I mean all services, OF, Plus+, Crystal etc, ask if you want to enable the service. If you don't want to, don't. Is that really so hard? How would it lag?

I don't think OF will be dropped completely. Maybe some developers may drop OF, but not all. Especially now since some Android games are available with OF support, developers may want to have games with a universal leaderboard. Game Center will obviously be iOS specific, but if OF is on iOS, Android, and maybe even WP7 in the future, they may see that as a selling point because some people may want to compete against their friends who have different devices.

Obviously OF support will be decreasing, but will it go away completely? I don't think so.

9. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    By lag I mean "lag in the past" as in stay in the past. If all OF will in a while be all-most gone on the ios platform but fine, it probably will adapt to android.

10. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    I haven't read the whole thread, but IMO OF is superior.

Just my two cents.

11. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    They're definitely capable. I have played more complex games than Fruit Ninja online, even on my "outdated" iPod that's barely 2 years old. In all honesty, Apple could have let me run all of the iOS 4 features (obviously excluding FaceTime and multitasking), but they kept those features for the newer devices, just to sell more units. It's an unfair system that treats new customers and fanboys that have enough money to upgrade every year over people like me, who don't think that it's worth $250 for a device that will be outdated in a year. This will not work if they want GameCenter to take over OpenFeint as the leading iOS gaming network.

12. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    If you don't like OF, just disable it. Lot's of people do like it, and a huge chunk of ideviceseses don't support GC. What's the big deal exactly, why not have both? Multiple options are a good thing.

@ the OP - have a good cry about it. I hope it grinds your gears until they slip. lot more people would be upset to see their favorite game drop OF if they don't have a GC compatible device. It would cost them something, while it costs you nothing.