Engine/Software

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Hmar9333, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm planning to create a simple, yet addictive puzzle game, however, I don't know which engine to use.

I want a free, easy to use software to develop my app.

Is GameSalad any good?

2. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    If your looking into 2D, Cocos2d iPhone is probably what you want. AFAIK, GameSalad hasn't announced their iPhone plans yet.

3. yarri

yarri Well-Known Member

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I use GameSalad (check out Lunar Smoke in my sig) and have done a decent amount of progress in the short time I've been with it. Like any piece of software, you'll wanna take a couple weeks to learn the in and outs, the basic tips and tricks, and the minimal terms. If you have little to no (I have a bit of Python) programming experience, you'll wanna go with this one. It's simple and does a lot of the heavy-lifting for you. If you already have a decent to a lot of experience with C (I'm not sure which variation is actually used :p), you might wanna expand your horizons with actual coding.

GameSalad however still is in beta. Apple rejected the preview app because of the rule against emulators/virtual machines that execute their own code, but they've been working on an alternative along with the app, so they aren't worried at all (they're almost exact words). I'd say it'll be out within the next two months (about the time needed to create a polished, simple/semi-complex game).

Just check out some of the games here. Some are actually pretty impressive.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about the engine.

5. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    I'm also using gamesalad to make my game, and you can do lots of things with the engine. the only problem is that its still in beta.