Zip - a unique indie platformer coming out in March

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Martin Gimpl, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Gimpl

Martin Gimpl Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Design & Development
    #1 Martin Gimpl, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013

Update:
    Zip has been released.

New game thread is here:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=183135

This "Upcoming" thread is now closed.

----

Hi everyone! I'm one third of an indie dev team for a soon-to-be released iOS game called Zip.

The game tells the story of space cadet Zip and his spaceship Alice who end up in an accident in a remote area of the galaxy. The game is a 2D, free-to-move, 360° platformer with heavy emphasis on space physics. We think it's quite unique in many aspects, from the gameplay mechanics to our low-poly look. We have very simple touch controls without any virtual buttons.

Check out our promotional trailer to get a better idea:

Our website with screenshots and high-quality trailer video: http://www.zip-game.com

We're targeting a release for later this month.

2. Martin Gimpl

Martin Gimpl Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Design & Development
    #2 Martin Gimpl, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    Some screenshots from Zip. These are from the iPhone5. The game is Universal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description:

When daring space cadet Zip and his trusty spaceship Alice get hit by a stray asteroid in a remote area of the galaxy, their adventures take an unfortunate turn. Help Zip run, fly, and dodge his way through dangerous sectors in a quest to power his spaceship and return home. But beware, not everything in this asteroid-laden region is what it seems…

AN EPIC SPACE ADVENTURE UNLIKE ANY OTHER
    Explore 32 hand-crafted levels filled with grumbling aliens, menacing robots, steaming planets, booming explosions, and much more! With special boss encounters and an unfolding storyline to follow, there’s plenty of excitement in store.

UNIQUE PHYSICS-BASED GAMEPLAY
    There’s no up and down in space! Walk around planets with 360 degree freedom, then jump to another one as you advance towards your next checkpoint. With randomized gameplay, you have to keep a constant eye out on incoming dangers — or you’ll be sent flying into outer space. Unless you luck out, and end up landing on another planet…

AN AUDIO-VISUAL EXTRAVAGANZA
    With a cool “low-poly” retro look, and a pumping soundtrack to match, the adventure will be a treat to your eyes and ears. Parallax backgrounds, lighting effects, and smooth animations bring the world to life.

SIMPLE CONTROLS
    Take full control of Zip without any virtual buttons. Just press-and-hold anywhere on the screen to move in that direction, then tap with two fingers to launch your trusty rocket pack. Zoom out to see what dangers lie ahead, master the effects of gravity, and learn how to deflect off planets.

ACHIEVEMENTS & LEADERBOARDS
    With Game Center achievements, you’ll have something extra to work towards. Collect scattered metal pieces to perfect levels and climb the leaderboards. Can you beat your friends’ scores?

100% INDEPENDENT SOFTWARE
    Created from pure love by three independent software developers, this game is guaranteed to contain no excess fat, additives, or smurfberries.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Recommended iPhone models: iPhone 4 • iPhone 4S • iPhone 5
    Recommended iPad models: All generations, including iPad mini
    Recommended iPod touch models: iPod touch 4th Gen • iPod touch 5th Gen
    iOS 4.3 or later required.

Universal application: works on all devices • Retina graphics • Game Center supported

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Holy crap!!!

Will it support widescreen?

4. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    wow, the graphic! i can't resist... it's 100% cooler than 3D, cool retro graphic.... bet this will come on next thursday... safing money from now... an instabuy :D

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Looks great!

6. Martin Gimpl

Martin Gimpl Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Design & Development
    Yes, we support native resolutions of all current hardware, including iPhone 5 / iPod touch 5 widescreen. The screenshots above are from iPhone 5.

In fact, widescreen on the phone is a great way to play due to our control mechanics.

Expect 60FPS on it, too ;)

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Awesome! Great to hear it. AND 60FPS?!?! Freak'n sweet! =oD

8. Martin Gimpl

Martin Gimpl Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Design & Development
    If all goes well, we'll be submitting to Apple on Monday. Should be out in a week or so after that, I'd gather.

The graphics are in fact technically 3D, but the game plays in 2D. Hence, some call this hybrid: "2.5D" :)

9. Martin Gimpl

Martin Gimpl Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Design & Development
    Yes, 60FPS on the widescreen devices. According to our testing, all A5-class devices get 60FPS. That includes iPad 2 and above, iPad mini, iPhone 4S and above, and the newest iTouch. A4-class devices clock around 45FPS.

10. Blackcat1313

Blackcat1313 Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Aaaaaaand I am SOLD on this. The only other game I can think of which works similarly to this is Sunshine and thats still totally different ballpark. Damn this looks great, nice work.

11. Martin Gimpl

Martin Gimpl Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Design & Development
    Thanks! We're super excited to get the game out, as its been in the works for over a year and it's our first ever release.

I own Sunshine and played it enough to say that while the games share similarities, Zip is more an adventure game with a story, free movement, and strategic gameplay. It's also far less punishing :)

12. Blackcat1313

Blackcat1313 Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Good to hear...

13. Black Ops

Black Ops Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Who doesn't want Smurfberries? They are delicious and nutritious. The fat & additives you can keep, but put the Smurfberries back in!

I'll give you 24 hours to fix this before I send Hefty Smurf over to beat the snot out of you.

14. Martin Gimpl

Martin Gimpl Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Design & Development
    Zip has been submitted to Apple for review. Thanks for your support everyone, see you on the flip side…

15. Martin Gimpl

Martin Gimpl Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Design & Development
    Zip now live on the App Store

Just letting anyone who might still be looking at this thread know that the game has gone live on the store:

www.appstore.com/zip

16. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied