Comet Blaster

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Brilliant AiRic, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Brilliant AiRic

Brilliant AiRic Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    I created Comet Blaster to explore a unique mechanic that I've never experienced in depth while using an iPhone. I imagined the mechanic late one night while playing with the icons on my iPad. The mechanic is simple, but powerful - touching in one area of the screen while simultaneously touching another to create a line between the two points. I created this video to show off what I've been working on.

2. Artemys

Artemys Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    High-School Student
    This game looks amazing! When will it be released?

3. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Release

Thank you! I'm hoping to release it soon.

4. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Comet Blaster Update

Here is an update on my iPhone game Comet Blaster.

I've quit my day job to work on Comet Blaster full time. Comet Blaster is now my day job, I feel this is the only way I can truly create something great.

I've created around 100 levels (skies) with 6 different game elements. The more I've worked at this the more I realize the ultimate goal is to create the most engaging experience possible. I don't think anyone will enjoy or be truly fulfilled by anything that's an artificial filler, so I've gone through each level carefully and reduced the number of skies to 30. That will give a 15 - 30 minute engaging experience as apposed to a 1 - 2 hour good/okay experience. I have the next 15 or so skies all drawn up, but I want to see how these 30 go before I continue building. There are currently two galaxies with slightly different colorations to provide variance containing 15 skies. You must obtain a high enough star rating to move to the next galaxy.

Comet Blaster will be free. It will offer a few in-app purchases, so I don't go completely broke ;). You'll have the ability to purchase hints on skies to help you earn 3 stars, you can buy your way to the next galaxy if you haven't earned enough stars, and make a donation to me. The app will be ad-free (NO ADS, I HATE ADS) and will not contain any hidden bullshit to make you pay money.

I'm currently just finishing up the final in-app purchases and working out the final bugs. Trying to launch this thing as soon as possible! Wish me luck while I finish this up :).

Here are recent images from the game.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    This looks pretty good... Loving your payment model too.

I'll definitely download this when it comes out, if it will run on a 3Gs, of course.

6. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'm wondering too how it'll work on a 3Gs. I have a beta copy I could send you later today or tomorrow if you want to sign up on testflight here: http://tflig.ht/gRS1na we could check it out and I could make any necessary tweaks.

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I'd love to test it; signed up.

8. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    nice :)

awesome, I see your request. let me finish up a few things and I'll send it out

9. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Nice to see this thread pop up again; I'm impressed with the gameplay mechanic, and can imagine that a lot of variety could go into this title. Hope that your spot testing goes well, and you'll be able to let this go out soon! :)

10. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for the nice comment and encouragement. You have no idea how much a few kind words or critical feedback can help when you're pouring your soul into something. The last thing I want is dead silence ;). I'm feeling like it's about 90% ready to launch. Should be able to push to apple in about a week, which means it should be available in a week or two. I'll keep you guys updated on this thread.

Sent you the Beta last night, sorry about the delay, I'm super picky, and didn't want to send it out with any major bugs. This is the 4th round of Beta testing. I checked a few things out and it is compatible with 3Gs and above. The problem is, is I'm primarily using an iPhone 5, so in comparison there could be some performance issues, but we'll see. Hoping for the best. If there are performance issues, I can always reduce the amount of details on older devices. I have been designing for the different screen sizes so that shouldn't be an issue. Looking forward to hearing from you.

11. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Ready to Launch

Over the past few weeks I've been focused on learning as much as I can once I release Comet Blaster. This first launch in my mind is a final product, but I want to treat it as an experiment. One big things I've done is built my own custom analytics. I've been trying to build the analytics around all of the problems I can foresee. That may not be so bad, but I realized I've already come up with hypothesis to fix the problems that I'm expecting. Part of the reason I've done this is because Apple's App release cycles are so slow. I think in reality my thinking is going to deep and is wasteful. I need to create a control group for my experiment and exam the problems. I'm going to work hard the next two days and submit the game to Apple, so expect to see Comet Blaster in the store in about a week!

12. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
  13. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Congrats on the release! I'd recommend this game to anyone who is hesitating whether to get this or not. I'll leave a review on the AppStore.

PS: make a thread in "iPhone and iPod touch games".

I also have to thank you that you let me beta test it; thanks for that :)

14. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

15. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Thank you! I'm working on fixing some of the lag on the explosions with older devices and almost have the next galaxy complete!

Good point - started a new thread here http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2958480#post2958480

Thank you! It's already getting some good traction.