Best 4x game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Gamer1st, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    I'm interested in getting a 4X game but I want one that's not too overcomplicated, (my medications keep me from being able to keep a huge amount of info in my head at once).
    What is the best of the 4x games on iPad, and would also be least likely to be too confusing for a total noob?

2. Do you mean 2x iphone only games?

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Do you mean multiplayer on same device?

4. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
  5. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    The main two I keep seeing, and that keep tempting me, are Alien Tribe 2 and Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy.
    Eclipse looks good but I'm wondering if it'll give me a case of brain lock. I used to be able to play chess and think four or five moves ahead, but now I'm lucky to be able to think one or two ahead.
    It's also possible the 4X genre isn't anywhere near as complex as I think they are and I'm just psyching myself out.

6. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Eclipse is very good. Haven't played Alien Tribe 2 as it's RTS but with the current $2.99 sale price I may give it a shot. I repeat my recommendation for Starbase Orion though. It's based on the classic Masters of Orion 2.

7. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I'd avoid Eclipse, it's a nightmare to understand. I bought it 5-6 months ago and STILL don't understand how to play.

I would recommend you check out Alien Tribes 2, Starbase Orion, Ascendancy and Distant Star on you tube and see which appeals to you.

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Vincere Totus Astrum is an easy pick up and play without the learning curve. Very immersive and easy to spend hours on without realizing it, and a good segway into the genre.

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Distant star used to be incredible but for some reason they took out the multiple races and some other stuff and now it's just not the same

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I have both Starbase Orion and Ascendancy, and think the latter is easier to play in terms of information needed (e.g. smaller tech tree), but requires more micromanagement: you build individual buildings on your planets, and some are huge (e.g. having 20 factories plus other stuff).
    For a realtime 4x with the best building AI I know try Imperium Galactica 2: It is also the only one I know on iOS with actual story, campaign and scenarios.

For later, there is an upcoming spiritual successor to Master of Magic (Orion in Fantasyland, fantastic game. If you have a PC, go find it; quite sure it is on Abandonia.com). Ah ja, here you go: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=185379

In any case, best of luck in finding something that suits you!

P.S.: Looked at Ecplise on the Appstore: yikes! Completely incomprehensible from the screenshots, and I play 4x all the way back to the first Master of Orion and before.
    Vincere Totus Astrum I'll give a shot, on the other hand.

11. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for all the input guys. I've got a nice list of candidates now if I don't get too bogged down mentally playing. I ended up getting Tribes 2 to start and to at least get a slight feel for the genre. It helped that it was cheap and has a vary small install footprint at 85ish mb.
    I never know if a game is going to overload me mentally until I give it a try. Even switching from reading to listening to a voice is enough to lock me up, so I have a pretty low threshold when it comes to multitasking.

12. Empfmil

Empfmil Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Civilization: Revolution? Its not space themed bur I am pretty sure the gameplay is similar to 4X.

13. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    I'd say starbase Orion or ascendency too, both are really good, but if u have a PC, get endless space, sins of a solar empire or star drive

14. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Ascendancy is really fun.
    Civ is a 4X game, 4X doesn't totally mean sci fi.
    KoDP is another, a fantasy based 4X with a huge story. Read the ENTIRE manual before play tough. It'll help alot.

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I second KoDP. Has lots of text, but no voiceacting, which might make it easier for you.
    Making notes helps too, e.g. about what your advisors tell you ("we should raid this year to please our ancestors").

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
  17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The only 4X I am playing now is Empire Deluxe Mobile Edition. Fast games with helpful automation options like auto explore and routing of units to target destinations...

18. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    SpacewardHo also good for newbie

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The Windows version of Spaceward Ho I played long long ago was very newbie friendly. Later versions, including the iOS port seem too complex.

I remember regularly beating the ancient Windows (3.1? 95?) version, but never being able to win the iOS one.

20. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I wouldn't classify Empire Deluxe (or any straight-up war game) as 4X. There's no technological or economic aspect and no non-military way to win.